Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old    searay_185            04-18-2006, 5:38 PM Reply   
What is a good combo for a beginner and hopefully for the whole family, up to 200 lbs.?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-18-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
the whole family weighs 200lbs? damn, eat some cheeseburgers, will ya???

ok, so if we recommend a board that a 200-pounder can ride, the lighter riders will have a hard time riding a big board. and vice versa...if we recommend a board to suit the lighter riders, the 200-pounder will have a hard time riding that board.

the best thing to do is to go to your local shop and check out some package deals. in some instances, you can get 2 packages for the price of 1 advance level board + 1 pair of advance level bindings.
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-18-2006, 5:50 PM Reply   
What does the lightest person weigh? If it isnt off too much of 200, then it would be alirght to get somewhere in the 136 to 140 something range
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-18-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
Give us a price range and weight range. Like Joe said you might be able to get two boards, one around 132 and the other around 138-140, and one pair of bindings like the LF Alphas. All for around $400. As far as which board, it's been said so many times, everyone on here as an opinion. Most seem to all be good opinions though.

My personal opinion would be a LF Trip or HL Motive/Any Belmont. For the bindings, LF Alphas are one of the best bindings for multiple riders that can be ridden at an advanced level. I don't know much about CWB but I hear they have a good all purpose low price binding as well.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-19-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
CWB does have some great beginner packages as well as Hype and Liquid Force. If you are lookin at CWB check out the Sol pkg with the Torq hinge tech bindings if you get a Sol 141 then you can weigh from 160lbs and up to just over 200lbs it has a really good weight range and the Torqs with hinge if you get a lg/xl you can have a foot size from a size 9 to a size 12 the small/med are from 5 to 8. Best of luck to ya.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-19-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
You should probably be looking for a continuous rocker (if you dont know what that is, google it). That will help you progress faster, and give you a bit more forgiving falls.

A couple of great continuous boards that I have used:

Hyperlite Temet 04' (on ebay for like 150)
Hyperlite Belmont 03' (not sure on price, but really cheap)

I also know that LF has some nice models. Just check their site.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-19-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Motive, Belmont, Temet, Murray.. all Shuan Murray boards, all continuous, all fun predictable shapes, wont go wrong with either from first time riding to pro!
By the way, there was a year where the Motive shape was called the Belmont (2001 I think).. the next year Murray created a new shape, called it the Belmont again and Hyperlite kept the older shape but renamed it the Motive. The board is still in production today under the Motive name.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-19-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
I 2d Paul to an extent. The '00-01 Belmont and currently the Motive is great, and I can't think of a better all around board for all skill levels. It will help people progress and be great for newbs too.

BUT I think the Temet is a terrible shape, not a fan of it for beginners and not a fan for anyone above that. it is too slow and you constantly have to pull to keep the board under you. As Garret shows some people do like this shape and I;m sure they can tear it up on it. But no one from my crew that tried the Temet liked it and everyone I know that has tried the Belmont/Motive is a fan of the shape.

I say get the Motive or look for an '00 to '01 Belmont on eBay. If you need it to carry up to 200 lbs but still work okay for smaller people I'd go with a 140.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-19-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
As for JoshB's post... i've not personally ridden the Temet but I want to now because of your thoughts on it.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-19-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
Paul, if you try it, let me know what you think. Everyone has opinions and I fully respect Garret's opinion. If he love it, he loves it. Plus Murray is an amazing wakeboarder and he definitely throws down on it.

More specifically on the Temet, it felt so slow that it actually felt like it had something that was making it stick to the water. After ten minutes of riding my shoulder's burned from having to hold it under me. I've never experienced this on a wakeboard before. My cousin had the same burning experience as did the others in our group who had little wakeboard experience. Besides the slowness of the board it seemed less stable and less predictable than the Belmont/Motive. What's funny is that I ride the Parks, which people say is completely unpredictable on the pop but I've never had a problem with it and thought it was far better than the Temet.

Maybe I was just on a bad Temet?

*End hijack*
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-19-2006, 4:59 PM Reply   
MOtive is a great board- we own a couple of them a 119 and a 142. Very forgiving and easy to learn on. I weigh 200 and the 142 is great. my son who is 120 and my wife who's the same both use the board ( they're very much beginners) like it.

Old    searay_185            04-20-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
My son weighs 135, 6'2", I am 195 lbs.(too many cheeseburgers)Thanks for the info guys,where is a good place, I checked out what west marine had.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-20-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
www.buywake.com
www.wakeside.com
www.your local shop.com
Old    mgarza09            04-20-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
Hey guys, im new to wakeboarding and need some advice on getting out of the water, anyone able to offer some advice
Old     (kaben)      Join Date: Apr 2001 Location: Sacramento, CA       04-20-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
mark g here is an artical http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2002/GettingUp.asp
Old    mgarza09            04-20-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
cool thanks cabin