Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-04-2007, 6:44 PM Reply   
Looking at buying a new Malibu VLX or a new Supra 20SSV.

Any opinions. I am leaning towards the BU, but would love some opinions on either. thanks
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-04-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
Im picking up my 20SSV in 2 weeks and wont be able to use it till spring! I can let you know what I think then! Gonna be a long long winter. Ive been in a VLX a few times and it was really nice but the deal I got on the SSV and Supra/Moombas history for reliability made me want one really bad. I also like that its not so huge. 20'8inchs is plenty for me.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       11-04-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
Hey abe, i have a vlx and love it. I have never been in a supra so i cant say much, but i will give you this one piece of advice. Go with the dealer the will take care of you after your purchase. Ask the service guy for some referals good and bad. Also ride it and drive it bring a couple friends see how it feels with a typical crew. happy boating.. p.s malibu rocks.
Old    stillstandin            11-04-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
I think the VTX is more of a comparison to the 20ssv..size wise anyway
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-04-2007, 8:55 PM Reply   
Build Quality of the VLX is VERY hard to match.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-04-2007, 10:09 PM Reply   
^^^^^^what craig said^^^^^^^^^^ i love my vlx but i have a bone to pick with a certain 20ssv, mcl, lots of pain and fear of tatrums because of the good one. but seriously supra/bu great boats both quality build and clen fit and finish, drive em and ride em, then you will know witch one is for you.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2007, 11:00 PM Reply   
yea they are both great boats and they both have great wakes, i own a vlx and i love it, couldnt ask for a better boat, but i have competed behind a 22 ssv with a reprop and driver plus 2 and 800 lbs of lead, full ballest and let me tell you that that wake was like hitting a wall.. no joke, my back was destroyed for a few days
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-05-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
Are these boats even in the same class? I mean price and size. I would go with the VLX if comparing to a 20v and price isn't a factor.
Old     (kdsuprassv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-05-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
I did not test drive the VLX.....I test drove the V-Ride. The only issue I had with the V-Ride was I could not get the nose of the boat down no matter where a put the wedge. I am able to adjust the wake plate on my 20 SSV and see perfectly where I am going. I liked the looks of the Illusions X tower but the more I talked to people I heard some say that it made a lot of noise when it moved. Also the Supra has more room inside than the V-Ride and the Supra tower is solid. I still like the VLX with the Illusion tower but I'm not ready to spend any more money right now. The Supra has lots of attention to detail. As far as the wake goes...I am no help....I've never been behind one. You couldn't go wrong either way.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-05-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
Like some others have said you aren't really comparing apples to apples. If you like the size of the the 20ssv you should be comparing that to the BU VTX and if you like the size of the VLX you should be comparing that to the 22SSV. I don't know from first hand experience but both the VLX and the 22SSV Gravity Games throw awesome stock wakes. An advantage of the BU is that the ballast doesn't take up storage room. Also from what I hear if you get either Malibu you will want the bow ballast option. I hear they like weight up front.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-05-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
Both great boats, but I agree with what is said above. The VLX would be better off compared to Supra's 21V, or even the 22SSV. The VTX and 20SSV go head to head very well.

Test 'em, ride 'em, drive 'em. And make sure the dealer has a solid reputation for customer service, after the sale.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-05-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
Brett,
i have the vlx and the dmn dealer didnt tell me it needed front ballest and the thing does not like it with out a sac in the front so get the front ballest.