Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-25-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
stargazer or wakeboard pro? which do you guys preffer and why? what are the downsides to both? I have no problem putting a hole in my hull for the paddlewheel so thats not an issue..
Old     (raddad)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-25-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
I've had wakeboard pro for years now never a problem with it so simple to use even I can use it
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-25-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
I just got back, sorry for not responding to your email. But i've had both Zero Off and the standard Wakeboard Pro. I think the GPS holds speed so much better in turns and through chop but if you do ride in a river ever then Wakeboard Pro might be the way to go.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-25-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
99 percent of the time on the Delta where there is current.. so with that said.. whats the difference I will see with the GPS vs paddle wheel on the delta?
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-25-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
Isaac you will see a difference, but very little, you may not be able to ride at the same speed everytime using SG because the current will add or subtract from your speed over land.

Example your boarding speed is 22.5, if you are running into a current your PP will read 22.5, but if you have a 2mph current then you are going 24.5 over water. so for that run you would adjust you PP -2mph to compensate.

Believe me a Stargazer install is much, much simpler then a WB Pro.

I vote Star Gazer for ease of install over the difference in actual speed on water vs over land provided by the GPS.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-25-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
what is involved in the install? is there a plug and pray wiring harness? do I have to run any wires back to the motor?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-25-2009, 4:33 PM Reply   
+1 stargazer wake edition
love it
easy to install

/edit, didn't think about the current on the delta. i would get feedback from other's who've tried it there. it's been awesome for me though.

(Message edited by brucemac on September 25, 2009)
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-25-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
I have read a lot on planetnautique that those who use a GPS based speed control hate it eminsely for use in current conditions. Some revert back or install a paddle wheel as that sives actual water speed, not water speed + or - current speed. Than there is changing configuration for up and down stream, Much simpler to just install the wheel and let it think for you.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-25-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
I would think it would be a hassle to change the settings every time you change direction with current. You might ask other Delta riders if it's that big of issue.

There are places on the Colorado River(Blythe and Needles) where the current can be 5 mph, that really makes a BIG difference going upstream or downstream.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-25-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
it's actually easier to install stargazer because there is no paddle wheel/holes to install if you don't already have one, not that it's that big of a deal, but it saves you from drilling through your hull. i already had a paddle wheel, but went for SG because of it's superiority over WBP for lake use. i'm not that finicky about speed and ride a little slower than most who are good and i've never complained on the columbia with my SG, but take that FWIW. i ride rivers only maybe 10% of the time and they are slow moving.

(Message edited by brucemac on September 25, 2009)
Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-25-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
I primarily ride on the Mississippi, so the current can be real fast. Stargazer is not so good in these conditions. If the current is STRONG you want pro. In a lake or a river with a slow current, Stargazer would be easier.
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       09-25-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
Issac, I would say GPS two reasons no holes to make or paddle wheel to maybe break. and it holds speed. I'm sure they both do the job, but GPS is GPS, satellites never change position. You used mine what did you think? This weekend you can try
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-25-2009, 8:30 PM Reply   
Satellites don't recognize current movement, so it depends how fast the water is moving where you ride.
Not sure how fast the current flows on the delta, but for example, near Needles, Ca. the current can be 5 mph or more, So if you set your GPS at 22, going upstream your pulling your rider at 27 mph, and when you turn around and head downstream, he is riding at 17 mph...
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-26-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
Haven't used it but if you have Stargazer can you set up two rider configurations. One for up river and one for down? Can you switch on the fly, such as during a turn?

Seems like if the SG gives speed even when not giving speed control then at the beginning of the day you could float on the river a minute to get the speed of the current that day and then set an upriver profile and downriver profile?

Dunno just wondering
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-26-2009, 5:18 PM Reply   
Chad, yes you can, but isnt it easier to just set a speed, put the throttle down and let the speed control do what it is supposed to do, measure boat speed vs water.
Old     (bbordin)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-27-2009, 4:42 AM Reply   
I don't have PP, so I don't know, but can't you also set by RPM?
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-27-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
It seems to me that the next step in cruise control technology will be a combination system that will compensate for for current.

Multi-million dollar aircraft have relative wind speed and direction indicators; it would only make sense to have these in our wake boats for the water.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-28-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
IMO I'd go with a gps based speed control even if youre riding on current. Reason being, with my PP wakeboard pro, if I have more crew/more weight you have to adjust the kdw and nn factors to keep the consistant pull (at least in my boat you do. In my buddys sante with zero off you don't have to worry about that at all. And when we are riding with a current it's much easier to just adjust your speed up or down a notch or two to where the rider is in the "money spot" on the wake, than it is to adjust the kdw and nn factors. If your familiar enough with your boat to where you know where the rider should be in terms of the wake then a simple hit of the button to adjust speed isn't a big deal IMO. unless your extremely anal and when you normally ride at 22 but you have a 2 mph current your going against and it somehow bothers you that you see 20 on the speed and not 22, then what's the big deal? A more CONSISTANT pull, and just having to adjust speed a little is much better than a more inconsistant pull and not worrying about current IMO. Again this is just from my personal experiences, but I have never had PP wb pro or digital pro in any of the boats I've driven (my Malibu, other malibus, 02 xstar, 01, 02, 03, 06 SANTE, and many more), give as consistant of a pull as the ones that I've I've driven with stargazer or zero off.