Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-02-2005, 10:59 PM Reply   
I am closing in on going W2W but every time I charge the wake fast enough to be able to do it, seems like I get off balance and twist wrong and land on my back getting a whiplash. Then after a few of those I get scared and start wussing out and just do butter slides and stuff. Yeah I know....edge all the way through, funny thing is I have never seen anyone edge all the way through..just watch all the vis right at the end, everyone lets off their edge
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-02-2005, 11:36 PM Reply   
Edge all the way through, I try and edge through the air, stand tall on the wake, and have the rope at your waist
Old    clubjoeskier            09-03-2005, 6:38 AM Reply   
Daniel--Don't "charge" the wake...Line tension doesn't mean speed, or hard cutting.....I can get across ok, but still have to fight those habits
Old     (msasser)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-03-2005, 7:48 AM Reply   
seriously, get some one to film your, or take pics, if your spray continues until the top of the wake, your edging through. what helped me on this was i took a lesson, and the instructor rode with me behind the same boat, first thing he told me was edge through it, and he showed me. watching from the side made me see that once he started his cut, nothing in his body changed except him standing tall. he kept his body at the same angle, his cut didnt change, it really looked like he was edging through the air as well. but ill tell you, my next jump i cleard the wake, and havent done a 1 wake jump since. if you do this, where your body stays still, and you dont "jump" you just stand, you will keep your balance.
Old    allen00se            09-03-2005, 11:22 AM Reply   
youll soon find out that you really dont have to have alot of speed to clear the wake, its all about how you hit the wake, keep your body firm and try not to absorb the jump with your knees or hips. Its easier to edge in slower with good form because you keep your balance.
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       09-03-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   
It could also be the handle if you are losing balance, where are you keeping it? What everyone else has said though is great too! Hopefully something will work!
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-06-2005, 1:08 PM Reply   
Yeah, If you are losing your balance it's not your speed. Travis Moye explained that however you leave the wake is how you will land. The other problem I noticed in myself was that when I landed, my arms were always full extended. If you land like that, then when the boat starts pulling you again, you can't let your arms absorb that and you pull over onto your face.

Beyond that, you really do need to edge all the way through the wake for a wake jump. I can get there from 5-10 feet outside the wake pretty easy, cause the boat is doing all my work while I set my edge.

Eric
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-06-2005, 3:38 PM Reply   
One other thing that I have done (in addition to everything everyone has mentioned)is to shorten up the line, so you hit the wake where it is a bit narrower (as long as the wake still has a nice, clean shape there). Then, by edging all the way through, line tension, standing tall, etc, you have a chance of clearing it. As long as you are using the proper techniques, the shorter line will give you a better chance of succeding. As you get the technique down, let out the line a bit.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-06-2005, 10:17 PM Reply   
I too am having trouble wake 2 wake. When you say stand tall, do you mean before you hit the wake stand tall or bent knees up to the wake, then stand tall on the wake? I'm a bit confused. Thanks for any advice.