Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-07-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
Just trying to get an Idea of who all is going to be going to this event in Orlando.

Also how come everyone calls there contest "Championships" I think contest names need to be a little more creative?

Anyway post up here if you are coming to this event please
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-07-2009, 5:50 PM Reply   
Drew,

We started trying to build a nationwide series of Championships last year. The idea was to build a series that supports a National Championship. There appears to be some activity in Europe and South America as well. Nationals, and events in other counties could feed or support Worlds.

With USA Water Ski we have reach in to the Pan Am Games and Olympic Organizing Committee. Pan AM Games are a stepping stone to the Olympics. Do we have the wherewithal to take our sport to the Olympics, I have no idea. If you don’t think big you’ll never achieve big.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
I agree on the point of every contest being called a championship. If it's the only contest in a particular state then it's not really a championship as there wasn't anything leading up to it. IMO the title begins to lose it's prestige if there's more championships than contests leading up to them. Kind of like a football team playing 18 championships before the super bowl. Nothing wrong with the words "open" "challenge" or "showdown" to name a few.

that said, I hope the contest is a success and I wish I could go

(Message edited by CAskimmer on July 07, 2009)
Old    surfdad            07-07-2009, 6:22 PM Reply   
Do you guys mean like the World Wakesurfing Championships without any support contests or well...World :-) Too funny.

I always wanted to call mine the intergallactic invitational wakesurf championship and gopher shoot. :-) but I had difficulty getting the boats. :-)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 6:41 PM Reply   
Kind of. Personally I'd like to see more than a handful of contests before we start trying to make things sound bigger than they are. At this point everything is still pretty much a grassroots competition.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
not that there's anything wrong with grassroot competitions
Old    surfdad            07-07-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
I guess that Intergallactic would be over-the-top. :-) Yeah, grassroots are great and what we have at the moment.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
I want a contest out here
(that's not when I'm in Cabo)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
btw Jeff I'm masters age starting next year

edit: sorry for the massive threadjacking Drew. I hope there's a big turnout. A successful Florida would be good for the sport.

(Message edited by CAskimmer on July 07, 2009)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-07-2009, 7:11 PM Reply   
If you only have one competition in a given state then isn't that event the defacto state championship? It’s a lot of work to put on a competition. Why not send an eight year old or a fifty year old as the state champion, really why not. It wasn’t that long ago that there was only one competition – Worlds. What a wonderful idea, start out big. Now all of us grassroots guys are working to back fill and provide the ground support for Worlds. Really, for me organizing events is about the people, I really enjoy seeing everyone and making the new friendships.

Let me preface that I’m not trying to say anything about Ohio, I’m just going to use our experience as an example. Rider’s seek sponsorship, sponsors need quality team riders to represent them. Who would you rather sponsor; “The 2005 Scioto Wakefest Champion” or “The Ohio State Wakesurfing Champion?” Maybe the Ohio riders don’t stack up well against California or Worlds riders. However, last year Ohio took Worlds Amateur Men’s, Women’s, firsts, Amateur Men’s thirds, and I think Kay was the youth third. Is the Ohio Championship valid, can you tell by evaluating Worlds performance, I don’t know, probably depends on who you are?

I caught flack on a post this year for suggesting that we should try to grow the sport. Compare three event skiing though. I don’t know an awful lot about the three event ski scene. They have local, state, regional, national and world competitions. Why shouldn’t wakesurfing have an aspiration to grow to the level that three event skiing is at?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-07-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
Ohhhh. I have an idea for a new division. There seem to be a lot of really good older riders. All of the riders that are older than I ride better than I do and now there are a bunch that are crossing the 40 year mark. We will soon need another age division.

I propose that soon we should begin a "Soul Surfer Division" The age limit might be 55 and up. anything to get Jeff and Judy out of my division so I can place.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
To be honest The Scioto Wakefest Champion sounds just as impressive and more in line to what the sponsors are used to hearing every day. State champion sounds more like a school sport.

and no more age groups. I'm riding against Jeff next year. That's my motivation to finally show up
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-07-2009, 8:39 PM Reply   
Well, we took this thread way off track. So, who is going to the Florida Championship, errr.... comp?
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-08-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
I live in the Orlando area and haven't heard boo about this event.

When and where???
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-08-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
Here is a link to the event. I may go and represent the senior citizens of Florida.

http://www.time-onthewater.com/events.html
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-08-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
No worries on jacking the thread. I just think that with everything being a "championship" it is losing drive. "worlds" was called worlds because It was the first big event and they have people from all over the world coming to compete. The one thing I liked about skim contest was that there was always some creative named contest "Southside Shootout" "Spring Spring Break Skim Jam" there were more i just can't remember. It still had the "championships" but they had more meaning then. Thats all I was saying. I want the "We dont need a Beach wakesurf bash" or something creative like that.
just my 2cents
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-08-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
I agree with Drew, gotta name the event.

The last few WO Events, part of the TWC:

"The Truth"
"Rocky Creek Round Up"
"Showdown At The Secret Spot"
"Grassroots Stop X"

The Texas Wakesurf Championships is used as it is the name of the company/club/organizer of the event.

Upload

Don't worry, I didn't show the back so there's no spam!
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-08-2009, 12:29 PM Reply   
What spam Is that a WAKEOUTLAWS.COM SHIRT

HAHAH Just joking cool shirt though
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-08-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
It doesn't say that anywhere!

It does say "Drew Danielo and Phase 5" like 300 times all over the back!
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-08-2009, 2:44 PM Reply   
BUUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

I am done That was a joke and I am not trying to piss anyone off. Sorry for being a little butthead. Just thought it was funny
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-09-2009, 4:29 AM Reply   
Hey Drew...

Remember the Phase 5 you donated to last year's Tampa Moomba/Supra Jamboree?

If the person who won it shows up at Lake Ivanhoe, would you mind autographing it for him?

Thanks!

e

(Message edited by Ed_G on July 09, 2009)