Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-28-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
what do you guys recommend? advantages and disadvantages?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-28-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
Open toe for life baby! lol

Actually I would wear closed toe if there was a set that fit me right. Odd feet I guess. I'm usually right in between Larges and Mediums. I don't believe there is any advantage to having your toes covered up, but open toe boot just look a little outdated.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-28-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Wow, didn't expect to see this topic come up ever again.

If it were up to me, I'd ride open toe forever just cause I stub my toe about once a year on CT. However a very high majority of boots are closed toe now and so now I ride closed toe cause I like the cut/stiffness/look/weight,etc better on my ones than any open toe as of right now. Just go with the trends man. If industry standard becomes using the hyperlite system, I guess I'll switch to that eventually as well
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-28-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
Open! Don't like stubbing my toes. We're often out on the boat with several people without wakeboards. Open toes is a little more versatile between different riders.
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-28-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
haha for the number of closed-toes i see out on the water, suprised to see so many open-toe advocates. ive always been open-toe but have been wondering if I should invest in some closed-toe boots now.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-28-2011, 1:57 PM Reply   
CT all the way. So comfortable. Never going back!
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-28-2011, 2:07 PM Reply   
Oh, and open toe you eject out of your boots easier. Closed toe, you stay locked in more after a slam.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778078
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-28-2011, 2:38 PM Reply   
Closed toed for me, but open toed boots rock for a general boat board that you let everyone use
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-28-2011, 2:48 PM Reply   
Crazy how the market is going all CT, but the first four replies prefer OT.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-28-2011, 2:58 PM Reply   
I've tried a few pairs of closed toe hoping I'd like them... nope always stub my toes and it sucks that the mfg's don't offer open toe in the higher end boots like the watson anymore. Just retired my 09 OT watsons and went with the Ultras. Open toe forever for me too!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-28-2011, 11:16 PM Reply   
I like the feel of the CT, but had some stubbing problems too especially with one foot that has a bent toenail from a previous injury and now it seems to grow like that.
i started wearing thick neoprene socks in a boot that was a bit bigger. gives me more padding, especially in the toe box. LOVE IT!
Old    PapaBProductions            06-29-2011, 12:33 AM Reply   
surprised to see so many open toe lovers. feel so much more in control with closed. but its hard for me to teach new riders cause no one fits my size
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-29-2011, 1:01 AM Reply   
Closed toe without a doubt but it means fewer people can ride my board.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-29-2011, 3:29 AM Reply   
Closed toe,so no one else can use my board.LOL
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-29-2011, 5:39 AM Reply   
I have CT right now, and am looking for a new pair with Open Toe. I hate slamming my toes, and my footbed in the CTs move around all of the time. Otherwise I dig the look of the CT boots, and I may have bought the wrong pair.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-29-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
Closed Toe for sure! My toes moved too much forward with open toe.
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-29-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
I rock the OT Vantages and love them...the one pair of CT I did wear, I felt like I was wearing moon boots. I am sure my next pair of boots/bindings, I will look at CT a little more.

Last edited by crosenhahn; 06-29-2011 at 8:04 AM. Reason: grammer
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-29-2011, 8:42 AM Reply   
Close toes are awesome for that early morning, early season sessions!
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-29-2011, 9:25 AM Reply   
ive never tried riding CT... when do you slam your toes? on the landing?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-29-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatantblunts View Post
ive never tried riding CT... when do you slam your toes? on the landing?
only certain landings that would put some forward mommentum on your foot. thing to keep in mind: Not all CT boots are created equal, and not all feet are created equal either. some people fit perfectly in certain boots, others have harder time finding the right boot. you will hear time and time again, "get the right size and you will never hit your toes" but this is subjective and is not completely true/possible for everyone. this is where the neo socks come in handy IMO

Ronix IMO has had some of the most padded toe boxes of all CT boots every year.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-29-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
If your foot is sliding forward in any boot, I would argue that it doesn't fit properly.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2011, 10:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
If your foot is sliding forward in any boot, I would argue that it doesn't fit properly.
TRUE!... i guess to better state what i was trying to say is that a rider is not going to be able to find a perfect fit in every brand and model of boot. some feet are hard to please and size for.
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-01-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
anyone know any good websites with cheap bindings that I can buy? doesn't matter if they are used... if i'm gonna buy a pair of closed toe i don't want to spend a lot of money til I try some out and see what the differences are from OT
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-01-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
Open toe.
Old    djstasevich            07-01-2011, 3:14 PM Reply   
I rode with open toe in my very beginner day, I switched to the Ronix One's and love them... I think it helped me with my leverage, especially with my extensive snowboarding background, helped me to progress in comfort, also my foot fits the One's flawlessly, never had any toe slam at all.