Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    tribal            09-16-2003, 10:19 AM Reply   
Just saw the survey today on wakeboarding and the olympics and was shocked to see 55% were in favor.Olympics only kill free expression sports.Do you want to see wakeboarding reduced to a bunch of clones doing the same move with no personal styleIt was a great day for surfing when it did not become a demo sport at the sydney olympics.JMO as I have had a lot of experience with these issues in the world of freeskiing and snowboarding.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-16-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
Well i you have a look at the snowboard pipe comps, the expression is still there, just not judged. If they come up with good juding then maybe.
Old    norcal_99            09-16-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
I don't think wakeboarding will ever become an olympic sport.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-16-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
I agree with Rene. It is just not a well enough known sport (which I am fine with b/c more people mean more boats and rougher water). If you noticed that the XGames did not give wakeboarding much coverage in comparison to some of the other sports. Everybody can buy a skateboard and find a parking lot so they can relate to skateboarding. Wakeboarding, on the other hand, is not accessible to most people out there and a lot of poeple dont even know what it is.

In conclusion, (haha - thesis) wakeboarding will not be a sport in the olympics.
Old    tribal            09-16-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
They've only recently roped snowboarding in,watch the decline
Old    murrayair            09-16-2003, 12:46 PM Reply   
I don't like the idea of extreme sports such as wakeboarding, etc. being in the olympics. It makes them seem closer to "normal" sports. I thought the X-games was kind of the olympics of extreme sports.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-16-2003, 7:12 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding will not be in the Olympics. Waterskiing has tried to be included for years with no success.