Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-17-2007, 4:44 PM Reply   
ok so it's barely spring and it's still cold and rainy here and gas is now over $3 for regular at the cheap places! it's more than it ever was last summer! and it's up like $.70 in less than 2 months. do you think we will see a decrease at all or will it hit $4 this summer! honestly if it gets much higher im selling the boat cause i won't be able to afford the gas bill :-(
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-17-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
fewer people on the lake... I'll pay for that.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-17-2007, 5:03 PM Reply   
Exactly froese. Although, it never seems to affect people in Texas, unfortunately.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-17-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
I remember reading an article on MSN a few months back predicting that it wouldn't break $3 this summer. Oh how wrong they were. In the end though I don't worry about it much, my pockets aren't bottomless by any means but an extra $10-$20 a tank in my truck isn't going to kill me either.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-17-2007, 5:46 PM Reply   
'fewer people on the lake'

I only wish, unfortunately it doesn't affect those people who only take their boat out once a week. But they still manage to power turn 53 times in that one outing.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-18-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
Most people probably don't use as much gas as those on this list. Pontooners don't...a lot of I/Os are little v6's or 4's. Additionally none of them weight their boats down. I bet more than anyone it is the fishermen thinking that gas prices will mean less wakeboats on the lakes.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-18-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
leo - F-ing power turners....and it doesn't even seem to matter if they have a nice boat or not these days....uggghhhhh...

almost as bad...those same wally-azz punks will pull up in front of you every time...
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-18-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
Fewer people? I wish...
I've noticed my driving is more fuel conservative now. Stay out of the secondaries, no hard turns, shut down when possible... but mileage has always been a game to me anyway. Honestly, I would bet (no pun intended since betting is basically the reason gas is so high) $3 is a fact of life now.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-18-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   

quote:

$3 is a fact of life

ABSOLUTELY!
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-18-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
it will be going down here shortly, for how long and how low that is a whole other question...

I say by the end of the month you will start seeing signifigant drops...

Got to be optimistic right?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-18-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
Sorry guys I can almost guarantee you gas will not be going down this summer, it never has.
Old     (jasa_rhone)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-18-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
There is a recent article on CNN Money that says prices will peak in May of this year, and then should drop back down to a reasonable rate (probably $2.80). I can handle that....

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/10/news/economy/eia_fuels/index.htm?postversion=2007041112
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-18-2007, 8:02 PM Reply   
"Although crude prices are expected to fall by about 6 percent, refinery bottlenecks are expected to keep gasoline prices from falling more than about 1 percent, Lidderdale said."

OPEN MORE REFINERIES!!!

I also found it interesting how much gas was in 1980. I never knew it peaked that high.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-18-2007, 8:26 PM Reply   
That price of $3.15 in the article was adjusted for inflation. It was probably only $1.50 to 2.00 tops in 1980.
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-19-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
But with inflation it would be comparable to 3.15 easier for some t comprehend...
Old     (jasa_rhone)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-19-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
The problem with refineries: If the oil companies let more refineries open up, then what happens.... More supply. When there is more supply of something, then prices go down, which then equals less money for the oil companies. They've got us trapped. If only we could use corn to make fuel

Its a mess, and with china and india becoming bigger players in the market, we are likely to only see prices going up from year to year.
Old     (trump)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-19-2007, 9:50 PM Reply   
The new daylight savings hours haven't helped out either. With additional daylight people have more daylight to do things and when people do things it usually involves driving. So it turns out gas consumption it up. My guess is Gas prices are not coming down in the forseeable future.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       04-20-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
Lake Don Pedro ( California) $4.35/gallon at the marina, expected to be $5.25/gallon by mid-june.
Old     (deltamud)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-20-2007, 7:14 AM Reply   
Hope this isn't hi jack, gas will not come down, but the demand for boats will, or has it?
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-20-2007, 7:32 AM Reply   
It will come down as soon as Bush is out of office. He's making the big jack being a Texas oilman.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-20-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
ok so can some one tell me what the point of moving daylight savings earlier was? i heard it was to conserve energy and stuff? didn't it just make things cost more?

gas will go down when bush wants his approval rating to go up, but since hes out in a year it doesn't really matter :-(
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-20-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
I'm wit Eric and entrust - I don't see how moving daylight savings was any benefit at all. The down side to having a president like Bush is once he was voted in for a second term why would he want to please anybody? Wasn't going to lose his job right?
Also, gas isn't a supply and demand item, you can bet your bottom dollar if the supply doubles and demand remains the same the price wont drop in half!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-20-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
I spent $250 filling the truck and boat yesterday. Since the pumps cut you off at $75 (what the hell purpose does that serve), I had to put my credit card in four times. My credit card company called soon thereafter to confirm that they were legitimate charges. Looks like we're heading to $4 since I've seen $3.60 here in San Diego.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-20-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
Same thing happens at a lot of stations here Dave, only it cuts you off at $50. It's the f'in gas stations that do that. When you put in your card, it should send a transaction for 1 cent to make sure it's a valid account. If it is, you get gas. The gas stations programming sends it in for $50.01 or $75.01 in your case. Once you hit the $50 or $75, it shuts off. You can put the card back in like you said, but it's a pain in the butt. I go in and tell the cashier if they can tell the manager to put in a request to corporate to have that changed due to the price per gallon and the idiots want to argue that it's our bank that does that. Not sure why I wasted my time explaining that to the convenience store clerk, but what the hell, worth a shot, eh.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-20-2007, 3:03 PM Reply   
"It will come down as soon as Bush is out of office. He's making the big jack being a Texas oilman."

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-20-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
entrust.. GW did the daylight savings thing early for energy to get people to use less energy when they get home. basically not turning lights and stuff on cause it is still light. from what i heard there was not a measurable difference because people still had to get up at the same time and it was darker and colder so people still used heat and lights in the AM before work. pretty creative, but I heard it did not really work......
so entrust, back to the original post.... why you fretting about gas and getting that big ass tattoo on your chest... that could not have been cheap.... could have paid for gas for the summer..... priorities......... missed you on the water today.....
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-21-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
I f'ing hate the gas companies!!! Its all a scam. I used to work at a refinery, and we got premium gas for personal use at about .70 less than at the pumps, and they were still making a profit from the employees. Gas here in Bakersfield is $3.40 and rising, and what gets me is that if you've ever driven through here, we are in the middle of an oil field, yet we have some of the highest gas prices in the country. F'ing scam!!

All the oil companies have to do is produce more gas, and store it for reserves. However, they won't do that because if we had "enough" already, then they wouldn't be able to use the excuse that demand is up; plus they wouldn't make enough money.

And so good bye to alternative fuels! Do you really think that the oil giants will allow hydrogen powered vehicles to become mainstream? Or any other type of fuel. Less oil use=less profits.

On the other side, my wife works for the biggest oil producer in CA, and gets paid very nicely. Just my opinion.
Old     (trump)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-25-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
I think it was about two years ago when the pumps would shut down at $50. Everytime my Suburban got down to a quarter of a tank I would fill it up. Now a days I used my wife's old Accord for commuting and put just enough gas in the Suburban to get me to the lake and back. Since the Suburban has a 42 gallon capacity I never fill it up anymore.

This is outrageous and it's not going to get better since there has not been a new refinery built in California in three decades.
Old     (trump)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-25-2007, 9:17 PM Reply   
I think it was about two years ago when the pumps would shut down at $50. Everytime my Suburban got down to a quarter of a tank I would fill it up. Now a days I used my wife's old Accord for commuting and put just enough gas in the Suburban to get me to the lake and back. Since the Suburban has a 42 gallon capacity I never fill it up anymore.

This is outrageous and it's not going to get better since there has not been a new refinery built in California in three decades.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-25-2007, 9:56 PM Reply   
i think i will swap my boat to electric...... batteries are really heavy
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-26-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
"ok so can some one tell me what the point of moving daylight savings earlier was?"

What's this daylight savings thing you guys speak of? Move to Arizona and you dont have to worry about it, we don't have it at all. ;)

"i think i will swap my boat to electric...... batteries are really heavy" <---- very funny
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-26-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
new record in oregon here today! average price for regular is $3.16!!! and ive seen a few places for $3.29! these are crack prices!!

ill be taking the boat out still, just don't how much riding i will be able to do :-(

in 1999 i could get a gallon of regular for $.78!! there is no way cost has gone from $.78 to $3! thank god my motorcycle gets 50mpg!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-26-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
have you seen the powerpoint on the summer price of $4.19, that says do not buy from Exxon and Shell all summer. Which will create a price war, and lower prices?

it may work.

dont buy from Shell or Exxon.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-26-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
^^^^^^
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-26-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
Cause that has worked in the past right?
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-26-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
Maybe these gas prices with push the need for Diesel Powered Boats that are running on Alternative fuels like corn oil.

I have be thinking about buying a Diesel Truck and switching it to a Grease Burner.

Costco is selling Corn oil at $1.50 per gallon.

Has anyone else converted their Truck?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-26-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
Or you can just do like I do, don't even bother to look, because it really doesn't matter. Are you not going to drive your boat because gas is 4-5 a gallon? We're lucky we're not euros, they've been payin $8 for years.

Kids could you use water in your cereal this week, we want to go wakeboarding this weekend dont we?
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-26-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
People need to stop using the example of "Look how much they pay in Europe!" Its not the same. Their prices are much higher in part, because of their tax system.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-26-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
Yet, the example of europeans willingness to pay is still applicable fir slipknot's statement.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-26-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
I was stationed in England for 2 years and their gas was always high. It never came down and the English are some bike riding mofo's. I read that there is no shortage of oil there because Buchingham Palace sits on the largest oil reserve in England. Not sure if that happened by accident or even if it's true.
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-26-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
Gas prices hurt for daily driving to work everyday, but boating, c'mon. Its a luxury recreation activity. Do you worry about $8 beers in vegas on vacation when you can buy them for $1 at the grocery store?
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-26-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
Shane, I do because I live here and $8 beers are ridiculous. I did find a bar that has $1.50 St. Pauli's though.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-26-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
shane not all of us can have a work gas card :-(

i don't complain about $8 beers in vegas in vegas cause i don't drink but i do complain about a $5 7up and cranberry that is maybe 3oz of liquid :-)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-26-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
I drive for work from my bedroom to my couch.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-27-2007, 5:00 AM Reply   
"I read that there is no shortage of oil there because Buchingham Palace sits on the largest oil reserve in England"

You'll be the same type of person who usually asks us Brits if we have ever met the Queen and believes us when we say, yes we go round every week for tea!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-27-2007, 5:06 AM Reply   
And you'd be the type of person to take part of a quote thinking you're making a point. Why would I think you've met the Queen? I've never met the President. After your comment, I don't think I'd believe anything you have to say.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-27-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
The key is to boycott the gas stations . Not for gas but everything else. If every lotto junkie and chain smoker could buy stuff at the grocery store or walgreens (wich is on every corner anyway) the gas companies would loose billions of dollars. They might get the point and stop anal raping the U.S. consumer. Gas is more per barrel that is true, however when crude goes up on the world market the top level guys call every habib in the country and tell them to run outside with that pole and jack up the price. When crude comes down they say lets wait a few weeks to see if it stays.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-27-2007, 8:30 AM Reply   
It's a fricken conspiracy!! Why do you think the Left Coast has the highest prices in the nation?
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-27-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
Exxon Mobil Profits, Consumer Gas Prices Near Record Highs.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/07/exxon_profits.html

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (dav51lin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-28-2007, 1:41 AM Reply   
betting boating and traveling will be way down if prices approach $4 a gallon,a lot of boats will sit.,suvs for sale if it stays that high for longer than summer, i think it will be close to $4 this summer if not higher and they will raise them as high as they can.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-28-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
I don't think it will go much over 3 dollars on average. The gas companies know what the economy can stomach, and 3 dollars slows it way down, so I don't think they'll go much over that.
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-28-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
uhmmm it is already at 3.40...
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-28-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
Thank God, Diesel is still under 3.00 around here.
Old     (abhoe157)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-28-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
at the marina we fill up at its 3 25.. Thank god Exxon has a station 5 miles down the road at 2.60 a gallon for regular and 2.80 or something for supreme
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-28-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
I was talking as an average. It can still be bought for 2.73 in the east.
Old     (omega_supreme)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-28-2007, 10:23 PM Reply   
I think that gas makers know that gas is on the way out in favor of more nature friendly fuels,, They want to make as much money as possible right now. I think it will still be another ten years before we start using better fuels such as ethonal. Even though its been around for decades.
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-28-2007, 11:24 PM Reply   
The reason the gas prices are so high right now is because a lot of the oil companies had to update their refineries which in turn caused less production in gas which then in turn raised the gas prices. The prices should come down soon. How knows for how long though.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-29-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
Here is something that was e-mailed to me. Something to consider.

GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came
from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It's
worthy of
your consideration.
Join the resistance! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon
by summer and it might possibly go higher! Want gasoline prices to
come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip
Hollsworth offered this good idea.
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day"
campaign that was going around earlier! The oil companies just
laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt"
ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to
us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can
really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably
thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It
is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil
companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the
cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take
aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up
more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are
going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the
pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT
hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just
stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act
together to force a price war.
Here's the idea:

For the rest of 2007, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest
companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not
selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they
reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.
But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and
Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this
point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions
of people. I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us sends
it to at least ten more (30 x 10 =3D 300) ... and those 300 send it
to at least ten more (300 x 10 =3D 3,000)...and so on, by the time
the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached
over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and
pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have
been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....
THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again, all you have to do is send
this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can
reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10
people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a
mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to
ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people
could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!
I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you?

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you,
please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from
EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP
THEM DOWN.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-29-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
^^^ Problem with the logic here.

Exxon will sell their gas. By not buying at an Exxon station, you only hurt the gas station operator. Much of the gas you buy at other stations is refined by Exxon, so this won't have much overall effect.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-29-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
"I read that there is no shortage of oil there because Buchingham Palace sits on the largest oil reserve in England"
I guess we know where to get more oil, LOL. Time to invade england hahaha
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-29-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
even if it hurts the gas station owner who do you think has more pull with the gas companies. the gas companies will keep prices just below the point where the consumer will take action. long term high gas is a good thing it will force idiots that drive things like escalades by themselves (without a tow hitch) to rethink usage