Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    phyrfighter95            08-20-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
Let me start by saying I am new to wakeboarding. Spent 8 years riding the snow, now im looking for something to tide me over (no pun intended) in the summer. I bought my first boat, a 1987 14' bayliner w/ a force 50hp outboard (all i could afford). I need to help her get me up out of the hole. Without buying a new motor, what can i do?
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-20-2004, 1:04 PM Reply   
You can change the prop, to a lower pitch. It will give you more hole shot,but top end will suffer.
If you are having troubles getting up, you need to watch someone who can do it. or get one of the videos. ( higher education is good ) I used to have troubles behind my carolina skiff w/50 yamaha, and thought it was the engine, after trying it behing a bass boat with a 150, still same problem. I just needed better teaching on how to get up.
Old    powaman            08-20-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
Yup man you'd be surpised what those little engines can do. If you know how to get up, you should have no problem getting up on a 50 horse. I say just keep trying. And with a boat with less ponies turn the board quicker during a deepwater start. The
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-20-2004, 8:42 PM Reply   
Borrow as big of a board as you can, or try to get up on a surfboard the same was as you get up on the wakeboard to get the technique.

I learned to two ski, slalom (dont cut our you bring the boat off plain), kneeboard and "wake"surf behind a 11' john boat with a 20 hp Merc.
Old    phyrfighter95            08-23-2004, 4:46 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I just tried again this weekend after installing a hydrofoil. Worked wonders for planing. It used to take 8 seconds ,now its about 2 seconds. Now my only problem is the wake the boat leaves (or lack thereof i should say).
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-24-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
When I had the carolina skiff, I could pull one rider, and have two in the boat. after that it became a problem of engine HP. So I could never add much weight to get a better wake. My son was able to learn all four 180's, a 360, and on the double up he could do a back roll. You can go slow( about 19 MPH ) and use a shorter rope to get the best air. A ski pylon is helpful also. you can buy one from overton's or make one a little taller. Good Luck, and most of all have fun.