Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-12-2011, 4:51 PM Reply   
Guys,
We are getting an old beater pontoon for free. We are going to use it to cruise around instead of the Nauti. I was wondering if anyone knew what output the charging system on an old 84 50HP Johnson would put out. I know it charges a little and maintains the starting battery. I was wanting to do some small upgrades to the stereo. I will add extra battery or two and hook them in series. I have no way to shore charge as boat will be left in the dock. I am going to run four 6.5's off the head unit and maybe add one 10 inch sub in a bass reflex enclosure. Nothing crazy by any means. I just want it to be loud enough to hear over the old outboard when driving down the lake. If I added the second battery would the engine maintain them enough to run the stereo at a good volume while underway?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-12-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
If its a stator delivering 15 or so amps then you can forget about it keeping up with an amplified audio system and recharging extra depleted batteries. Run one extra battery only, get a JL XD class D amplifier and get the most efficient subwoofer/enclosure that you can. Keep it conservative and see how that does. It won't do anything for you overnight, but get a solar panel and smart charging module. If you want something more substantial then it will take shore power to maintain a larger and isolated battery bank and/or a generator.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-12-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
I want to keep it as simple as possible. Just enough to be able to here the radio over the loud outboard. I am planning on using the polk sub out of the nauti. David I was going to ask you about where to find the best design for a bass reflex enclosure for that sub. The Solar battery maintainer is a great idea.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-13-2011, 6:43 AM Reply   
Dave,
We have a finished bass-reflex design for the Polk 10-inch MOMO woofer that is a home run in what we call a 'long' and 'short' which is the identical alignment in two different shaped enclosures.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-13-2011, 9:13 AM Reply   
David,
Can you post the link to the two on your site. I may have to build my own for the space I am going to put it in on the pontoon, but I have no idea how to tune the port for that particular speaker.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-13-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
Models are TW10P and TW10PL (long).