Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BigCountry)      Join Date: Nov 2010       12-01-2010, 9:37 PM Reply   
I was just needing to know what board felt more loose on the water and had a better edge, between the Hyperlite Murray and the Byerly Assault. I Appreciate the feedback.
Old     (wonderbous)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-02-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
I haven't ridden the Murray, but I have handled it quite a bit and have a friend that has one. However, I have ridden the Assault. From my experience, the assault felt a little "stickier" on the water due to the length of the molded in fins. The Murray comes with bolt on fins that are significantly shorter than the molded in fins of the assault, so I would expect it to be "looser" than the assault.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-02-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
I ride a 2010 Murray 142. I actually run the 1.0 P-Wings instead of the .8's. I primarily ride in saltwater so the board rides a bit higher and looser so I put the next size up on the board. I personally think the Murray is amazing. It has helped my riding out a ton! Especially the spins. I would say it's a medium on the looseness scale in the overall scheme of things. My slingshot is very loose and my Trip and Motive are locked down (with removable fins in). The Murray is pretty fast, light and has a ton of pop. I love it and would recommend it highly!

Obviously you should try to demo both if you can but I would say you can't go wrong on the Murray!
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-03-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
Big - although i havent ridden the current/new murray shape (i did ride the 08/09 and really liked it), i can tell you that if you've ridden any of murrays past shapes, or any boards shaped by greg nelson, that you will like this board. its got slightly rolled/rounded edges in the middle of the deck, so is initiates a turn very smoothly. and its faster than the old shape both gliding speed and on edge. Comparing it to the assault, which i have ridden, id say the assault is a tad slower (from a slightly more abrupt rocker), and definitely grippier due to the long molded fins. The nice thing about the murray is that if you want to have more/less grip to the board, you can swap out the fins. I would like to add that if you plan on hitting sliders with this board, the durability of the assault (solid Glass roped edge and ABS fins) is for sure the way to go. if this is strictly a boat board, then id say the adjustable edge hold of the murray (via different size or shape of fins) sounds like the ticket for you. however they are both really fun boards guaranteed to boost your level of fun out on the water. hope this helps.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-05-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
If you like grilled cheese sandiches, then you will like this board. Who doesn't like grilled cheese sandiches?! And yes, sandiches, not sandwiches.
Old     (BigCountry)      Join Date: Nov 2010       12-16-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
Tom, Thanks for the Info, It will be a behind the boat board,i never was good on the rails.
Old     (BigCountry)      Join Date: Nov 2010       12-16-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
Tom, It will be a strictly a behind the boat board, so sounds like the murray is the way to go . Thanks for the info
Old     (BigCountry)      Join Date: Nov 2010       12-16-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
Shaun, Grilled cheese is the best sandiches hands down lol. Im having trouble deciding between the nova core and bio core. Is the difference between the two cores besides the weight?
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-16-2010, 7:08 PM Reply   
Big,

as far as differences between biolite and nova cores, my rep told me this: obviously the nova will be lighter, but also rebound to its original rocker line off the wake much faster and more aggressively than the bio. this means a stiffer pop off the wake. needless to say you get the infinite adjustable stance options. but an added benefit of the 13" aluminum tracks is that its actually double bound into the fiberglass and creates a break strength of 2400 psi, which is over twice the industry avg. of 1000 psi (the bio 3 core's break strength is 1200 psi)

these benefits are subtle but are definitely noticeable. one hell of a ride. hope this helps
Old     (BigCountry)      Join Date: Nov 2010       12-17-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
Tom, Helps out a lot, sounds like i will be going to the nova core, its a little more,but if its stronger and lighter i'm all about it. I never knew the breaking strength could be that much on a board. Awsome I appreciate the info.