Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old    ldurnal            07-05-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
I have an 03 X2 and have never changed out the impellers on the ballast pumps. Of course they stick (have since day one) and I have to back off the plate to get them to move. I've read some posts on this and I'm not sure what the best solution is. Does anyone know if there's a better/replacement impeller or was it decided that the wiring was not sufficient for the pumps. My dealer says they have a "Mastercraft" replacement for $29 each. He claims he doesn't know who makes it, they just get it from mastercraft. The old impeller is a Jabsco with a MC part number stamped on it "300217" and the "replacement" he's offering has a MC number of "300218". Has anyone run into this and managed to solve the problem? Thanks for any advice.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-05-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
Im assuming these are jabsco pumps, ballast puppys. I run 3 of these in my sanger and after 1 year finally have to replace the impellers on 2 of them. They sell them at west-marine for 20.99 each. Part# is 6303-0003 also 6303-0023 works.
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-05-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
I have an '02 with the puppy's in them. I took the cover's off each pump, pulled the impellers out, took a razor, and removed just the nub (lengthwise) off every other impeller blade. Works OK now, but maybe increased the fill/drain times just a little.

I'm not so close to death that this matters...

Dave
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-05-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
You can also use a little Non-Petroleum grease on the covers.
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-05-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
I tried the silicone grease before cutting the impellers, and it worked for a few weeks, but it eventually got sticky again...

So far, the impeller cutting has worked for 2 seasons, with no other maintenance.
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-05-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
The impellers with the brass insert are the best, I had the all rubber ones stock in my 2002 MC and they stuck often. The brass though still stick. After emptying the ballast flip the pump on to fill for a second to get the impeller going the rigth way for next use, seems to help.
Old     (kbrowning)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-06-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
I had the identical issue with my 02 x star. Along with the impeller issue, they also had an issue with the gauge of the wiring being undersized. They have pulled heavier gauge wire and finally replaced all three pumps. It was a headache for several years, but now all operates well. Your dealer should work with you, as they know there was a problem. Good Luck!
Old    ldurnal            07-06-2006, 7:20 AM Reply   
Thanks to all. I had wondered if shaving a little off the impellers would help. I guess I'll give that a shot before replacing them.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-06-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
I believe they upgraded these in 05. I replaced all my impellers when I bought my boat and the ones that came out were black and the new ones were yellow. I was having to flip the switch back and forth a few times to get 'em going, but after swapping them I've had no problems at all.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-06-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
Scott, were did you get the yellow ones, one of my pumps have a yellow one, the other 2 are black.
Old    ldurnal            07-06-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
Yes, that is what I have been told. The new yellow ones prodived by MC (part #300218) are the ones the dealer wants $29 for. I just didn't want to pay premium pricing if there was an alternative and the dealer claims they don't know who the manufacturer is.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-06-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
I got mine from the MC dealer, who was nice enough just to give me three of them. I'm pretty sure they're Jabsco impellers.
Old    jrhollow            07-07-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
I have an 03 X2 and one of my pumps went out this spring so I replaced it with a new ballast puppy, which had the new impeller. It filled so much faster than the other two that replaced the impellers in the other two pumps. Well worth the money.
Old    ldurnal            07-07-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
Does anyone have a Jabsco part number for the yellow one's?
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-07-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
Call Bay Area Watersports at 813.996.2297. Anyone there should be able to help you out. Just say you're looking for the yellow ballast impellers.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-07-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
I hear the new yellow impellers will run dry unlike the old ones......