Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       12-06-2010, 6:02 AM Reply   
Looking to go to a camp in late FEB. Ideally we would like to go to FL since we can get flights for ~$150 round trip. Were looking for like the 23rd- the 25th wed/thurs/fri.

We were looking at the wakeboard camp but have heard the average age was around 12-20( buddy got the info not sure where?) and us being a bit older ~30ish we were concerned about that.

We are looking to maximize our water time for our money and the wakboard camp offers about 60 mins a day, not sure if they stick to that pretty tightly or if they just shred most the day.

Never been to a camp before so Im not 100% what to look for. We are trying to keep the trip under $1000 per person.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-06-2010, 6:20 AM Reply   
i'm 51 i went to the wakeboard camp in clermont fla. they have different packages. they have a great staff also. you do 3 30 minute sets a day they provide food and lodging.thewakeboardcamp.com
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-06-2010, 6:21 AM Reply   
The Boarding School. It just doesn't get any better!
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-06-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
Couldn't ask for better people to work with, or better instructors than what you get at Theboardingschool.com. Plus I think you now get some time at their rail park or on the cables if you want to check those out too. They do all ages, but focus more on your age group.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-06-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
I am an old guy 40 and went and spent a day with the guys at theboardingschool. Great guys from top to bottom and you can ride till your arms fall off. Rattray ,Murray and Travis treat you like an old friend. Very welcoming and fun. I would say you will have a blast with a bit of wakeboarding involved and lots of learning. I have not been to the new pad in fact we were the last group at the old place. Travis was packing stuff up while we were out with Rattray and Murray. No need to even bring any gear.
Old     (mikejones)      Join Date: Jun 2009       12-06-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
+1 for Kyle and the guys at the wakeboard camp. If you like to break tricks and fundamentals down in a very technical way, this is your place.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-06-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
You could check out Adam Fields too. He's in FL during that time of year and he runs a great camp. J
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-06-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
+1 for Adam Fields Wakeboard school. He is excellent at tailoring instruction from beginners to pros looking to win the next event. Really nice guy as well.
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-06-2010, 7:09 PM Reply   
dude, I'm 34, went to the Wakeboard camp last season (actually this season), had a blast, (and planning to go back early '11) but I went during the last week of Feb, and it was freezin' cold, and the way this winter's shapin' up already, I can tell ya; it's gonna be another frozen one as far as conditions go here in FLA, so bring a GOOD wetsuit, it'll be tough to trunk it, believe me. but who knows you might get lucky.

you get your room/board paid for in your stay, 3 (20-30min depending on how many other ppl are there w/ya, but 20 min's is standard time) pulls behind the boat Monday- Wednesday, Thurs. you get 2 pulls behind the boat in the morning, and then after lunch they head over to OWC for some cable time, unless you want to opt out and stay with your time on the boat, a coach will usually stay behind to give you a sesh behind the boat and some one on one stuff, but when we went to O-Dub our dinner afterwards was taken care of and we hit up Performance Thursday afternoon so that was cool too, saw Brandon Thomas and Harley Clifford pickin' up some gear there. and Friday you get 3 pulls from behind the boat again.

Every pull you get is 3 times daily (2 in the morning after breakfast, and the last after lunch (depending on what the weather does, it can get sketchy here in Florida sometimes), and some of the coaches might get in on the action too and put on a good show for everyone in the boat. which is a plus) 'cept Thursday when they hit O-dub; again unless you opt out of it.

first day (monday) you get Kyle comin' in to give you some stuff to think about if your new to the camp and new to riding in general, and then on the first ride he checks you out on how you ride to see if you've got any bad habits that need correcting, and then works up from there. all the coaches are great: Chad, Kyle, Bob Sichel, Billy Parks(those guys were there when I went, most everyone else was away either for a contest or visiting family) oh yeah and can't forget Brandon Judd he'd just moved there and started with 'em (oops sorry Brandon didn't mean to almost forget ya man), and all the coaches have a unique teaching style ('specially Kyle) and push your riding further than you might not expect. plus they're really awesome in the boat and some random crazyiness is almost always goin' down @ one time or another.

overall it was a great experience except for the weather (rained a few times, but hey this' Florida after all ) and the cold, but awesome none the less, planning to go back first week of March in 2011 but we'll see. A big plus was when Danny Harf, and Kevin Henshaw showed up to shoot some film on a project that Bob (Sichel) was workin' on that I helped him finish building, it was some kinda double box thing (the vid's up on Vimeo somewhere),didn't get to see Danny (think he left just before we got back to shore from our sesh) but Kevin was there so I spoke w/him for a lil bit, I heard Parks showed up for a few minutes too and spoke w/Danny, but wasn't able to stick 'round very long either.

myself, though, I Haven't tried The Projects, but heard good things 'bout 'em, or the Boarding School (Shaun's school), I've heard great things about them, (lookin' forward to tryin' some time w/them) but they've relocated earlier this year out to the same lakes that the projects are on, definitely about havin' fun there, so I wanna polish my skills more with TWC and then try TBS w/Shaun, Travis, Kyle Rat, and Josh Palma, I think Keith Lyman pops in from time to time too.

So yeah, go for it man, don't worry 'bout the age thing, it's just bs, that's just the average ages they have for the students that usually show up to the camps, I think this one guy that's a regular when he's in town was like 38 and he rode out there, throwing some sick hammers for his riding level.

do it! you're riding will improve, guaranteed!

Last edited by quik876; 12-06-2010 at 7:16 PM. Reason: spelling, adding more text
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       12-08-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
what do you do after the afternoon set? What usually happens after dinner? Do you need to bring your own gear to The Wakeboard camp, but not to The boarding school?

THANKS! for the response so far guys.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-09-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
Been to both, no comparison, The Boarding School all the way!!!
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
By the end of the day you are physically beat! We would make some grub and hang out, watch a movie, video games, internet, etc. One night we headed into Orlando and went to Performance where we got a discount on anything in the store b/c we were attending The Boarding School. Don't worry, you wont be bored at night....you'll be exhausted!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-09-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
they give discounts at performance ski and surf for the wakeboard camp also. they have bars and restaurants within walking distance. they also have video games and dvd's to watch along with a pool table and trampoline to practice on. NO HATING HERE. i've heard the boarding school is great also.they both have websites.check them out.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-10-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Been to the Boarding School too and it was awesome. Travis takes great care of you and will buy any kind of food you want. We road hard for three days and had a blast. I have heard if you're a little older ( like me 44) then this is place is a little nicer. Going back in february I think.