Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-02-2006, 9:48 PM Reply   
Today was a good day for me. My daughter has been showing some interest in wakeboarding, so we have slowly eased her into the first steps. The final step before actually trying it was to buy her a wakeboard of her very own. With that said, she bugged me all week to bring her out. So, we went out this morning and she surprised us all by getting up and riding 1/4 mile to the end of a slough and then doing it again. She had a great time and loved to hear the cheers from the boat.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-03-2006, 12:34 AM Reply   
that friggin rocks dude!
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-03-2006, 6:50 AM Reply   
One of the most enjoyable things about wakeboarding for me is seeing the "little ones" getting up and riding for the first time. Congrats to the little ripper!!!!
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-03-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
Congrats to the little ripper!! I also have 2 daughters ages 15 and 12 that also rip and I know how you feel........ Wish you the best of luck....
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2006, 7:23 AM Reply   
GREAT TO HEAR!!!!!!!!! nice to have people in the water coaching
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-03-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
Wow I cant get my 7 year old even close to a tube!!!! My daughter who just turned 11 rips though
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-03-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone. Yeah Daniel, 2 months ago I would have bet you any amount of money that she wouldn't do it. She just showed some interest one day and it escalated from there.
Old    taz1            09-03-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
sweet..... that's great to see. Our son just turned 5 and got his first board. I'm stoked.

How fast did you pull her?
Old    taz1            09-03-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
One more question. Did you start her off with the board already straight ahead or did you have to help her flip the board from the horizontal position?

Thanks...
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-03-2006, 11:30 PM Reply   
great job!! mad props to your daughter for getting up and doing it, and a second one to you, for being the great instructor
Old     (wakechallenged)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-04-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
Rod, very cool. I have been working the training sled (horseshoe shaped board) with my kids in the 3-5 year old range but the swith to an actual wakeboard is always the toughest. I'm on my second transition of 4 kids and am STILL experimenting. In your photos, I see you are in the water with her.... are you stabilizing the board, holding her, helping her up, dragging a bit with the boat? Please share your technique.
Old     (wakechallenged)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-04-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
Rod, very cool. I have been working the training sled (horseshoe shaped board) with my kids in the 3-5 year old range but the swith to an actual wakeboard is always the toughest. I'm on my second transition of 4 kids and am STILL experimenting. In your photos, I see you are in the water with her.... are you stabilizing the board, holding her, helping her up, dragging a bit with the boat? Please share your technique.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-04-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
Her first run I had her in the ready position and had my wife drag her for a touch and then pull her out. I basically just made sure her board was out of the water and then flipped the front of the board forward. She is so light that she is on top of the water before you know it. She immediately veers to the left and hangs out there until the end of the slough. On her second run, I was in the water with her but didn't help with getting the board out. So now we will work on her in the water by herself. And we will use a longer slough during the week when it isn't crowded. As for speed, my wife pulled her as slow as possible without making her labor to hold on to the rope. It was funny, my wife told me she actually let go of the rope with one hand to signal to speed it up a bit. Good luck starting your kids out, it is a blast!
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-04-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
I always come back to check out this thread. I think it is awesome!! I can see her telling your wife to speed up, that is sooo funny. I think everyone is happy with you.
Old     (denjoe)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-05-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
Man, that is awesome, I am dying to get my 7 year old daughter up on a board. She currently water skiies.
Old     (dirk22)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-05-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
I have twin girls that are 6. They want to try really bad. What size board did you get gor her?
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-05-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
It is a CWB Worm 124 with CWB Comp bindings that I scored off E-Bay. I got it for $77 and the seller even delivered it to my door.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2006, 12:24 AM Reply   
Right on Rod! We bought a board for our 5 year old daughter, she asked for it, but everytime in the boat she says "I'll do it when I'm ready...okay, Dad!" with a sweet but very serious tone. Her brother, 2 1/2 has tried it though. No luck yet. But seeing your daughter ride gives me hope for my children, at the very least lets me know that it can be done if they want to do it. Way Cool!