Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-09-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
i am currently in the market for a used wakeboarding boat. i'm lookin to spend no more than 25k. right now i am between two boats. first a 99 prostar 205v going for 19k. no tower no ballast w/ 170 hours. the other is an 02 malibu vlx w/ wedge and tower for 23k but has 600 hours. whats your opinions?
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-09-2006, 7:59 PM Reply   
VLX hands down!!! Obviously I have some bias, but 600 hours isn't that many in the grand scheme of things (our boat has nearly that many) although its alittle up there for an 02. The vlx (up to 2004) was malibu's flagship wakeboat and it is now their vride. It throws a killer wake with the wedge and ballast. It also can kick up a very nice surf wake.

If the VLX is in good condition and the compression check (you need to get one) turns out good then I would take it in a heart beat, cause at that price it won't last long (assuming its in good shape)
Old     (mujibur)      Join Date: May 2002       10-09-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
Tough one - the 205V is a great hull (X -star) - you can put in a ballast and add a tower for about 4.5K with racks and speakers if you are up for a winter project and are handy i would say go for this one if it looks to be babied and well maintained.

600 hours is nothing if the boat has been maintained. The engines will last way past the 600 hour mark. If the starter, alternator and other electrical work and you don't want a winter project - and all else is equal i would get the Malibu...

Tough call - maybe you can see if either will move on the price and that will make the decision easier.
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-09-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
Tough call. Both are good deals and are great wake boats. I went through a similar comparison and ended up with an X-1 (same hull as the 205V), just because I liked the wake better. By going with the MC I sacrificed storage space, though . . . However, I have zero regrets and am lovin' the X-1. Good luck with your decision.
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-09-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
Derek,
First off which ever boat you choose I'm sure you will be happy with.

It is a tough decision and if I were you I would have to base it on the condition of the boat and how well it's been taken care of. 600 hours is not a big deal as long as it's been taken care of. Same thing with the 205 being 3 years older if it's well taken care of it shouldn't matter.

The only other advice I could give you is if you can get one of them to drop the price. It is a buyers market right now and some people really don't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell again in the spring.

The boats are both great wake boats the VLX wake is rampy and the 205v wake is a little steeper relative to the VLX. Either way goodluck and post some pics of your decision.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-10-2006, 5:07 AM Reply   
Yeah, tough call. Those are two great boats at good prices from the sound of it. The VLX will feel a little roomier, the 205V will have a little more vert to the wake. Test drive both & go with your gut.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       10-10-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
Where did you find two great deals (steals) at the same time? The VLX is about 10K under market; the MC is 4 or 5K under, and only has two seasons worth of hours on a 7 year old boat.

Have you seen these boats, or are they on the internet? Big difference. Sorry for my skepticism but I have been in the market myself. If they are legit, buy them both and keep the one you like. Sell the other one in the spring.
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-10-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
thanks for all your help everyone.

Rich G,

i have been searching a lot. one i found online, the other a local marina...maybe the deals are good right now for me because i live in Rhode Island and winter is right around the corner...i haven't really checked them out so maybe they are two peices of crap???? but i hope not
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-10-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
i made a mistake...the malibu is a lsv....does that change anything??