Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wisemind2)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-20-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
So i have a bayliner and i put an aftermarket tower on it... now im wanting to add some tower speakers and an amp. I dont want to spend a lot of money but would like something fairly decent. I was looking at the mtx thunder marine amp and tower speakers...is that stuff any good? Or what should i go with? Also should i run a dual battery set up?
Old    mojo            07-20-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
what are you looking to spend in the medium price range? an amazing bang for your buck tower speaker is the kmt6 by kicker. if you want to spend less look for a coaxial style marine speaker in a tub like these http://www.buywake.com/catalog/boat/towerSpeakers/Dbot5 depending on the speakers you pick you will either get a 2 ch or 4 ch amp. some good brands are jl audio, alpine, kicker, polk all make great marine amps and your dealer might have some old in stock he wants to get rid of or you can find another way to get them on the cheap if you want. you won't get a warranty though support your local vendor if he is worth supporting . . i would personally suggest dual batteries and an isolator so you can switch to one battery while relaxing and always have a cranking battery ready to go.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-20-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
I think those Dbots are a HLCD speaker if I remember correctly.
Old     (wisemind2)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-20-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
Say i went with the kmt6 speakers ive read good things about those... what amp would be best?
Old    mojo            07-20-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
with kmt6 i'd get a kicker zxm 450.2 amp. any other nice amp like JL will give you the same sound if it's got the right wattage. i just like matching speakers and amps. i have old JL slash amps in my truck and they push the mb quartz wonderfully. you're also going to have to buy a fuse. you could run the power and ground off the battery closest to amp location and either do individual power/ground with their own fuses or run power/ground distribution blocks with a buss breaker at the battery. this would make it easer to wire in a new amp for a sub or something like that and make the install look cooler. the kicker amp probably comes with a volume knob. i'd install that at the helm to turn the tower speakers down on their own. and yes i just looked at the d-bots are not a typical coax, but they are cheap right now so they are a good choice, but still need the same power as the kmt6's
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-20-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Baws, I thought they were too but in the ad they're not calling it an HLCD. I remember reading the technology on those back then and there was something different about them. Diggs had a set or two maybe he can chime in. The price looks killer on them.

Crystal, an Alpine PDX 2.150 is an excellent match with those speakers. A kicker 350.2 is also good but not as effecient as the Alpine.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-20-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
It all depends on your price range for what to look at. Take a look at the Exile SXT65 tower speakers and the Exile Xi800.4 or Harpoon amp to power them. The SXT65 are a really clear, crisp sounding speaker. Plus the customer service you get from the guys at Exile is simply amazing.

As far as the dual barttery setup it depends on how you use your stereo. If you are only listening to it with the boat on/while riding then you don't really need a second battery. If you are planning on floating and listening to the stereo for periods of time with the boat off then a second battery is the way to go. If you go with at second battery I personally like the automatic charging relay over having the perko switch, because I keeps the second battery charged without having to remember to turn the switch.
Old     (wisemind2)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-20-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
Those exiles are a little to expensive for me after i get everything i need to hook them up... Im pretty sure im going with the kicker kmt65 would a kenwood kac7204 be ok to use with them??
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-20-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisemind2 View Post
Those exiles are a little to expensive for me after i get everything i need to hook them up... Im pretty sure im going with the kicker kmt65 would a kenwood kac7204 be ok to use with them??
Yes, the Kenwood KAC 7204 2 chnl will do 170 watts rms x 2. That's good power for a pair of Kicker KTM6's
Old     (mutau052)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-20-2010, 6:19 PM Reply   
i would do a DIYwake.com can the get a couple sets of polk mm651, those would work pretty good on the bayliner (i have a 185 bayliner).