Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2011, 8:20 PM Reply   
I have a '96 Prostar with the LT1 engine. It has the closed cooling system and I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of where I would find any info on winterizing the engine or tell me how. I have the manual but it does not tell me a whole lot. What do I need to drain out of the canister behind the engine? I have been winterizing my own boats for almost 10 years but this is my first experience with the closed cooling.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-24-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Isn't it just like a car?
Old     (RidingTheNW)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-24-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
In a closed cooling system, the exhaust manifolds are not protected. You have to drain the exhaust manifolds, get the water out of the raw water pump and drain the water that cools the fresh water cooling unit. Easiest way to do that is take one of the sides off of it. Water will come out. Make sure you treat your fuel and run it through the engine so everything is protected. Ethanol is a bad problem... If its TBI injected you can fog the engine by spraying it down the TBI unit. If its Multiport fuel injected you can remove the water separating fuel filter, add some 2 stroke oil in it and run the engine. That will fog it. If you don't have that filter, you will need to remove the spark plugs, spray the fogging oil in the cylinders, put the plugs back in, and briefly turn the engine over.

Thats about it...
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-24-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
Thanks. I'll look at it in the next couple days. Thats about what the manual says but I wanted to hear what someone that knew about it had to say.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-24-2011, 4:35 PM Reply   
I just did it on my closed cooled motor (Indmar LS1).

I simply ran a 6' hose from the fake-a-lake to a bucket of RV antifreeze. Held the bucket high, and got the motor to suck a couple gallons in. Started spewing the pink stuff out the exhaust about a gallon in.

I wouldn't try it unless you have a run-dry impeller, as you will run it dry for a bit before it sucks in the coolant. Makes it pretty easy though. My setup seems to self drain most of its water anyway = it self drained most of the coolant after I shut the motor off. I was more concerned with it getting coolant through both exhaust pipes, meaning any remaining water was pushed out in the process.
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-25-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
Can someone elaborate on spraying a fogging solution into mpi? Do's or don'ts?