Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    chrispol            07-26-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
So I finally get on vacation at a lake (hardly ever a ripple) and weight my boat with about 300L of water. I go out for my first run and face plant real bad but get back up. Then forty seconds later I face plant again and my board hits me in the head, cracks my head open and I am going to the ER were I will get 3 stiches.

So, first run and I am done for the week after taking my worst fall ever (I have been riding about 3 seasons). Some other people said "well maybe it was the weight or something" but I dont think the weight had anything to do with it.

Has anyone else taken a weird fall like this? Could it really have had to do with the weight distribution? Next time I get up should I be looking for anything in particular?

Thx
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-26-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
I don't think you could blame a fall on the way you have your boat weighted. Sounds like you slipped up and got checked. Last week I took one of the hardest falls I've taken in years. Every once in a while, we get checked! Most of the time it happens when I am feeling extra confident and maybe a little indestructible.
Old    foobysmacker            07-26-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
Depends on a lot of factors. I assume the faceplant was right at the wake when you hit it. What kind of boat? Inboard? Inboard/outboard? How long was the rope? What were the water conditions?

In general when you add 600-700lbs. of water to any boat you can certainly change the wake significantly (some boats more than others). Could be that adding that weight in the back of the boat made the wake start curling or mushy at the length that you hit it. If you don't have a good edge going through that type of wake you can easily take water over the top of the board (especially in rougher water) which is pretty much a guaranteed faceplant whenever that happens.

Otherwise it caused by the "relative sack size" problem-- bigger wake means you need bigger balls to charge it and go big. Without those you might just be flattening out at the last second on the bigger wake and digging the board or taking water over it. :-)

Hope that helps
Old    chrispol            07-26-2004, 10:34 AM Reply   
that does help some. I was riding at about 50 feet with an inboard/outboard 135 hp and the lake was wicked calm.
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
What happened to you is EXACTLY the same thing that happened to me. I faceplanted hard the first fall and then i scorpioned the last fall and cracked my head open. Thats kinda funny, I thought getting scorpioned mainly happened to girls because we're flexible but i guess thats not true! Now i wear a helmet, thats the second time i had scorpioned but the first for crackin my head open.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-28-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
I knocked the wind out of myself last week on a backplant. It happened because I suck. I just wish sucking didn't have to be so painful.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-28-2004, 6:29 PM Reply   
ER for 3 stitches?

what were you doing that made you face plant? sounds like you're just paying your dues to me.
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-28-2004, 9:22 PM Reply   
does that happen alot? should you wear a helmet regularly?
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       07-29-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
I only wear my helmet when im learning new things. If im just going to take it easy and only do things i know how to do i wont wear the helmet it is a pain in the ass. But i dont plan on getting another dent in my head (knock on wood).