Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    powerstroke            01-13-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
well i intend to do exactly that. i have a few q's?? for those of you who have one.
1. height from floor of boat to the top?
2. how tight is that cable that runs to the front of the boat with the cable/strap?
3. i plan to do this very soon i know i am cheap but just cant justify $400 dollars for maybe 75 dollars and a few hours worth of work. any info greatly appreciated. thanks and yes i will post pics when its complete. thanks ryan
p.s. its and inboard and i will be sliding it over the ski pylon.
Old    tea_boy            01-14-2005, 1:54 AM Reply   
Fitted this to my old Maristar. Ran with it for two seasons with no problems. Total cost about $200. The cables run to the cleats on either side of the boat. Took out the original ski pole to get a better fit.Height of pole was 7ft.

Old    walt            01-14-2005, 4:51 AM Reply   
You can pick up a Skylon on E-bay for 150 if you keep your eyes open.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-14-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
you can pick this one up for aroudn $100.

http://www.gulfcoastwakeboarding.com/wb2/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=781&PN=1

Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-14-2005, 8:06 PM Reply   
See comments below your questions IN ALL CAPS.
1. height from floor of boat to the top?
7'0" IS WHAT MOST PYLONS AND TOWERS TARGET IN DESIGN.
2. how tight is that cable that runs to the front of the boat with the cable/strap?
149.625 IN*LBS*HP/BTU - OK, A BUNCH OF BS. YOU NEED THE CABLES TIGHT ENOUGH TO HAVE ACCEPTABLE MOVEMENT OF THE PYLON PULLING A RIDER. IT'S MORE OF A "FIGURE IT OUT" THING THAN A SETTING WITH ANY PYLON.
3. i plan to do this very soon i know i am cheap but just cant justify $400 dollars for maybe 75 dollars and a few hours worth of work. any info greatly appreciated. thanks and yes i will post pics when its complete. thanks ryan
CHECK OUT WWW.DIYTOWER.COM IF YOUR DOING YOUR OWN, SOME GREAT DOC'S FROM PROJECTS WHERE OTHER PEOPLE MADE THEM.

p.s. its and inboard and i will be sliding it over the ski pylon.
THE DIAMETER OF YOUR PYLON IS 2.5" MOST LIKELY, YOU NEED A COVER THAT.

PYLONS ARE GOING SO CHEAP ON EBAY THESE DAYS AS MANY HAVE MOVED TO TOWERS THAN IT MAY ACTUALLY BE CHEAPER, ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF YEAR, TO HIT EBAY. WORTH A LOOK?
Old    linus8103            01-15-2005, 7:05 AM Reply   
Pylons will get you in the air... but i had a pylon for half a season then got a tower. If your inboard has a narrow beam(6'8-7'5) then your driver will have a very hard time keeping the wake looking nice. There will be a pull when the rider cuts out putting a wash on the wake. If you are not ready to buy a tower then I agree, with everyone else. Buy a pylon cheap during the off season.
Old    powerstroke            01-16-2005, 8:39 PM Reply   
i looked at the site it appears to already be sold and for an i/o but i will continue to look until it is buying day at the hardware store. i appreciate everyones input and help much needed. thanks again
Old    moose1of1            02-21-2005, 2:19 PM Reply   
i made two one was w high pole with three straps and it was 7 ft tall , can you weld , i put three loops at the top about 8 inches down from the ball , the ball was an old tow ball off my truck and a place about 12 x 12 inched at the bottom it pulled me out of the water im about 230 pounds , make sure the pipe is thick wall and at leat 2 inches od the second one is a tower it took me about 10 ours to build it goes across the boat inside and is 5'6" tall i also strap it down and run a strap to the bow , it holds 4 boards and tows well , good luck
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-22-2005, 9:00 PM Reply   
Some good info to build your own at www.diytower.com
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-23-2005, 5:02 AM Reply   
ebay...100.00-150.00
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-23-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
We made a pylon for last season, but we're upgrading to a tower before we start this year. Anyways, we built a pylon so that it will be completely removable with no unbolting, or hardware visible to the people. we put it right in front of the engine, and had a hole through the bottom of the cup holder tray, so we simply slid it down and onto the mount, and then took it off when we're done, leaving nothing to be seen. but yeah, Kris is right, a hard pull to one side or another will definately put a drag on the boat and sometimes a dirty wake when you cut. If in doubt, build a tower, and www.diytower.com is an excellent place to learn how.