Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            03-07-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
I am able to ride backside both regular and switch, obviously my regular is "better" than switch, but literally in the past I haven't been able to ride frontside switch.

I think Dennis took the picture of me riding frontside switch...pics regular and then switch.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            03-07-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
This proved to be an incredible tool, IMO. My shoulders are WIDE open to the boat while I'm riding switch and that also tends to force the nose of the board around, away from the wake. I also have my leading foot a little more open than when I ride regular. Lastly, my focus is away from the wake which is where the board is heading.

It seems to me that if folks are having trouble, a simple picture can give us a bunch of information that we can use to provide corrective advice.

OH! and give me kudos for frontside switch! :-)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-07-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
Jeff,
Did we have a bad day today? Trolling shamelessly for compliments, it seems so ...
Old    surfdad            03-07-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
No, actually I troll shamelessly all the time. :-) Which reminds me, didn't you forget something? :-)

Dennis - on the rocker table, how will we bag over the adjustment screw without poking a hole in the bag? Doesn't it almsot have to be a fixed rocker in some fashion?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-07-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
OK OK Jeff (Mr 100), the immortal Surfdad, Legend, you are the MAN. I hope that the swelling doesn't make your bald spot any bigger. We might have to create another surfdoor after we remove another door at your house so that you can get out to go to work.

The table will have many adjustment screws. The seal will be to the top of the rocker table.
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-08-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
"OK OK Jeff (Mr 100), the immortal Surfdad, Legend, you are the MAN. I hope that the swelling doesn't make your bald spot any bigger. We might have to create another surfdoor after we remove another door at your house so that you can get out to go to work. "

Dennis, have you ever managed a Baseball team. I could just hear that coming out of Lasorda's mouth.

Jeff, I find myself doing the same thing when riding switch. Towards the end of the season last year, I really tried to focus on "closing back up" and it made a huge difference. I felt much more in control. It all starts with the front foot.

You look pretty comfortable on that board.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-08-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
Nick,
As a matter of fact I do bleed Dodger Blue. Tommy was the manager when I lived in So. Calif.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-08-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
I still want to see Jeff turn a screen door in to a surf door.
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-08-2007, 11:11 PM Reply   
what was the water temp?????
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-09-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
Hey Kal,
The water temp when we started was 49.8. The air was in the 60's to 70's later in the day.
Old    surfdad            03-09-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
Ed, can I put a bottom laminate on said screen door? It can be done if we eliminate the porious issue :-)

Dennis, to correct that - it was TOO cold.
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-09-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Kudos Jeff! I haven't attempted switch yet - I'm afraid I'll confuse my body and throw out my bad back. I'll be posting pictures of the old boy (me) this spring. Stay tuned.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-09-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
you are a brave man Jeff -- the water was about 55 two weeks ago and I only lasted one run in my 4/3 wetsuit (I'm must be getting wussy in my old age)
now the water is up in the mid 60s here in Austin- much more comfy. --

by the way - I don't think I've seen you post any pics of that board before... is that a prototype of some sort?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-09-2007, 4:20 PM Reply   
OK, but keep it under $10.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-09-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
frontside switch thats kids stuff :-) just kidding man good work

i have frontside, backside and frontside switch down, the only one i haven't tried is switch backside, that seems really hard, for me backside was harder than switch frontside
Old    surfdad            03-09-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
That's funny, I could handle switch backside - not well, but I could do it, whereas switch frontside I literally COULDN'T. Sean, do you ride regular or goofy?

Ed - where am I gonna get a screen door that's ridable for UNDER $10 :-)

Hey Jim, I think that all the 1040's already have me confused! When I was still a slave working on my experience requirement we used to work 60 hour weeks and I literally would see Schedule C's in my sleep! :-)

Hey Matt - you have a sharp eye, yep that is Mike Walker's Composite X protoype. Dennis talked with Mike and gave him a ton of ideas, and Mike shot that one up for us to test. It's Epoxy over EPS - super fast board down the line, and it's basically designed for beginners. It was fun, will make a good alternative entry level board.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-10-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
Wasn't $10 the threshold for alternative board wakesurf board development? Recycle This!! went way, way over budget.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-12-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
i ride regular, once i got the hang of shifting my weight the opposite way switch frontside was easy. i honestly haven't tried it backside, next time i go out i will
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-12-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
Kudos Entrust! This front side - regular side stuff is boring compared to your personal quote
Old    surfdad            03-12-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
I can't read this thread anymore without cracking up. :-) Jim, you've cursed me! :-) We need a new term for the opposite of frontside. e.g. I can ride frontside and NON-frontside?
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
"We need a new term for the opposite of frontside. e.g. I can ride frontside and NON-frontside?" - Jeff "Aniken Sky" Walker

Uhhhhhhh, backside?

At least you didn't say goofy or regular.
Old    surfdad            03-12-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
Oh Nick, I think you missed Jim's joke. :-)
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
Not surprising, I miss most everything.
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       03-12-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
dang jeff that goffy wake looks clean!
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
Don't you mean starboard wake?
Old    surfdad            03-12-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
Hey Mike, long time no hear! How have you been? That is Dennis' Sanger if you can believe that. He's got it fairly well dialed in.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-12-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff,
Where's the Sanger love? "if you can believe that" How's your boat repairs going?
Old    surfdad            03-12-2007, 5:08 PM Reply   
C'mon you KNOW what I meant! :-) So Tige, in it's infinite wisdom AFTER manufacturing my boat, discovered that the steering cable was junk, so they switched over to a Teleflex and of course a different steering column. So when you order the replacement cable they send you the superceeded one, not the one that actually fits!!! :-)

So, when it's all done - no wait IF it ever gets all done, I'll have a new cable, and a new steering column (and no wallet) :-)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-12-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
Yea Jeff I thought I knew what to do to get my boat dialed in until I talked to the Sanger salesman at the Sacramento show yesterday. Seems that it is not desirable to sink the back corner. If I sink the whole side of the boat , more level front to back, my wake would be massive. Said I need another 600 lbs up front. I'm thinking BS. Another salesman with no real wakesurf knowledge.
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       03-12-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
jeff
ive been good i cut all my hair off and starting to ride a lot more that its getting warm
how about you?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-12-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
Jeff, There must be something in the air. James, Chase and Mike all cut their hair. Should help boosting air or spinning threes. Maybe you should shave your head.
Old    surfdad            03-12-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
LOL - do I have anything to shave? How does that Tower of Power song go? What is hip? Sometimes hipness is what it ain't! :-)

Hey Mike, we're all good, Judy was just talking about you yesterday when she saw Chase. She said that if YOU cut your hair she'd never be able to tell you and Chase apart. :-) You're both like 6'11" these days.

Good to hear from you, stay in touch, please.
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       03-12-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
jeff
haha yeah, people confused us when we had long hair too.. haha