Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    yearling            11-04-2003, 7:49 PM Reply   
Im buying a boat this winter. I want to compare what the wakes are like between different boats. Whoever wants to can post or tell about their wakes, and what boat it is. Cant wait to see...
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-04-2003, 8:04 PM Reply   
Your profile shows your 13 yrs. old. What is your price range and will your mom be towing it to the lake for you?
Well anyway I think you should check out the new VLX, They have a great wake and you would get lot's of girls with it.
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-05-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
02' X-Star W/ Stock Ballast and a few people
wake
Old    yearling            11-05-2003, 2:04 PM Reply   
Yeah im 13 and Im payin for the boat out of my own pocket. I have to work my tail off. My freind and I tow each other, and ive been driving a boat all my life. I have also lived on the lake all my life. Im definitly not looking at a new boat, but i still want to see the difference between the new and old boats. By the way that wake is huge!
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-05-2003, 2:28 PM Reply   
Go get em little buddy!!! Are you thinking about financing the boat? If so, HOW? Anyway, not my business, but you need to think all of these things through. Whats your price range? What boats are you interested in?
Old    yearling            11-05-2003, 4:08 PM Reply   
Lol Thx. Ive thought this through for 3 months now. I spend every night learning all i can about boats and wakeboarding. I am interested in a 90s malibu mc or natique 2001. I talked to some local pros and they recomend the 2001 and the malibu. My price range is open from 3,000 to 11,000. Im planning to make most of the paments and the down payment. My dad is going to take care of how we finance the boat. But ultimately its coming from my work and my money. I really got to keep my grades up and my mind set on it.
Old    chrispy1            11-05-2003, 5:01 PM Reply   
i bought my own boat , but not a fancy Inboard like you are looking at. I have been around boats all my life,and waterskiied and such since i was little. But anyways all i could afford was a 17ft 1989 maxum. It was better then no boat at all , and it was all mine. Remeber all the unseen expenses like insurnace and unseen mechanical problems
Old    yearling            11-05-2003, 6:19 PM Reply   
Im going to show you the wake that i am riding behind if i get the scanner working. It is horable, and im seariously into wakeboarding now. The wakes between the boats im looking at and the boat i have are so much different. Thats why I before i take all that into consideration; I want to see what kind of wake would be best, and what boats id be looking at.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-05-2003, 8:08 PM Reply   
I was in your same situation last winter. I live in St. Paul and I picked up a 94 MC 205. It throws a nice wake with about 2000 lbs. Check out Mark up at Son's Watersports in Anoka. He's got a 87 Nautique 2001 already fitted with a tower. www.sonswatersports.com Thats where I picked mine up. I think he wants 11,500 but it is November and im sure he would prefer to get rid of it then store it for the winter. Also, depending on your skill, any IB would do you fine. You just need enough power to be able to move the boat weighted. I was going to buy a 2001, but my family skis and I really wanted the open bow. Just think about what you're going to mainly use it for and how many people you are going to have in your boat. And make sure you hit up all your freinds for gas. Tell them to go mow some lawns or something. It's your boat, so you should have to pay to run it. You're 13, MN state law doesn't allow you to run a boat with that much HP to be able to go out solo or even drive it with your mom sitting right next to you. So look into that.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-05-2003, 8:09 PM Reply   
here's a better link http://www.sonwatersports.com/index.jsp
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-05-2003, 9:14 PM Reply   
Here is a boat and wake pic of my 86 SN 2001 with around 1800 pounds @ 20-21mph. May be hard to tell but it's nice!!

Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-05-2003, 9:20 PM Reply   
Boat

Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-05-2003, 9:20 PM Reply   
Boat

Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-06-2003, 1:00 AM Reply   
Mac, Sick boat, Keep her clean! The tower looks beauitiful on it :-)

I dont have any wake pics, I weight my 03vlx: 200 hard tanks in the back with 250 side sacs also (900 total) plus 500 in the ski locker (stock MLS 500 pounds) = 1400, then 600lb fatsac in the playpen (horizontal) = 2100lbs then the wedge and people. I have had another 600 in the wrap around seating for 2700lbs, but I didnt run the wedge, the boat would die :-). Thick wake.
Old    yearling            11-06-2003, 6:09 AM Reply   
Thx for the input mark. Ive already checked the legal limits to drive an over 200hp engine. I have my licence and ill be 14 by the next wakeboarding season. Im gona double check tonight though. Mac nice boat! and nice wake! Ive heard alot about the 2001's but I have never seen the wake.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-06-2003, 7:15 AM Reply   
If you put some weight in a 2001 you cannot can go wrong... Very nice wake. You should be able to get a 2001 under the 10k. Check for wood rot (stringers), check the compression of the engine and check the trans. Everything else is not a big issue.
To buy the boat is not the main problem. To run the baby is; it needs gas, maintenance, repairs, taxes, insurance and you wanna add stuff to it... It's an expensive sport!!!
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-06-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
Sounds like you have your stuff together...that's great I hope you find a really nice boat..Sounds like you have a really cool dad too..
good luck
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-06-2003, 9:52 AM Reply   
pic of my 04 X-Star http://www.wakepics.com/media.php?searchstr=user:2192&trick=Any&type=Any&t ime=1068140787&search=search&limit=10
Old    yearling            11-06-2003, 2:16 PM Reply   
Thanks will. Luckily enough my dad owns 2 companies so its not the shortage of money im worried about, my dad will take care of the gas and the maintainence.We have a marine right across the street also. I want to really work for the boat so I can have more respect for it, and I can say its mine.And so far the wakes from the 2001 seem really nice. Im still open to all wake pics, and im still interested in seeing the other boats.
Old    yearling            11-06-2003, 7:13 PM Reply   
Mac how did you wait that 2001. I found an awsome deal on one, but i wouldnt know where to put some sacks.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-06-2003, 10:57 PM Reply   
Had about 90# in the bow with sand bags. I had 2 750s filled to around 600#. A 600# not all the way full maybe 450-500. Me driving one little girl and one 175# guy sitting in the front pass seat. It was one of my first times out on my boat. We keep it similar to this now but put a little more in the sacs and change as needed. If your starting out you will want a little more weight to the front because the wake will be really vert(if your not use to a vert wake).
Old    yearling            11-12-2003, 6:53 PM Reply   
Did it have any troubly plaining with that much weight?
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-12-2003, 9:25 PM Reply   
Nope. It actually does quite well. I'm thinking of adding a little more which will also depend on how many people will be riding. With this boat you just don't want to much weight towards the rear.
Old    yearling            11-13-2003, 3:02 PM Reply   
Thx for the advice it helped me alot. Now I found a nautique 2001 with perfect pass custom tower tower speakers and the works for 10k. I think i might buy that if it isnt sold by the time were ready.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-13-2003, 9:48 PM Reply   
No problem. Be sure to post a pic if you get it!!
Old    shiftywakeskate            11-13-2003, 10:52 PM Reply   
how bout an older prostar 190, ive heard some good things about those. pics anyone?
Old    yearling            11-14-2003, 2:50 PM Reply   
Im still open to anything. All Pics are wanted! I just got some pics back of the wake i usually ride behind. If i get a chance ill post it soon.
Old     (maristar210)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-19-2003, 2:46 PM Reply   
if your parents are willing to drive to kansas, there is a dealer here with 3 older natiques for sale check it out, www.marineworld.com and then got to used boats.
Old    yearling            11-19-2003, 4:21 PM Reply   
Im looking at two boats right now. Both are right within a 30 minute drive. An 89 ski nautique 2001 with tower perfect pass and other goodies. Or a 90 malibu ski euro f3 with new upolstry and carpet with sound system. They both have more stuff than i can say, but im really interested in the nautique. Does anybody know how good the wake is behind a ski euro? The guy selling it said it was great, but forums are usually pretty reliable.
Old    yearling            11-19-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   

Old    yearling            11-19-2003, 4:37 PM Reply   

Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-19-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
2 p, Who made that tower?
Old    tige_joe            11-19-2003, 4:54 PM Reply   
Take the nautique.......my '89 Euro was a great slalom boat.....boat after 3 years started seeing wood rot in the floor around the back of the engine cover.....they weren't using truly good marine ply back then. Good luck!
Old    yearling            11-19-2003, 6:43 PM Reply   
The tower was custom made for the boat by the original owner. Its collapsible and I think it looks great. Im probably going to go see the boats sometime this week. I want to see how sturdy the tower is before make any assumptions.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-21-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
Problems w/ the Euro is getting the "fat-sacs" out of the way and you won't be getting a wake designed for boarding. There will be a difference, but if you are going from an I/O, you'll think you've just come across the best wake in the world. The f3, there wasn't a trunk, so you will have to walk over/around the weight all the time. The wakes will be okay, but not competition quality. If you are serious about the boarding, you may want to look more for a boat geared towards it.

Old    yearling            11-21-2003, 8:51 PM Reply   
Thx for the input malibu.Tommorow I think we might be stopping to look at the nautique. So far I really have gotten good reviews from the nautique and bad from the euro. The nautique is said to hold its value longer than the euro too. If my dad is up to going out there, then we might be bying the nautique soon. Ill keep you posted and tell you tommorow if we like it.
Old    absolutofft            11-22-2003, 1:19 AM Reply   
This thread has loads of wake pictures
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/30421.html?1034667839#POST158002
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-22-2003, 2:49 AM Reply   
Keep looking at the Nauti. It's got a great wake with just 1 500lbs fatsacks in the back and 1 250lbs in the nose.
The Nautiques are problem free boats, get everything checked (compression, wood-rot and the tranny).
I don't know if I like this tower on the Nautiques, but at least you've got one. And you need it for the boards, because of the lack of room in these boats.
Check the PerfectPass if it works good with a wakeboarder behind it.
Try to lower the price, but it seems pretty nice. Are you sure it's a '89er? you can see it at the back of the boat, at the right there should be a reg#. If it's ending on 89 then it's from 1989. Those are one of the best Nautique's 2001 models!
Old    yearling            11-22-2003, 1:11 PM Reply   
I just got back from the dealership. The nautique was great and the tower was better than I expected. It has tower speakers, perfect pass wakeboard pro, amplifier with a good sound system, and a digital depth finder. It comes with fat seat too. The hull was in great shape, but I had one concern. The engine has 1,200 hours on it. Im going to be going 4 times a week, so what should I do about the engine? The guy at the marine said that it would be about 2k to rebuild the block. Will we have problems with the engine, and if so, what do you think I should do with the enigine if we buy it?
Old    ryan38            11-22-2003, 7:57 PM Reply   
i just have one question, im 15 and ive been working since i was 13, how in the world did u make 11000 dollars?!?! i have nowhere near that amount!
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-23-2003, 9:05 PM Reply   
rebuild can be done and done right for well under 1g. It really matters how well the engine has been cared for. I have seen boats w/ 200 hours that I would not touch and some boats way into the 1000s that where well taken care of and didn't skip a beat.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-23-2003, 9:50 PM Reply   
2p, so you went to see Mark up at Son's like I told you. I looked at that boat, but Mark hooked me up with a PS205 at a great price. The block would be cheaper than that to rebuild. I have a mechanic I could refer you to if anything goes wrong. The main thing you should worry about it the tranny. I am getting mine rebuilt this winter becasue it had a bad leak. It would slip like a SOB when we weighted her. And as far as what to do right away about the engine, don't fix it until it's broken.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-24-2003, 8:43 AM Reply   
Here is my SAN team edition with 3 guys in the boat.

Old    yearling            11-24-2003, 2:39 PM Reply   
I dont want to sound like a complainer, but there are many other reasons that I am holding off on buying the boat. There is all winter to look around and keep my options open. I dont have much history on the boat at all. The upolstry would need to be redone, I would need to get a new towpoint for the engine, and I didnt have a chance to check compression or transmition. Im definitely still looking at the boat, but there are many more out there.