Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-09-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
Now that I have your attention, I came across this boat today stored outside and uncovered. It is a 'theft recovery' boat which as far as I can tell means a crime against boating took place and it shows. Some kids stole it, ripped out the electronics they wanted, gouged a couple 6 inch slits in the upholstery, tried cutting off the tower and managed to get the back end off (4 inch square holes in the fiberglass) but the front hung on strong. The trailer is dual axle with brakes and in great condition, and I'm told it runs perfectly (I will test drive in person before purchase).
All that being said, could y'all give some feedback, ideas and otherwise issues to consider? I live on the water on a lake that gets really quiet in the winter so would have a lot of time to mess with it but also have no experience in boating restoration.
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-09-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
Hmm... I would have cried looking at that boat honestly. Such a shame that people have no regard for other's possessions. The upholstery can be recovered or just stitched back for that "ghetto" fix, electronics can be replaced with a little money and time. The thing that really would worry me is the holes in the fiberglass. The mounting points for the tower are VERY important. You can't just throw some chopped glass in the hole, cover it with match-n-patch gel coat and mount the tower back to it. It could get somewhat pricey to repair those holes. Do you know anyone who does fiberglass repairs? Maybe take them over and get a quote. Another issue is the title of the boat, are you going to be able to register it? I don't know how it works with boats, but here it is hard to get registration for a salvaged vehicle or motorcycle.
Look up prices on the same boat in good condition and do the math. Remember to factor in that if you decide to sell the boat you will have to divulge that the boat was a theft recovery and had fiberglass damage... unless... of course... you can get someone to do a repair well enough that you can't see it at all.
I don't think this is much of a job of "restoration" because that makes me think of major work like ripping up floors to replace stringers. All you are doing is recovering the seats, replacing electronics, repairing fiberglass and cleaning it up.
Hope that helps.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-09-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
Thank you so much Tiff(anator). I was angry both when I saw how the boat was currently being stored and what had been done to it. I appreciate your point about this not being a true "restoration" because it may very well be mechanically and structurally (less the tower mount) sound. I could 'quick fix' the seats and plan for a complete upholstery repair down the road. Found the electronics (gauges and wiring with new dash) for less than $300. I have a friend who works with Malibus and I'm going to try to lure him up here to take a look. I will take pictures of it tomorrow and will post them for hopefully additional feedback.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
Sounds totally fixable. Even if you had everything fixed professionally, you'd probably spend less than a couple grand. No brainer if you ask me.

Make sure you can get a title, that is of the utmost importance.

The tower holes?? Get some aluminum to reinforce that area and bolt to the tower itself. Maybe take the tower and have larger mounts welded on the rear. All the force right there is downward, so you need to span the repair to the original glass or risk busting it back through every time.

Good luck. I'd be really tempted to just fix it up for profit, but I already have a boat.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
You might be able to get skins for the seats from Supra?? I know somebody makes Correct Craft skins. I would pick it up if mechanically it was solid. I like a project.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-09-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
Sounds like a steal....(as long as it mechanically sound) I would prob buy it and fix it up.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
I would also look to see if it has a salvaged title, that may kill resale.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
ill buy it where is it located! dude fix that bad boy up and you got a jem! or sell it for a nice profit! if you get a good glass guy to fix the tower nobody will ever know the difference. but on that id spend the money since its a major stress point.

PICS PICS PICS!
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-10-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
"If it sounds too good to be true..."
I went to the bank to talk financing (including $2K for fixup) and called the guy back asking when we can take it for a test drive. He stammered and said, "well, we have the water kit so we can run the engine on land". I explained that I was not in the market for a boat I couldn't test drive and he said, "well, the impeller in the water pump is out". I said, "I will buy a new one just to test drive it". "The thieves took one of the prop nuts off and the prop is missing a blade" - "you are a marina with tons of props on your wall, grab one".
I wish there was one of those smiley icons waving big red flags because that's what I'm seeing. If anyone else wants to take a stab at it, the guy did trailer it here from Oklahoma without issue and it is currently at Lake Ozark.
Goodbye Supra...perhaps PWC ownership was meant to be for me (for now). Thanks for all the feedback.
Upload
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-10-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
And I stopped by a fiberglass repair shop yesterday and "the man" told me he would have no problem reinforcing the tower and making it stronger than new.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-10-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
hmmmm... mechanically the only thing you couldn't test would be the tranny. and of course putting a load on the engine. I say stay after it.

buy yourself a prop and slap it on there. And there is only one prop nut...

I'd call him back and just try to level with him. what did he say about using a diff prop?
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-10-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
ya how can you run it wit a fake lake if the impeller is bad. sounds like a huge waiving red flag from your last post. B4 that i would say hell ya go for it.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-10-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
sounds like they are just lazy, I wouldn't give up so easily.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
IMHO call him back and say "listen I got cash, let me get it on the water, run it for 15 mins and you have a sale."
Old     (justnparadise)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-10-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
Even with a bad impeller it would run for 3-5 minutes before overheating alarms would ring. This is the red flag for me..."The thieves took one of the prop nuts off and the prop is missing a blade". Should be rewritten as "Prop is missing a blade because the thieves beached it going 20 when they were through with it, which also killed the shaft and tranny. but the engine's strong as hell!"

If it was a simple 5k fix of a few electronics and fiberglass work I dont think the insurance would have totaled it out. but than again Im not an insurance adjuster so who knows. Just my .02 worth.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-10-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
The prop is pry a good sign of what went on with the boat. running gear is pry out of line and it makes a helluva noise and/or vibrates when its in the water.

The trannies are tuff as hell. I wouldn't worry about it. If the thing drives, take it. all it needs is a true shaft and strut, and an alignment job.

dd, right?

Get them back on the phone and ask some very pointed questions. start with "i'm not concerned about a little noise or vibration, but I need to see it float." If not, throw him a $5000 offer.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-10-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
I was thinking that $5000 would be a proper counter as well (especially if you indicate that you can have cash that afternoon to get it off his lot). I have decided to pass on this one as I wasn't really in the boat market when this came up, but some fellow WWers have shown interest via PM and I am forwarding on to them the contact info and location so hopefully they can provide some info on this thread because I'm still curious as to if it might be "the one that got away".
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
waitn isnt this at least a 20k boat in good condition?

man you better jump on that, those boats are solid, man put a fake a lake on it to hear it run put it in out of gear with a hose on the shaft, id jump on it personally for the right price.

keep on him, if hes dicking around and you know boats, chances are most people will pass on it because of all the work, if you know what your doing sounds like you can make some good $$ on it, personally id prob jump on a deal like this. wakeboats are easy money to the right buyer if you get it fixed up good as new.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-10-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
I see it as quite the opportunity and am kicking myself for not being in a position to get it, but I have sent the info on to 3 different WWers already with a request to keep this thread updated...and 'yes' this is a $20K boat otherwise (this one even has the ballast system which was an option that year).

(Message edited by onthewatermo on July 10, 2008)
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-10-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
Upload
And "yes" I realize that I took pictures that provided the least helpful information about the boat but at the time was just trying to remember the model because I was unfamiliar with the Supra line (whereas now I am obsessed).
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-11-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
GET THAT BOAT! Or I will!