Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-17-2011, 6:29 PM Reply   
I'm headed to Smith Mountain Lake for vacation in a week. Where are the good spots to ride, chill, hangout, and eat? Is there anything to do away from the lake? I grew up around in Bedford, but left many, many years ago. Smith Mountain Lake is the only reason I have to go back.

Thanks for any advice.
Jamie
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-17-2011, 9:29 PM Reply   
Hanging out and eating can all be done at Bridgewater Plaza. If you're looking for spots to ride, the only really good spots are on either end of the lake, upper roanoke or upper blackwater. I live near the top of the blackwater. Gills Creek (branches off of the blackwater) is also good. On the Roanoke River side of the lake, Betty's Creek and Becky's Creek are both good spots to ride. If you're gunna ride early though, like 6-9 you can usually score good water anywhere on the fingers. Stay out of the big part of the lake where the two rivers come together though, it's choppy as hell.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-18-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
West of the bridge on route 122 near westlake there are some newer restaurants, I forget the name but the italian one is pretty good.
I agree with Nick, the Roanoke river branch is a good place to ride...weekdays you might be the only boat out there.
Peaks of Otter might be a fun excursion, I think there is a restaurant up there too.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-18-2011, 12:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by njskier View Post
Peaks of Otter might be a fun excursion, I think there is a restaurant up there too.
I remember going up there when I was a kid. I remember looking down from the top and finding my house. We were friends with the family that owns The Peaks of Otter Winery. My wife wants to hit that up for sure.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-18-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
Oh yeah, there's good mexican place called Mexico Viejo at Crazy Horse Marina on the Blackwater part of the lake. Dave, I think you might be thinking of Joe's Pizza. Not sure though.

You could also swing by the theater at Westlake and give me a visit, hahahaha. Lots of putt putt courses around here as well.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-23-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Arent there some cliffs around somewhere that you can climb up and jump off of. I think I remember something like that from when I was a little spud.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-25-2011, 1:01 PM Reply   
Nope, a developer decided to put condos on top of them and has shut them down. He has the game wardens giving out 300+ dollar tickets for trespassing. Do it if you're willing to risk the ticket, but that's just a warning.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-25-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
Nick, are those the cliffs where Brostock was a couple years ago? They were really cool.....everyone was jumping from them that day.
(Actually a condo at SML sounds good right about now!)
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-25-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
Yea I found them this morning. Saw the huge no trespassing sign. Fun is still to be had without a 40' free fall.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-25-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
Yup, the same cliffs from Brostock. I live right across from them. I used to go jump every day, so it really upset me when they shut them down.

Condos would be great if they weren't being put in a spot that will destroy one of the most beautiful natural formations on the lake. There's a tiny cove to the right of the cliffs that they're planning on putting docks into. Seriously. Listen to their reasons on this video... Ridiculous. Also, there have been no deaths and only a handful of serious injuries.

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2009/jun/2...ake-ar-378845/

It infuriates me that a 40 year old pasttime at the lake is being shut down by greedy landowners.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-28-2011, 4:45 PM Reply   
Nick,
Thanks for the riding spots. Gills Creek ain't no joke. We had riden there for 3 days now. We have hade it pretty much to ourselves (except for the occasional tubers, which I can never seem to get away from). Never more than a ripple in the water. I think I am going to be spoiled by smooth water by the time I get home.