Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (macanudo247)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
Hey guys, i tore my UCL about four weeks ago from a combination of a slider accident and then a football accident. Anyways i am having Tommy John surgery in about an hour. Wish me luck. Has anyone else here had this surgery?
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-04-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
i have read some articles about MLB pitchers getting that surgery who don't even need it because afterward, you can supposedly throw a fastball a lot harder. from that i understood, they take 2 of your elbow tendons and attach them in a different way and it supposedly is a lot better after that.

IKD, but that may be why randy johnson and roger clemons are in there mid 40's and still throwing like they were 19. if what i read is true, it would be no different than a hitter taking steroids. tommy john was the first one to have it done because he actually need it done for repair reasons, and they said afterward, he threw better than he ever did.
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-04-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
good luck. I have never heard of the surgery but if your doctors said you need it. An can use your own parts to do it more power to you then. If you dotn mind telling us what they do please tell. THis is stuff we are talking about in my anatomy class right now. :-)
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-04-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
get ready for some PT too. played many years of baseball and watched many, many, many of my friends get cut on and had to take care of a bunch of them post-op. Everyone is pretty spot on about the coming back stronger part but you're gonna have to work for it. It's not magical you dont get cut on and then presto! you're better than before.

this takes a rather long time to get back to 100% as far as throwing a baseball so i'm curious as to what kind of timeline the dr's put you on as to when you'll be back to "normal"
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-04-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
here is one of the articles i read.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2003-07-28-cover-tommy-john_x.htm
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-04-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
A few guys I have played baseball with over the years have had the surgery. You don't always come back stronger, it depends on how your body handles it, every case is unique. I don't know if you're an athelete or not, but regardless do not slack on rehab. Complete it a do it thouroughly and you more than likely won't have any problems. Take your doc's advice and good luck. I'll be under the knife for menisucus and ACL day after christmas, so i feel your pain.
Old     (rpc29)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-04-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
I had the surgery. Marco is right, you don't always come back stronger, at least fastball wise. I got myself into the best shape of my life after surgery and my fastball was never the same. If you have any questions let me know. I'd be happy to help you out.
Old     (macanudo247)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
Hey guys, surgery went well. Luckly i dont play baseball but this is my senior year and i am planning to go to college for track. I long jump and sprint but unfortunately i also throw the javelin but thats out of the question now. Im schedualing for physical therapy 3 times a week. Not being able to ride for the first half of summer is going to be really hard. Ryan, how long was your recovery?
Old     (rpc29)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-05-2007, 6:18 AM Reply   
I had surgery in November, I was riding again in May or June I think. Took me all the way to the following October to be throwing in games. So it took me a full 12 months for baseball related activities. I did ride all summer though. Did you get the hamstring or wrist graft?
Old     (macanudo247)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-05-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
I had a wrist graft, which from what i heard isnt even hurting an much as i thought it would. And you have no idea how stoked i am that you were able to ride again that soon, because i was thinking/told that it would be late august early september. I'm also really going to be taking my physical therapy seriously, and often. Ryan, do you ride goofy or regular and which arm did you have it on? Did any certain tricks or moves hurt or become difficult?
Old     (rpc29)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-05-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
I ride left foot forward, and I had the surgery on my right arm. I don't remember being held back from anything trick wise. I had the wrist graft too, mine didn't really both me either except for the first day I had to write again in school. It actually still bothers me whenever I go skiing for some reason from using the poles. But thats the only thing.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-20-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
i wrote earlier:
"IKD, but that may be why randy johnson and roger clemons are in there mid 40's and still throwing like they were 19. if what i read is true, it would be no different than a hitter taking steroids."

as it turns out, roger clemons was probably juicing it hardcore anyway. LOL