Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (airagain)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-26-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
So, I've been going up to the lake(Berryessa) to do some work on my houseboat for the last month. A month ago when I went up I went to check on my 210, which is on the lift year round. To my surprise I found Mama and 5 BIG goose eggs on my boat. Soon they were joined by Dada. We came to an understanding that they could have use of the Nautique until May. I checked today and they are still there. I'm hoping they are born in the next week or so. From what I understand it takes about 4 to 6 weeks. I posted a picture from today. You can see Mama's head if you look carefully.Upload
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-26-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
Moral dilemma if I've ever seen one
Old     (airagain)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-26-2009, 7:49 PM Reply   
No way am I going to have that on my conscience...
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-26-2009, 7:56 PM Reply   
Ahah, I would be right there with ya Air!!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-26-2009, 8:01 PM Reply   
There are geese in every body of water. You can save many a people from being effected by their feces.
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-26-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
now she will come back every year......
Old     (airagain)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-26-2009, 8:36 PM Reply   
Apparently, she did the same thing last year...only earlier. I noticed some shells on the boat and thought maybe an animal had a meal there. Now I know. Geese Squatters! It's all good...make for a good story.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-26-2009, 9:56 PM Reply   
Wow! How crazy is that?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-27-2009, 5:50 AM Reply   
time for and eviction notice.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-27-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
If it's a Canadian goose knock the thing off....and I don't just mean off the boat.

Those things are such a pain in the A$$ up here. Half of the population needs to be terminated.

And for the record I am Canadian.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-27-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
I am assuming this is a garden variety Canadian goose and they are considered game species suitable for hunting and eating. Most likely out of season and would have a tough time considering them game even if they were in season, but I wouldn't have any qualms relocating the nest. I imagine the geese have profusely decorated your dock.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-27-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
breakfast?
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-27-2009, 11:37 AM Reply   
I thought you were going to say grey goose!!
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-27-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
Get rid of it or it will continue to come back!!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-27-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
I had a duck hatch a bunch of eggs in my boat. The mom couldn't get the babies out so we took them out of the boat and put them in the water. Except as soon as we put a couple in the water the mom took off with them and left the rest. We fed the rest baby bird formula, but they escaped out of their box and the dog ate them. Oh well.:-(
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-27-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
I'm doing my part on goose population control
Upload
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-27-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
There is some stuff you can spray on the dock that repels the geese. I had one lay eggs on the flotation for the walkway a coule years ago. the next year there were 5 or 6 that crapped all over everything. Now I have none.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-27-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
WE HAD A DEAL!!
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-27-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
I would have destroyed the nest. Next year, if they try nesting there again, destroy the nest. If there is a moral dilemma, don't feel bad. If the nest is destroyed in egg laying or early incubation, they will most likely re-nest somewhere else.
Old    mendo247            04-27-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
Props to you man! Thats great... Some serious Karma points for you..
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-27-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
id eat them.. tell me bout my karma points.. lol
the babies would be great raised in a cage for a while till big enough to eat also.. they are awsome for great feast
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-27-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
Dude, birds will destroy your boat. They will crap and rip holes in the vinyl! I had a friend whose boat was completely destroyed by birds after he left it uncovered for a weekend.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-27-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
Yeah ducks love to ish on my boat and man do they take some big stinkers. Their favorite spot is sitting on the swim platform and doing the deed. If i found eggs in my boat, I wouldn't destroy them but I would move them the hell out of there.
Old     (airagain)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-27-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
I'm fine with it...They are almost done and I would rather have the good Karma. They did no serious damage last year so I'm sure the boat will be fine(I will however create a less comfortable nest next year) I'll be boarding in two weeks....plus they are probably keeping the raccoons away.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-27-2009, 6:25 PM Reply   
Good Karma?

Hell, imagine how much goose crap will be left by the new family. That's bad Karma in my eyes.
Old     (airagain)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-27-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
The babies are born ready to swim. Goose crap on the dock I can live with. A 5 gallon bucket and 15 minutes and it will be gone. I check the boat and I am not worried. Being older brings a more selfless attitude. I am not killing any geese or their babies. If there was goose crap on the boat cover big deal(there is not) That is why I cover the boat. Life will go on. I'll be riding in a couple weeks and I might even see a few baby geese swimming around that I know.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-27-2009, 10:44 PM Reply   
^^good sport.

last summer, my 210 was docked next to another 210. we both have teak swim platforms but there's gotta be something special about his because there was like a dozen of ducks/baby ducks chillin' on his teak platform..they would hang there all week long.. it was pretty cool.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-28-2009, 5:32 AM Reply   
I guess what is a novelty to some, is a nuisance to others.
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       04-29-2009, 3:37 PM Reply   
We have had an issue with geese on our lake for the last couple years and it's getting worse. The more babies they have on the lake the more offspring come back. On several occasions I had to pickup goose crap off my beach, many times filling 4-5 wal-Mart type bags full. This is just over night. The crap carries a lot of desease. You might want to re-think the nurturing otherwise they could become a problem is they have not already.
YMMV,
JT