Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-23-2006, 5:02 AM Reply   
I'm worried about knee injuries. What are some good exercises to strengthen the knee. I haven't had any problems yet, but I don't want to either. Thanks
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-23-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
Monkey, go buy yourself an Indo board. I have had trouble with both knees (torn ACL and MCL) and I had to wear braces for both. After using the Indo board religously for a year my knees are so much more stable. I can squat down without pain now, I feel like my knees are 10 years younger.

Beyond the strengthening of the stabilizing muscles using the Indo board, my knee doc told me the best way to help your knees is strengthen your upper legs. Do whatever workout helps you do that. I would start making sure you can do at least 25 1-legged squats (x3 sets) for each leg. You may think it sounds easy...it wasn't for me.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-23-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
SQUATS!!! Wall sits. Lunges. Then, lots of stretching my friend. I'm healing right now from an MCL tear, so your concerns are valid. There are sooo many boarders on here with knee injuries. Have fun and keep those legs strong.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-23-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
In addition to a good leg work out, An exercise that's often overlooked is leg extension. This is the exercise where you allow your leg to fully extend, then you retract your foot back to your butt with a weighted resistance. This exercise builds the hamstring and decreases the probability of an ACL injury. The strong hamstring takes load off the ACL.

It's wise to create a year-round work-out routine to support wakeboarding. Don't forget the strength and flexibility of some of the other vulnerable injury spots. Shoulders, Back, Ankles, Neck. I started a year-round work out routien about 4 years ago and my injury rate has decreased.

As Loren suggested, an Indo board. They may seem expensive for what they are, but they're a drop in the bucket compared to knee surgery and everything else that you probably spend on this sport.

Good luck!
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-24-2006, 1:42 AM Reply   
I got an Indo Board, but I don't know what to do on it besides mess around. Anything particular I should be doing on the Indo?
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-24-2006, 4:59 AM Reply   
It's hamstring curls not leg extensions that work the hamstrings, extensions are for the Quads

You never want to have your quads strength over powering your hamstring strength, even moreso if you've had an ACL injury.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-24-2006, 6:16 AM Reply   
Eh Brah, besides messing around, I do squats on the indo board, as many of them as you can possibly do, making sure not to 'tip' off. Then start doing grabs when you squat, and hold them there, while still balancing. Nothing wrong with getting some weights and doing squats while indo-boarding as well.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
durrr..... You're right, hamstring curls.

I knew that didn't sound right when I typed it, I think that's why I explained the motions... (grin)