Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (zach2orjack)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-29-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever had skin cancer removed from your face? I had basil cell cancer removed a couple weeks ago. I won't be able to ride for at least two more weeks if not four but I want some advice on what to do. I have all kinds of sunblock up to 100 SPF but I also need to either cover a part of my face under my right eye or something to keep the sun from hitting it. If it tans it will stay tanned forever and I don't want that to happen.

Has anybody ever dealt with something similar? I could skip this season and be fine but I don't think I can stand doing it. I could use bandages but I would have to change it after every set but so far is my most likely possibility. Does anyone wear a cap/hat while riding? I've seen Greenwood wearing one backwards but I need to wear it forwards. Any input is appreciated.
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-29-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about the Skin C. WOW, I see your only 32! My dad also had basil carcenoma, he used zinc oxide to keep the sun out. If can't wait 2 weeks, you could use Zinc oxide with something like Liquid Bandage to seal the area to keep the water out and use the zinc to block the sun. Remember, its only an idea I would still check with a medical professional. Get well!
Old     (kevin_middleton)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-29-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
Unfortunately I have had more than 20 surgically removed.
Bad News
At your age you will probably have many many more.
Good News
I am surprised your physician did not have you use a drug called Aldara. It’s a cream that gets rid of the BC without surgery in most cases.
As for your current situation waterproof suntan lotion will do the trick.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       04-29-2009, 8:28 PM Reply   
Well I have been luck so far on the Basil cell but not so lucky with the Melanoma. A few years ago I had a 7mm by 6mm section of skin removed from my left shoulder. Lucky thing was that I caught it in time and they were able to remove it without further treatments. I was off the water for 4 weeks but then it was business as usual. As far as Sunscreen stick with the SPF 30 as you will not see any additional protection with a higher SPF. You are going to want to be religious about reapplying after riding and make sure you have products with zinc oxide.
Really you don't need to freak out, I would keep the sun block on and enjoy your summer. Cover up if you feel better doing it but reality wise I would make sure you don't burn and keep from long extended days of sun exposure.

As for waiting to ride don't get to worked up, a few weeks and you should be good to go. It is just to make sure you don't provoke an infection in the area before it is able to heal.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-30-2009, 3:09 AM Reply   
Use the eye black ( like the athletes ) to make yourself look like tough wakeboarder

Don't take this personal kids - but:
Basil is a plant used in Pesto.
Basal Cell is a layer if skin.
I don't think anyone here is looking like the Incredible Hulk on the water.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-30-2009, 6:00 AM Reply   
I've got a few scars from a car accident a few years back, I just wear a good amount of sunscreen and reapply when I can if i'm out there quite a while, and wear a hat when I'm in the boat. It's been two summers of heavy boarding since then, and there isn't any darkening at all. Good luck!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-30-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
My wife just had her second piece removed last week. Firt was surgery, second was chemical.

It depends on the depth and size of the cancel. Sometimes surgery is the best way to make sure they get all of it out.
Old     (zach2orjack)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-30-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
Rich, I turned 33 on the 23rd and my doctor said it was rare for someone my age to have it. I'm going to a good dermatologist in a few weeks to make sure I don't have any more.

Kevin, mine was deep into my face. My doctor was already doing sinus and septum surgery so he decided to cut it out luckily.

Phantom, thanks for the correction

My problem is that I have a huge piece of skin that was basically reconstructed from tissue under my skin. He did a Z flap, I think is what he called it. I go back in two weeks and I'm going to talk to him about going out in the sun. Right now I'm staying out of it completely but I can't do this for long. I ride dirt bikes, wakeboard and I'm an instructor for Sportbike Track Time where I do at least 1 track day weekend a month if not two or three. I sweat a lot riding. I think I'll be alright as long as I wear a helmet.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-30-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
How about this?

Upload
Is it enough to cover the area under the eye?
http://www.amazon.com/JOKER-CLOWN-NEOPRENE-MUZZLE-MOTORCYCLE/dp/B001CTHRIQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1241131731&sr=8-3

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-30-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
Zinc