Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-04-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
For any of you that have had shoulder surgery, did your shoulder feel like 100% when you started ridding again? Or did it feel a little wired? I get cleared for ridding again on Nov 1st and I just want to know what to expect. Its still going to be a little sensitive right?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-04-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
dude take it easy, i had mine done and it didnt start to feel normal for about a year, i know it sucks just dont push it too hard, ease back into it, thats what i did and it worked awesome for me. at times i thought maybe surgery was the wrong decision but in the end it was a great decision
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-04-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
ok well I guess I can Take it easy over winter but when you first rode again and did a wake jump, how did it feel?
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-04-2007, 11:19 PM Reply   
I got my shoulder surgery done in March. I got back on the water after 3 months recovery, just carving around. The biggest help was going back to the gym and getting the muscles worked out again. I can now say I'm at 100% and hitting the wake hard.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-05-2007, 2:42 AM Reply   
Both of my shoulders have had surgery and I agree with Kevin, about a year before it starts to feel normal. My left one took almost 1 1/2. Stretching the shoulder to minimize tissue scarring is essential.
Old     (bp909)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-05-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
Use it or loose it. Bump what Waylon said about getting in the gym or for that matter exercise it and do some strength training. Been there. It does take a long time to get where you feel comfortable again.
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-05-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
What kind of exercises did you guys do in the gym? All I'm doing right now is bench, curls, and some band work.
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-07-2007, 5:23 AM Reply   
I had my shoulder done last October and started riding again in April. It didn't feel 100% when I started back but by about June, it was stronger than ever. I thought also thought I had made the wrong decision with surgery but after looking back now, it was definately the right decision. My doc said it would take a year to be 100% and he was pretty close. Keep building it up and make sure you stretch it out good before you ride. I have gotten a little lazy with my stretching lately and it was a little sore a week or so ago. Hang in there and have fun.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-07-2007, 4:38 PM Reply   
I had mine done 4 years ago, and it took probably 2 years to get it back to nearly 100% (I was pretty demotivated and pissed off about it for a long time, so I didn't get into rehab that much at all) but it has been good and bad. Still isn't quite there yet, kept getting hurt by getting a few weeks into training and pushing too hard, still building it back up. I used to not be able to do push ups at all without pain, then only 5 at a time, now I can do a couple of sets of 10 without anything getting sore. The flexibility is probably as good as it's ever been but that took a long time to get back too. Sometimes it gets sore from riding one handed for too long, that was going way slower than riding speed since I was trying to teach my mates how to drive the new boat, and they weren't doing very well... I guess that puts more stress on the joint since the board is deeper in the water. During usual riding it doesn't really affect me.