Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wspeedin)      Join Date: May 2011       07-11-2011, 11:47 AM Reply   
Hey there everyone. I posted this video on Wakeboarder.com and figured I would add it to WakeWorld for all of yall to see. This is some footage of my riding so far for 2011. I am a paraplegic who is trying to bring disabled wakeboarding into the mainstream. I have been competeing at all my local events and showing everybody how its done.

Yes, I am riding Shaun Murray's new 2011 Nova Core! What an awesome board!!!
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-11-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
Nice job!!!
Old     (slickwater1)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-11-2011, 3:07 PM Reply   
awesome, i love how people look at a disability and make it an ability.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-11-2011, 5:43 PM Reply   
I hope you succeed with your goal. I helped at an event a few summers ago, skiing and wakeboarding, and everyone who participated loved it. It was great to see the smiles on their faces. A couple of the guys on the slalom skis were tearing it up too.

Hopefully as it gets more mainstream, wake companies will help to support the organizations/programs that provide these opportunities to ride.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2011, 6:49 AM Reply   
Will

I have a friend named Bradly Ceicle that came out and rode behind my boat a few times and he is a paraplegic, he had the exact same set up you do. I was wondering if you were the one that helpedhim set it up
Old     (wspeedin)      Join Date: May 2011       07-12-2011, 6:54 AM Reply   
Blair, Sorry but I am not. This is only my 2nd year doing this. I had a guy in NC build my setup, however, there are many different manufactures of this kind of setup throughout the US and across the pond. I wish I was though because they are expensive to buy. Glad to hear another person getting out there and living life to the fullest!!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-12-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
Will, do you know about the Xtremity Games?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2011, 8:25 AM Reply   
Yea he seemed like he was haveing a good time. The only problem I could see is he seemed to bounce alot, even when he was just riding in a straight line. Do you have any idea's on how to fix this. But that didn't stop him from charging the the wake every time. Even though he pretty much face planted every jump LOL.
Old     (wspeedin)      Join Date: May 2011       07-12-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
J-Rod, I do know about the Extremit Games! I wish I could have made it this year, but Texas is out of my price range on travel this year. I was also recently invited to the WWA Rockstar National in Minneapolis but again, I cant afford to make that trip. i live in NC its a bummer!!

Blair, one of the biggest reasons he is bouncing on top of the water is most likely his position on the board. You have to watch how the baord rides in the water to be able to determine where he should be balanced on the board. First and foremost the board should be about 2/3 in the water, basically, just the first 12 inches or so should be out of the water when edging out. Now the quickest way to set this up is to have him put the setup on a dowel rod (broon stick handle) and get in his setup. He needs to be able to balance the board on the pole. Or atleast be able to rock back and forth with as little effort as possible.
Now the face planting is a handle positioning thing. When he pops off the wake, or for any move really, he needs to make sure he keeps his handle LOW! If the handle comes above your knees you will faceplant everytime. Also, he needs to make sure he NEVER looks down. If you look down, you will go down. And lastly, Im not sure his level of injury, but I know in my case I am a T4 which doesnt allow me alot of torso control. So I use a strap to keep my chest against my knees. I do this because when you lean back you are actually putting more pressure on the front of the board.

I hope this helps, let me know if there is anything else.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
Thanks man I'll let him know.
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-12-2011, 9:12 PM Reply   
Good Stuff!!! Have you never tried an Air Chair (http://www.airchair.com/). There pretty old school, so a lot people have never seen one.
Cheers,
DC
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2011, 6:37 AM Reply   
Cool stuff Will - glad to see you out there shredding. Lookin good!!!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-13-2011, 6:04 PM Reply   
That's some awesome riding there Will !

I'd give you a pull anytime if you're up my way (Jersey)
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-13-2011, 6:22 PM Reply   
Will you are the man! Awesome job bro
Old     (wspeedin)      Join Date: May 2011       07-14-2011, 9:32 AM Reply   
Dennis, I have heard many people tell me I should try the AirChair. Unfortuantely I cant ride it. It takes muscles that I cannot control to use it. I am a t4 paraplegic, which basically means I have no torso/abs control. Now, I have thought about trying to bolt my Cage to the AirChair and try to ride it that way, but havent tried it yet.

As for everyone else, thank you so much for the positive responses. Its good to see people have good responses to this type of wakebaording because I want to get this more mainstream. Soo though, soon.
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-19-2011, 8:18 PM Reply   
Simply awesome and inspiring! Keep it up!