Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-10-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
Ugghh. This morning was rough. My usual ride is a Ski Nautique 2001 and today I rode my buddies 98 ProStar 205. We had it sacked out pretty heavy but didn't have much weight that was really in the back. Plus we had a bow sack. It was a much longer ramp than the more abrupt style of my 2001.

I was doing rocket ship airs on almost every regular wake jump. (I rarely, if ever, do those on my 2001) I mananged a good backroll and a few good grabbed 180s but otherwise I took a beating.

It looks like I'll be riding in this boat a lot more. Is it something I'll get used to? Do you have any tips for the transition to it?

I'm not knocking the boat, it ran awesome, and it was obviously of good quality. I know this is the famed old X-Star hull, should we try more weight in the back? (That's the plan right now.)

The funny thing is my buddy, who's not the best rider out there, was going big and looking so consistent on this wake.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-10-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
probably a weighting problem. that wake is awsome
Old    K.B.C.            11-10-2007, 2:11 PM Reply   
the wake is awesome, and that's coming from a 210 owner. I really like riding behind my friends X-1

I always notice the same thing when I ride behind a boat I'm not used to. I went out on a a new X-Star earlier this year after riding behind 210s all season. I rode pretty bad and struggled the whole time. I know I'd like it and ride better behind it if I got used to it. It's hard when you take just one set behind a different boat than the one you've been riding behind, especially when the wakes are drastically different. I'd give it a few more tries and I bet you'll like it.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-10-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
Cool. I'm not trying to knock the wake in any way. It looked great from the boat and it was certainly solid. It was just really frustrating to be doing so many rocket airs. I couldn't even land TS.

Btw, will it be weird going back to my boat or do you just get used to different wakes?
Old    K.B.C.            11-10-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
it's good to get used to different wakes. you might want to try weighting it a little different as well. I didn't like my friends at first, then we got it pretty dialed and I love riding behind it now.

you'll be even more stoked on your boat the next time you go ride. I know everytime I go back to mine after riding something else it puts a smile on my face from ear to ear.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-10-2007, 2:38 PM Reply   
ride as many wakes as you can. it helps to be able to ride behind anything
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-10-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
weight it on the back!!!!
Old    d_fresh            11-11-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
Weight it like this:Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
380lbs up front, 400lb v drive sacs on each side of engine + 100lbs of pellet bags on each side of boat by each speaker. Throws a great wake!
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-11-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
when you weight the back of the boat you get a more abrupt wake. If weight is placed forward you get smoother. Perhaps if you add more in the back you could get a wake that's somewhere in between your 2001 and this you ride now.