Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-08-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
Watch this video from 2006:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChwJiKKBdA&NR=1

Fast forward to 2009, the Asian Carp were just detected upstream of the Brandon Road lock and dam on the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal. This is serious because there is only one lock left, along with the electric fence you see in the video, until they are in Lake Michigan.

Presently, the electric fence is only at 1/4 power so that ships and boaters on the canal are not zapped. It is believed that at 1/4 power, adult fish are repelled but juvenile fish are not.

I hope they give the electric fence full juice since one lock is not much protection for all of the Great Lakes.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-08-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
"Welcome to the new world order"
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-08-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
We ride in Peoria and sometimes one will jump past you as you are riding so we really have to watch for them. I hope something can be done soon since this problem is getting bad. They better crank that fence up and stop them, then come down river and find a way to kill them off!
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-08-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
A new world order is right!!! I live in Ottawa IL and ride the Illinois river and I have never seen the carp above the Starved Rock Damn but this year they are everywhere above that lock. Last week I was out during the week in the afternoon and it was my first set of the day and I probably wasn't out of the water for 10sec and the started flying between me and the boat! scarry as hell! Yesterday me and my wife were just idling inside the walls of Heritage Harbor and my wife in the back seat almost got hit in the head! Its a huge problem!
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-09-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   

quote:

"Welcome to the new world order"

I, for one, welcome our new flying fish overlords!
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-09-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
I got a shotgun and if you supply the shells, I'm more than happy to come up to the lock and keep watch!
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-09-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
Just wait until they are out here in the west! I can't imagine Lake Powell with flying carp.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-09-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
Wow, thats crazy, that many fish and jumping that high! Those things are huge! And we're worried about little mussels! lol
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-09-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
I guess they are already here in the west...

Silver Carp in Nevada
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-09-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
"Possibly stocked by accident with catfish" is how they made it to Nevada! That's a really unfortunate accident.

This article mentions that they are worried fishermen will use a juvenile as bait, introducing it to Lake Michigan:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/52605357.html
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-09-2009, 8:45 PM Reply   
OK, Cody B, check out this video. I can't believe they get this thick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPaxIpoyM0&feature=related
Old     (an_d)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-09-2009, 9:49 PM Reply   
theres gotta be a poison or something that you can put in the water to kill these things. yeah im sure some environmentalist group would never allow a fish to be injured cause that's just sooooooo horrible. like the nets are okay, but that's just containing the problem. There's gotta be a way to kill them all of in one clean swoop.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-10-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
Looks like they werent to fond of that electricity.... I say turn it up and kill everything in the area.... Those things look like the suck for sure.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-10-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
Wonder how many you could take down in one of those thick areas with a single 12 ga shot? Might be a giant mess though...LOL
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-10-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
I've seen guys shoot them out of the air with arrows on a vid someplace. It looked like fun. On the MO river all you have to do is stay out of the shallows and you're fine as the carp don't like deep water. BTW, you can kill them all and they would still just work their way back upstream. I think that they are making the MO river a lot cleaner than it was in the past and the Conservation officer I talked to, while toeing the official line that carp are bad, thought that I may be correct. They filter a lot of silt to get their food. I also hear the zoo in St Louis has a program going where they electrocute the carp, grind them up, and then feed the animals fish cakes for lunch. Super cheap feed and good for the zoo animals. The conservation gal I talked to had a chain link fence wrapped around her helm station to keep the carp from bouncing off her noggin when they jumped in to join her.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-11-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
That is a hoot! can you even eat those pieces of crap, I mean carp?