Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (duramax_dually)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-23-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
Wanted to get some input on what is the lightest weight cleanest segmented vest. Lots to chose from. I am 5'8 bout 150

What is the disadvantage of wearing a non USCG approved vest other than it not counted as a vest in the boat when inspected?

Thanks in advance
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
if you get the wind knocked out of you, and you get knocked out, you will sink.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-23-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
No you will not sink!! First of human bodies are naturally boyant. Second the vests, such as the Jetpilot A-10 do float pretty well. Just not as well as an approved vest.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-23-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
USCG approved vests are also designed to rotate you so that you are not laying with your head in the water. Otherwise you might still drown while on the surface of the water.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2004, 9:14 AM Reply   
Chris, here ya go (posted by a WW user)

Notice the part where he says, "I started to sink"

Went out Sunday w\ Brent, Lisa, Kyla, and friends to Ray Roberts and
had some good riding. Until the unthinkable "almost, thank god"
happened, after a few decent sets of landing all of my bagged tricks I
decided to step it up and try a raley. I have landed this trick recently
and want to try it again.
As I started my usual cut to the wake I noticed it washed a bit and I
didn't get the pop I was looking for. When I came down for my landing my
toes dug in first. I knew I hit pretty hard and that I was conscious as
I came up for air. I signaled to the boat that I was ok as usual, but
then I knew something was wrong. I couldn't breathe, the impact hit me
so hard it left me gasping for air and caused me to black out. The rest
of the story is blank for me but as soon as I blacked out I went face
down, I wasn't wearing an approved vest either and I started sinking. By
the time Brent got to me he said I was completely under water and headed
for the bottom. When he pulled me up to the surface I had a blue shade
to my face and almost immediately started breathing again. The next
thing I remember I was holding on to Brent motionless in the water
trying to catch my breath not knowing were or what had just happened.
Luckily I'm ok, just a very sore back today and the knowledge that I
will NEVER wear an unapproved vest again.

Thanks again to the man upstairs for watching out and to Brent for being
there "
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
"First of human bodies are naturally boyant."

having air in your lungs plays a big roll in this.
Old     (duramax_dually)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-23-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
Sorry did not want to start a debate. I figured the reason for the Non USCG vest would be to the lack of boyancy and I would probably not buy one without the cert, Was more curious why they are out there and why people use them?

So moving on then with USCG approved vests,which is the most comfortable and offers the best mobility?

I have been considering a Bare Pro Vest or the O'Neill Vapor GlideSkin.

(Message edited by duramax_dually on September 23, 2004)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
ah sorry. You ask what the disadvantage was.

Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-23-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
J-Rod, any idea what specific non-approved vest the rider you mention was wearing. It would be a good warning to all us potential buyers who maybe considering buying that vest. It is important information.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-23-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
I disagree with the naturally boyant comment. Why do we have life jackets then? Why when I stop swimming do I sink? And without a lung full of air I would sink in a hurry.

Now a decomposing human body may be naturally boyant, but I believe that to be irrelevant to this topic.
Old     (duramax_dually)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-23-2004, 10:12 AM Reply   
Holycow...
Well since this thread has not gone as I had hoped, might as well continue with one other question.

So why do all the major companies make these non USCG approved vests for boarding if the outcome is you will drowned should you knock yourself out? Why would people even consider using them?

So far it appears all the best vests are Non USCG approved....interesting indeed
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2004, 10:34 AM Reply   

quote:

-Rod, any idea what specific non-approved vest the rider you mention was wearing. It would be a good warning to all us potential buyers who maybe considering buying that vest.

It was a 2004 TFD vest with removable sleeves. That was originally from dallaswakeboarding.com and since I read that story I have changed my mind on wearing Non-USCG vests.
Old    wickedwake            09-23-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
try the O'neill Outlaw for non approved or "the Law" for an approved vest. Best 2 vests out there IMO.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2004, 10:52 AM Reply   
Jeff, They are tournament vests.

I wear a non approved vest because it's just a lot more comfortable and allows more mobility. I was wearing the Oneil tournament vest (the super thin one). I recently switched to the Vapor because it's a lot more floaty but still not approved. I'm trying to work my way back to a approved vest but it's not easy once you get hooked on a non approved vest. Foolish I know.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
J-Rod, I have the Vapor as well. Very comfortable vest but also very annoying at times too. The rear padding on the back moves a ton because its it free floating and not segmented. It started the first few months when I would take hard falls. I took it back to my proshop which they returned to Oneill and I recieved a new one. One month later and its doing the same thing again. It is near impossible to move the padding back to its original place.

I too am hooked on the comfort level of a non approved vest but want to get back to an approved vest.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
I've heard that alot. Mine is only a month old so we'll see. First thing I noticed is when I really eat curls up my back and the zipper stabs me.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-23-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
Yea chris, you are definately wrong. I sink even when I suck in a full breath of air. Even with a coast gaurd approved fast I will sink to head level when I take in a full breath of air. maybe if you are obese, you will float naturally...but us young guys dont have that extra bouyancy (spelling???).
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-23-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   
I have the Jet Pilot Cell Block approved vest. It's very comfortable and won't limit movement.
Old     (blev2)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-23-2004, 4:19 PM Reply   
i own a non-approved jet-pilot vest and i cant even tell a difference when floating in the water. I am pretty sure they still have to test these things when they make them and im sure they see what the weight limit is. maybe the guy sinking was a large guy. They wouldnt be able to put these on the market if they were not going to keep you above water. they have the floatation device, just not as much as an approved vest. here i am today....... still floating.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-24-2004, 8:50 AM Reply   
Bryan. They do test them. However, they failed the test and that's why they are not approved. That being said I don't think they are that dangerous. Normally a boat can get back to the rider fairly quickly and with one of these vests on you won't sink like a stone as they do provide some boyancy. I buy approved vests personally, but thats because they are usually a lot cheaper. I still sport a teal, black, and pink foam badgirl.

My buddy bought a non-approved vest (forget which one) and he was floating at eye level. It was such a pain in the ass he sold it and bought an approved one for much less $. I fall down to much to struggle with a life vest that doesn't float me enough.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-24-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
It would have little to do with the size of the individual and more to do with your body type. Lean physiqued riders will float less.
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-24-2004, 10:11 AM Reply   
Okay, I stand corrected on the bodies floating. I confered with an expert, a biology teacher friend of mine. There are several factors that make you more or less boyant. I will not get into them but I will just say I was wrong but not totally J_Rod pretty much got it. Second, I said they float pretty well, just not as good as a appoved vest. I'm 200 LBS and the vest I use works fine (JetPilot A-10). I like the A-10 it is comfortable and allows good movement. But just like everything else in this sport it's all personnal prefrence.
Old     (duramax_dually)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-24-2004, 11:48 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input.

I went with the USCG approved Jet Pilot Cell Block model. Concensus opinion seemed to lean to that vest and safety is important since I am constantly taking nose dives.....

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-24-2004, 1:21 PM Reply   
I have a non-approved Jet Pilot vest and there is no way I will sink in it. However, I can let out the air from my lungs with no vest and I am pretty much neutral bouyant. So maybe everyone is a little different. Also I have an approved vest and it will not keep my face out of the water.

The three things I like about the Jet Pilot are 1) I can duck under water when someone on the cable is about to run me over or a handle is coming my way, 2) it's a lot cooler in the FL heat, and 3) it's a lot less bulky.