Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-17-2006, 9:14 PM Reply   
but a question never asked is the dumbest one

stance: feet under shoulders or wider

WHERE should my feet be in relation to my body??
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-17-2006, 9:23 PM Reply   
Wider than your shoulders. Most people ride with them all the way out, or one notch in depending on what feels comfortable. How tall are you, how much do you weight, and what board are you on?
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-17-2006, 9:27 PM Reply   
hyperlite

6 foot
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-17-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
how long is the board?
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-17-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
sorry 142... first board first season of riding everytime out.. last season was about 2 trips to the water used those two times to learn how to get up... this year make it a goal to head out every sat..
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-17-2006, 9:49 PM Reply   
Just ride whatever feels comfortable. Make them wide enough so you are almost in a horse stance, but still comfortable. Remember, the wider the stance the more balance and control of the board you will have.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-17-2006, 10:48 PM Reply   
the most common riding position for your size would be all hey way out, but Aden is right. Ride what feels best to you.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-18-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
i would say all the way out is the only way to go, i don't understand how people don't ride all the way out because it maximizes your balance and control. I'm 5'6 and ive been all the way out for probably 5 years or so and i was probably a lot smaller. It helps you progress once you get used to it
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-18-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
You have more pop when the width is narrow, but stability decreases on the landing. Also, if you have knee problems, go with what works for your knees.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-18-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
Kyle,

For the very reason that Karl stated. Going too wide hinders your ability to stand tall at the wake. I'm 5-9 on a 141. I recently switch from all the way out to one in.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
U guys do relies that ALL-THE-WAY-OUT is not the same from manufacturer to manufacturer or for that matter from board model to board model!!
Old    sking55405            07-18-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
I switched from and obrien 135 to a hyperlite 132 and i measured them and they are the same on my two at least.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-18-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
I'm on a premier 141 and ride all the way out, but i think it also has a lot to do with ability level. I dont think you have more pop with a narrow stance at all, and if you do, it definately isnt controled as well
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-18-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
Try placing your feet on the floor much further apart than you normally ride, and then try to stand tall - keeping your feet in place. Or even try simulating an ollie. You have a lot less range. This was definitely the case for me anyway. One notch in may have sacraficed a small anount of stability, but it's not noticable to me.

CIE Allen is one of the sickest riders I know and he rides a narrow stance. He is anything but unstable.
Old    noah_d            07-18-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
just jump up as high as you can and then place the bindings where you feet land, then if you are having any cramping in your back you can angle the bindings to more or less duck position}
Old     (dfxr58)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-18-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
i got some lessons from nick and julz heaney and they said that a narrower stance is better, that a wider stance will cause you to go through the wake more so than riding up the wake. i think that is what they meant. they also said that if you were jumping on a trampoline that you wouldnt want to jump with your legs in the position where your bindings are all the way out, that those spots are for stability on the rails. but to each his own i guess. i switched to a narrower stance and feel like i have more pop, but at the same time my form has gotten better.