Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-23-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
Before the season started in 2010, Rusty said he wanted to land a 12. You might think that adding an extra frontside 180 to his incredibly consistent 1080 wouldn't have taken a whole season to do. I didn't expect the whole season to go by without him sticking one. I heard he was close, but I didn't find any footage to support this.

IMO, Rusty is not spinning on the right axis for a 12, and that's why he can't get it. His 10 looks like the first 10 parks landed. Adam Errington and Danny Harf spin their 10's on a different axis, and I think that's why they can make to 12 rotation while Rusty can't.

Does any one agree that Rusty has to change the axis of his 10 before he can learn a 12?
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-23-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
Rusty probably understands more about spinning and the way his own body sets an axis more than anyone on here. Even if you got everyone to agree unanimously that he should "change the axis of his 10," I doubt that would change or add value to anything.

IMHO, I'd keep away from posting anything negative about how a professional athlete goes about doing his job.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-23-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
Add value? It is valuable for riders to observe and discuss whether one technique is better than another, in this case what axis to spin on. It's not a slam on Rusty. The 12 HAS only been landed once EVER, so it would only put him below Danny Harf if the comparison were about the athletes. The comparison I make is about technique. If I had to the time to copy sequences of 10's and blur out the faces, I would have posted them here to protect the athletes from anything that could sound "negative". Sheesh
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-23-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
how much video footage have you seen of him trying 1260's?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-23-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
I have actaully talked with rusty about his spinning, the man knows what he is talking about to say the least, he knows more about the physics of wakeboarding that anyone. Rusty and I share one major thing in common we are both over six feet tall and wakeboard. When your bigger in this sport you spins tend to look different than the little guys do. Really there is a lot more pulling hard on the handle and then almost falling out of the spin to get your momentum going.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-24-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
i've noticed something also about his 10's, he spins a 3 on the way up, everybody else does a 1 on the way up, changes axis then spins a 9 on the way down. rusty's 3's up, changes axis, then 7 down. may be the reason his 10's are on lock. i've never seen anybody else 3 on the way up.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-24-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
I have actaully talked with rusty about his spinning, the man knows what he is talking about to say the least, he knows more about the physics of wakeboarding that anyone. Rusty and I share one major thing in common we are both over six feet tall and wakeboard. When your bigger in this sport you spins tend to look different than the little guys do. Really there is a lot more pulling hard on the handle and then almost falling out of the spin to get your momentum going.
subtle "I'm tall and talk to Rusty" brag, imo
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-24-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
Hahahaha Def not bragging. I could start tho-
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-27-2010, 11:53 PM Reply   
GQ, I suspect you are new to all of this, but you should know it took the better part of a decade from the first few 1080s to go down until everybody but Parks and Mark got them figured out. The idea that Danny would put down a 12 and everybody else or Rusty is just going to pile on and lock that **** up is absurd. c'mon man. And it wasn't like the only 12 we've all ever seen was perfect anyways. Legit, but not perfect. I think you are trolling anyways so I guess I just got trolled.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       11-29-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
HAHAH as if he said andy was bragging.. Im pretty Sure andy is the nicest dude on here!!! Always Helping a brother or sister out... you clearly need to get you fact straight before you come on the internet and chirp! Ride on Andy....
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-29-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
It is just a basis for an academic discussion. It must be the off-season--lighten up guys.

Do you think Rusty's unusual axis of rotation is a barrier to him achieving his goal? Or is a 1260 just really hard--even harder than he thought?

I think it's the latter. I landed my first 720 in the fall of 2002 and thought I was going to land a 9 that week. Almost a decade later, I can spin 720s several different ways, but still no 900. That little frontside 180 across the body can be tough.
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-30-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
If you've watched Rusty over the years you will see that a few years ago, before he really blew up, he changed his axis. It looked like changing his axis helped him start hammering 9s. Either way, watch some old footage and you'll see what I'm talking about.

That said, I've gotta agree with Andy when he says Rusty understands the physics of wakeboarding better than anyone. At least it looks like it. I've never spoken to Rusty, but watching how he changed such a major part of his riding (his axis) certainly makes you think the guy knows what's up.

Back to the question: No, I don't think he needs to change his axis to make it. That said, if anyone could make that type of adjustment it would be Rusty.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-02-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
In the defense of Rusty and his Bonecrusher fanboys (you know who you are), I have seen him spin 9s on the same axis as Harf and Errington wherein they spin 180 up and 720 down. But every 10 Rusty landed on the internets (that I found) shows him spinning 360 up and 720 down. And in videos where he spins 180 up, he never gets the 10.

My theory is that a rider can develop more leverage from spinning 180 up instead of 360 up, because you can pull LONGER on the handle with TWO hands when you spin later.

This would explain why I can't find any footage of Rusty coming close to rotating a 12, even tho he has 10s on lock and spent the whole season trying land a 12. Don't get me wrong, the man is SICK!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-02-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
^Maybe it's just that a 1260 is a hard effing trick. Did that ever cross your mind? You are acting that there are all these riders with a 12 on lock, and that for some reason Rusty is the only one not spinning them. There has been ONE landed, ONE.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-02-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
Really wake77? "There has been ONE landed, ONE".

Hmmmm...That must be what I was trying to say twelve posts ago when I wrote "The 12 HAS only been landed once EVER". Jeepers.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-03-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
^Well, then why single out Rusty? You post on here as if you are the master of spinning and bash one guy that has yet to land one. And this sentence you posted:

"Errington and Danny Harf spin their 10's on a different axis, and I think that's why they can make to 12 rotation while Rusty can't. "

insinuates that AE has landed the 12.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-05-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
eremy (wake77)

DUDE ADAM ERRINGTON DOES NOT SPIN 12 HE JUST LANDED A 10 like a month ago
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-06-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
Dave. Do you see those little things around that sentence talking about AE and DH from my post? Those are called quotation marks. They are used when you are quoting what someone else (in this case GQ) has previously said.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-06-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
the irony. lol