Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    lakeside5_10            02-04-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
hey everybody , were is the best place to buy shaping tools and what would be the essential
ones you would only buy.i was wanting to get into the game and have some fun.
Old    surfdad            02-04-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
What material will you be shaping? PolyU or EPS? There are some difference in tools. The basic arsenal will include a planer, a surfoam, a block plane, a spokeshaven, a level, a square, the large calipers (for measuring board thickness, pencils and a MILLION sheets of sandpaper/dragon skin :-) I would also buy a good quality respirator - the small foam particles can get into your lungs, and when you work with some of the chemicals during glassing you'll need it later.

www.Foamez.com has a pretty good selection of tools and I think they have a starter kit.

http://www.foamez.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_59

You may have most of the basic tools in your shop, already. Things you don't have you can make. The calipers as an example, can be made from some pieces of light ply.

The one tool that you will use repeatedly is the electric plane. Spend some dollars on this and make a good investment, it'll save you countless hours and frustration later. You'll want a carbide barrel for EPS so you don't tear the stuff.

That'll get you started and welcome to the obsession! :-) Keep us posted on your progess, please.
Old    lakeside5_10            02-04-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
Jeff ,
does the pro shaper kit come with the carbide barrel ?? i guess the eps would be the material of choice , i think i will get blanks from WNC
Old    surfdad            02-04-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
WNC has great foam...I just ordered several billets from them. I don't believe the pro kit has the barrel - it's over $300 by itself. You might want to give it a go without the barrel to begin with and then ask for the barrel as a b-day or xmas present. :-)

Dear Santa, I have been so good all year it HURTS! Please bring me a spiral barrel for Christmas. :-)
Old    lakeside5_10            02-04-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
i am looking to use the 5.11 j board blank to make a under 5 foot shape. i surfed on saturday and water temp was 60 and air temp was 63
Old    lakeside5_10            02-04-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
forgot to ask what shaping dvd's would you recommend as well
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-04-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
Here's what Santa brought me this year.

Upload

The Harbor Freight planner was only about $40, at least that's what Santa said. It's cheap but did the job.
Upload

Some Stands would be handy. I got the basic design from Surfer Steve’s how to site. You should take a look at the site.
Upload

http://www.surfersteve.com/

Here's my part spread sheet for my very first foam board order.
application/octet-streamUpload
Parts.xls (25.6 k)
Old    lakeside5_10            02-04-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Ed ,
what barrel did you use on your planer
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-04-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
The one that came in the box with the planner. Sorry I still have a lot to learn. The planner did come with a sharpening tool and spare brushes. It was a cheap way to get started.
Old    lakeside5_10            02-04-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
Ed , have you used the planer , what is the part # on it. i saw 2 on harbor for under 30 bux
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-04-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
Hey Salty - i can't remember which one either, but just about any planer will do the job. of course some are better than others, but for $40 you can't go too wrong... the carbide barrel is not necessary. but I, like Jeff wouldn't mind if Santa brought me one for say, Valentine's day. without the barrel you just have to take slow easy passes so you don't gouge the foam. get some cheap foam from home depot or something to practice a bit on.

the one recommendation I would add to Ed's stands (mine are similar) is to widen the trough in the middle so you can put your board in there at an angle for doing the rails rather than vertical. instead of foam tubing like surfer steve says, use some old carpet that you nail/staplegun to the sides, but that hangs in the trough like a U barely touching the bottom if at all...

would be great to see you building some boards!

(Message edited by smedman on February 04, 2008)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-04-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
The SKU# is 32222.

Yes, I've used it.
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-04-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
I agree with Matt. One 4x4 width is not enough there should be at least one more 2x4 spacer in there.
Old    lakeside5_10            02-05-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
thanks everyone , shipping a 4 board box from WNC is 130 to georgia. AND would the carbide barrel fit on the chicago pn. planer or not.??