Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-30-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
Ski Centurion has special Nascar edition boats available this year, I am a big fan of Nascar and was wondering if anyone would purchase one of these specialty boats.Like what if you purchased a Jeremy Mayfield boat and he left mid year or you bought a Elliot Sadler M&M car and he is now driving the 19 car?Did anyone ever think about that? They look cool, but are they practical?

(Message edited by supra on September 30, 2006)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-30-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
Well, I know that if it is anything like street race cars, stickers add about 10hp to the engine.

But seriously, good luck trying to sell a boat that has a million nascar stickers on it. I dont know many Nascar fans, and the ones I do know don't wakeboard.

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on September 30, 2006)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-30-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
They're cool but not for me, leo might have a point on resale.

I've seen a post of a solid red Avy with a black victory highlight, I think the boat is in Canada. That's one of the best looking boats I've seen, I'm partial to red.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-30-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
"practical" Of course not! But thats not the point...its NASCAR

The boats are for the avid Nascar fan. If you bought any other NASCAR branded product and the driver changed teams or cars or sponsors or.....you will have a colletors item then you would have to buy another boat with the new logos

(Message edited by krbaugh on September 30, 2006)
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
Leo - That is the idea of being licensed by NASCAR...to get even more people in the sport. I do not know if you have ever attended a race but you might be surprised at the kind of people you see there. Not just a bunch of reds anymore.

Kevin - Your profile says that you are in boat sales. Do you sell Supra? After visiting the web site it looks as if you do. Are you really interested in buying one or just trying to get something stirred up?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-30-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
If these boats were practical they'd be designed to haul coal up and down the Mississippi river, or tug shipping vessels to harbor.

Kevin a Supra guy, uhmm I don't think so.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-30-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
Ohhh... I meant Kevin Baugh.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-30-2006, 2:54 PM Reply   
Not so much me as
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-30-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
Not trying to stir anything up, if nothing else I am bringing attention to Ski Centurion, yes I sell Supras and we have a limited edition in ways of the Gravity Games edition. It was more of a question reguarding buying such an expensive item, not like a hat,that might change at anytime... I thought it was a good topic.Kevin R Baugh, are they selling alot of these and what drivers are you able to get?
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-30-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
Would never buy one, you'd be seriously limiting the pool to sell to on the resale side.

I would say the vast majority of wakeboarders wouldn't consider buying that boat when it comes time sell...

That's beside the fact that I wouldn't buy a Centurion...
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-30-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
I am not a salesman nor do I play one on TV but the last I heard Centurion was still working with NASCAR on the details. What I was told was you would be able to pick from most if not all the drivers.

(Message edited by krbaugh on September 30, 2006)
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-30-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
Sorry Kevin, I had always assumed you were, you are a great represenative for Ski Centurion. I hope they pay you for your services. If not they should!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-30-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
I have a couple of close friends that work for Centurion and I have done some software work for Centurion and My local dealer. I also try to help promote Centurions for my local dealer....and I have an 05 Cyclone.
Old     (calcio)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
Are we talking about Nascar Wakeboard boats or is Centurion coming out with a Bass boat
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-30-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
Hmm how do you answer that kind of question???

Like this I guess
Upload
Upload
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-30-2006, 4:35 PM Reply   
Team CBK- Yea, because reds can't afford the tickets.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
No doubt. I don't know how anyone affords them anymore.
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-30-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
Race fan or not! the Budweiser boat look's bad a$$.
Old     (c4avalanchen)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2006, 10:53 PM Reply   
Kevin B, are the decals, numbers, and sponsers gel-coated or are they stickers? I would think stickers would be more idealistic.
Would any of you guys buy an NFL or MLB logoed boat? I can see these being more practical.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-01-2006, 12:16 AM Reply   
Show me a picture of the number 16 boat and I'll think about it.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2006, 6:59 AM Reply   
Rodney - They are all stickers.

DTW - I am sure that you will see it before you know it.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-01-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
"I can see these being more practical."
Your kidding right How would any of this be practical? IT comes down to I NEED THAT not that I want it. I NEED IT.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
Kevin - Who actually "needs" a boat? Boats are for recreation unless you operate your business using boats or live in a community where the roads are made from water ( I would like to live in a place like that). Owning a boat is wanting to not needing to, especially inboard boats, look around the lakes there are hardly any boats that look the same. They all have personalized touches to them that make them unique.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-01-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
of course no one needs a boat or a NASCAR drivers boat or a brand or a model but when your wants and desires get so BIG that you NEED a boat .... now that’s what I talkin about
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
I see....I see. I think I misunderstood your previous post.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-01-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
They ripped off that idea from the boardweiser MB boat....which was a much nicer job by the way.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-01-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
I figure this post was coming

So this

Upload

Is nicer than This?

Upload

I think they both look very good!

Ripped off the idea??? I guess only Centurion knows for sure but who really cares!

(Message edited by krbaugh on October 01, 2006)
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
I doubt the whole licensing thing was ripped. I think it was a very smart move on Rick Lee's part. We are really pumped about the whole thing. Our shop is a whole twenty minutes away from the Bristol Motor Speedway. We actually had the Tony Stewart boat for about a week after Surf Expo and people were literally breaking their necks to see it when we towed it around Bristol,Kingsport and Johnson City.
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-01-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
I agree with J-Rod, Boardwiser is much nicer.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-01-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
The MB boat was a great job but was not licensed! Centurion (Rick Lee) got the licensing done with Nascar like anything NASCAR it was not cheap.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-01-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
"I agree with J-Rod, Boardwiser is much nicer."

Ok I don't see that at all! So enlighten the rest of us what do see on the MB boat that is "Much nicer" They both look like the number 8 Car to me
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-01-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
Here's the deal.....hard core Nascar fans will buy simply on the basis of licensing and advertising. If it is on their favorite driver's car, they'll buy it. If it has their favorite driver's colors/number on it, they'll buy it. This is the grassroots support that has built Nascar into what it is today.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       10-01-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
its all about the rims and tires on the "boardwiser".. classic look.. both are awesome looking boats though
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-01-2006, 11:13 AM Reply   
Agree with J-Rod, Shawn & Sean (nascar style tire/wheels). Ripped off Hyperryde's original idea.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-01-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
I guess this is one reason the NASCAR boat would not be for me the wheels and tries are about the thousandth thing I would look at. Then it would say it has wheels and tires thats a good thing! but if you are a NASCAR fan I could see you might look at wheels and tires.

The boats that you are looking at where proto types I have not seen the final product.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-02-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
Spent all weekend at Kansas Speedway this last weekend, and if you get the #20 Tony Stewart go for the bigger fuel cell. He ran out on the last lap, but still picked up the win!!!
Old    hyperryd            10-03-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
Just to let everybody know. The Boardweiser boat was the most fun thing I have ever owned. I can't even begin to tell you how many people went ape-sh*t when we came around with it. On the other side of the coin, when it came time for resale it stalled badly with the wakeboard crowd. I stripped the stickers off and went back to a solid red boat and sold it in less than a week. Go figure. Thanks to everybody who appreciated the theme even though it was't hardcore wakeboarder style. I never have been one to follow or fit in.
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-06-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
Hi John,

Good to hear from you on here. Hope all is well at home. The boys and I still talk about meeting you and all the fun at the 1st Spring Ride.

Clete
Old    walt            10-06-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
I got to see the original Boardweiser boat too and was amazed at the job John did on his boat. The stereo was off the hook too !

I guess You know You did something special when a major boat manufacturer copy's Your idea.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-06-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
My opinion and I like Nascar but why would you want a boat with some brand name and # splattered all over a boat?? What does nascar have to do with boating?? Nothing. What about resale?? I think it is a pretty stupid idea and I think they will flop.... I think this company should rely on quality,development, etc to sale boats and not gimmicks. MY 2 cents.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-07-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
MAC - No gimmicks...It's called diversifying. Why not go after a new untouched market.

Living in Bristol. I am swamped with 200,000 race fans twice each year and let me tell you that the "crowd" is not the same as it use to be. It's not the cut off shorts and tank top crowd. I see more and more people riding around in very nice vehicles, young guys and girls that appear to be "hip".

As a dealer I couldn't be more excited about this opportunity. The idea isn't to sell the NASCAR edition boats....those are the attention getters that will bring fans over to the booth and look at other models. Not such a bad idea after all. The marketing department at Fineline has hit the nail on the head with this one.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-07-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
MAC - You ask "What does nascar have to do with boating?" Well just in NASCAR there are 2 drivers in the top 10 (that I personally know of) that are into boating and wakeboarding, Kasey Kahne who is under a FSP (factory support program) or sponsorship deal with SUPRA boats, and Jimmy Johnson rides when ever he cans. I've worked in the motorsports industry for over 14yrs and you would be surprised how many times I've seen racing and boating cross over. Boating is more about getting away from everything and having good times with friends and family. Knowing drivers, this is something they can get away and do with family that gets them physically and mentally away from "the job", and it's relaxing. The other is what Team CBK said, one manufactures way of reaching out to a new market. Not sure what issues, but there has been 3 or 4 articles in Alliance about wakeboarding at racing events in the infield lake, and about some teams, crews and drivers who ride.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-07-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
I see your point and I hope that they do sell lots of boats. I see the point in attracting nascar fans and you would draw lots of intrest at the track. I have been to the night race at Bristol and it is awsome. Best track to go to in my opinion.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-07-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
MAC - If you come back to BRISTOL hit us up and we will give you a pull. www.centurionofkingsport.com