Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (balti)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-31-2005, 6:50 AM Reply   
Hey Guys

A VAGUE question....!

What should one expect from a wakeboarding school/camp regarding improvement on your riding. Lets say you are a beginner rider.

Thanx
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-31-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
The thing I got most out of the camp was solidifying my edge and general awareness. I did not come out of it throwing crazy advanced tricks, but I did come out a better rider. I guess that means I will need another trip to the Boarding School...twist my arm!!!! Besides that, expect to get tired and sunburnt!

That was a pretty good question though! One I did not think to ask myself before going.

Eric
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-31-2005, 12:19 PM Reply   
At these camps, are your sets recorded so you can see what you're doing as well as them telling you? That's the best tool we had in skydiving. Thinking of going to a camp myself.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-01-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
Students recorded some of what went on in the boat, but neither Shaun nor Travis did that. Travis did take a bunch of digital pics on a couple days though...not really used for teaching particularly.
Not sure about other camps, but I hear they all have their own flavor.

Eric
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-01-2005, 9:03 AM Reply   
I went for the first time this year. I had only been riding 1 1/2 seasons before.

I had in mind that I would learn a bunch of new tricks. Instead, they made me go back to the basics and change a bunch of bad habits that I had built-up. Then they made me do real basic stuff like ollies, ollie 180's, wake jumps, one wake 180s and so on.

At first that was a disappointment for me. Later at home, I realized that I was much more solid and that I was able to progress a lot quicker.

One piece of advise: Try to go at a time when you have not been wqithout riding for a long time (i.e. at the end of your season). I went in May, which means I didn't ride in 7 months. The first few days were spent just getting back "into it" and fighting muscle pain!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-01-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
I think the best camp is just riding a lot. You learn more from experience and repitition. You can't learn many tricks in a week. But once you set a good foundation, you start learning tricks right and left and by the end of the summer you have a pretty decent trick list. If you have the money, go to the camp. Otherwise, take your $1300 and use it for 2 months of riding 3-4 days a week.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-01-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
Hey Leo...obviously you are ok! That's good news. I know some people on here asked about you. Sorry for the post-jack!

Eric