Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    eyesman            10-07-2003, 5:01 PM Reply   
Time to hang up my 1993 teal bob lapoint drysuit from my waterskiing days.(actually the one in my profile pic) What's the choice for wakeboarding drysuits these days and who has the best price?
Thanks,
Dave
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-07-2003, 5:08 PM Reply   
try this:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/82960.html

Or search for other drysuit related topics. This has been discussed several times in the past.
Old    eyesman            10-07-2003, 5:16 PM Reply   
excellent.
Thanks.
Old    stormrider            10-08-2003, 8:17 AM Reply   
I have an O'Niel full neoprene. I like it because the neck isn't as tight. Can't wear as much clothing underneath but I think it looks better. Neck does let some water in, which means I have to bring a couple of extra shirts. Cold water feels kinda good though after riding hard.
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-08-2003, 9:11 PM Reply   
I have the same as Steve but I just go with my birthday suit underneath(too much information?!).
No water comes in through the neck, some might creep in on the wrists on a fall but never enough to get you cold. Steve gets water through the neck because he's deficient in that area..........what is that term I'm searching for?................oh yeah, "pencil neck geek" or something.
You should be able to find one for $200-$250 tops.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-09-2003, 5:49 AM Reply   
i highly recommend a nylon baggy suit made for barefooting. Intensity and Barefoot International come to mind. I have an Intensity, it is great. Water almost never comes in, and there are "cuffs" with velcro straps over the arm and leg seals that offer added protection. Also a nylon suit offers a lot more flexibility in your joints than a neoprene, this is compounded in cold water where you are less flexible to begin with. This is the primary reason why I go straight from trunks to drysuit, my old fullsuit gets no love.

Be prepared though, you will sweat in one of these drysuits, that is the only way i get wet!

t
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-09-2003, 6:19 AM Reply   
Stick w/ BFI....awesome suits....can layer clothing underneath according to the water temp!

Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-09-2003, 9:20 AM Reply   
Tim and Forrest are right on. My BFI suit is going on 8 years and its easy to get repaired. I am not worried about how I look, its how warm I am that maters.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-09-2003, 9:31 AM Reply   
I havre a oneil baggy one and i have taken a few diggers and water still doesnt get in it is very comfortable and durable i wouldnt get anything else i have had the tight fitting ones before
Old    stormrider            10-09-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
Hey, Mike: I resemble that remark--- and I'm damn proud of it!! LOL.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            10-09-2003, 12:07 PM Reply   
I am also in the market for a dry suit - where do you recommend getting one?
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-09-2003, 12:38 PM Reply   
try rockford marina - 815/962-2930 either Justin or Brian can help you out. But I would definitly stick w/ the BFI's no matter where you pick one up. I believe the website is www.barefootinternational.com ...if not do a search on the web...or go to www.midwestwakefest.com on the sponsor page is a link....

~Forrest
Old    mmj420            10-09-2003, 4:58 PM Reply   
oneill boost (baggy style)
you can wear your sweats on underneath.....totally dry....feels like snowboard clothes........i wear as often as possible cause i really really hate cold water
call me @707-586-3900, ask for mark, we will hook you up w/ good deal
Old    falcon_o            10-10-2003, 9:04 AM Reply   
Depending upon how cold the air/water is where you ride, either the Bear Dry Tech (fleece lined) or Bear Polar Heat (removable fleece liner) are excellent suits. I have a Bear Polar Heat and found it good for both baording and salomon.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-10-2003, 11:38 AM Reply   
Dude...you just said the "s" word.... almost as bad as the "k" word!!!

""
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-10-2003, 3:12 PM Reply   
Steve, you and I apparently are the only ones on the face of the earth that use neoprene full suits. O'Neill might as well stop manufacturing them. Feels pretty good to buck the trend, doesn't it? Besides, in So Cal it's never so cold you have to layer anyway.
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-10-2003, 4:44 PM Reply   
I can't wakeboard in the winter cause everything is ised over but I know for surfing I use a 6mm wesuit with gloves, hoodie and boots and it keeps me plenty warm, face gets a little cold when i'm try'n to get out past the breakers but other than that its really warm and isn't big, baggy, and in the way.
Old    aquajack            10-11-2003, 7:35 PM Reply   
I reccomend using the bag suit, and Yes I am a dealer for BFI, but even before I picked up the line and I used to sell just the Bare line, I still personally used a BFI drysuit. That should say something. As for buying a fleece lined suit, don't, because if you do get water in your suit, you are Scr*wed for the day, it will be wet and heavy all day. If you use a non-fleece suit and it gets wet, just take it off and wipe it dry again with a towel. As for me I always wear at least a very very thin style of cotten sweats. This way the hairs on my legs do not get pinched when you are in the water and the suit compresses to your legs. It is much more comfortabel that way.
JMHO
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-11-2003, 7:40 PM Reply   
i agree about the fleece getting wet. this will happen even if you don't have water getting in the seals, it will happen when you sweat.
Old    aquajack            10-11-2003, 7:46 PM Reply   
Tim, that's why I wear the THIN Cotton Sweats and I also use a long sleave t-shirt, no matter what the temp, it helps stop the sweating problems.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-11-2003, 8:09 PM Reply   
I have found that wearing fleece or Poly Pro under your drysuit is much better. Cotton soaks up sweat/water that seaps in too much. My typical underlaying is a pair of boardshrts and a long sleeve poly pro top. Works like a charm.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-12-2003, 5:17 AM Reply   
where is the best place to buy an oneill boost?
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       10-12-2003, 11:27 AM Reply   
What about the Bare Ultra drysuit? I've gotten a lot of recommendations for that one as well, but didn't see it mentioned here.
Old    dubers            10-13-2003, 8:32 AM Reply   
Hey Woody, If your in NJ try Surf N Offshore 732-892-8303
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-13-2003, 10:03 AM Reply   
If you click on the thread above you'll see it mentioned. I have on (Bare) and like it. I ordered mine from shuswap for $260 last year.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-15-2003, 7:19 PM Reply   
I used my drysuit for the first time this past weekend since the early Spring. Man. I had forgotten just how restrictive it feels. It's a Barefoot International that I got at Jer's recommended shop, Surf & Offshore. www.soswakeboard.com
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-17-2003, 7:34 PM Reply   
Like Blabel said go with the Bare it is a good drysuit.
Old    j_nads            10-27-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
Can't go wrong with Body Glove. They are quality plus have been around for a long time.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-27-2003, 5:30 PM Reply   
i love my bare ultra dry - good price and an excellent suit.