Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-30-2005, 4:24 PM Reply   
i've seen pics of this place and it looks incredible. do the pics do it justice? it has something like 1000 miles of shoreline so is it like shasta times 3?

thanks.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-30-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
The grass is greener on the other side. Well in this case it’s true, because it actually rains in Kentucky so Lake Cumberland is surrounded by green vegetation. I go to Cumberland maybe once per year. It’s very scenic, large, and a very good lake for water sports.

Personally I’d like to travel the other direction and take my boat to Lake Powel. I took my family out west a few years ago and rented an 18 foot out board, drove up to the Arch, headed back to the state marina and did a little boarding and knee boarding. For me Lake Powell was so awesome, possibly because it’s different from the lakes in part of the country.

Dale Hollow on the Kentucky / Tennessee boarder is also quite large, and then there’s the land between the Lakes in far western Kentucky. All are very large and worth a trip, well at least from Ohio, I don’t know about traveling from California.

(Message edited by bigshow on August 30, 2005)
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-30-2005, 5:06 PM Reply   
We go to Dale Hollow everyear, which is right near lake cumberland. Dale Hollow is great, in the morning the water is butter, in mid day there are plenty of good coves to hang out in and the food is good. From Ohio its well worth the 5 hour drive for a long weekened or such....
Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-31-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
We went to Bronston Kentucky on Lake Cumberland last year and had an awesome time. We rented a boat and went south from there, we hardly passed but a couple of boats for three hours up river.
I had never been to a place that had such smooth water like the pics on this site!
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-01-2005, 6:21 AM Reply   
Stay away from Cumberland on the weekends unless your main purpose is to party, because you aren't going to find any smooth water.

Your best bet is Dale Hollow. It is near Cumberland, has a lot more smooth water, and is more beautiful.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-01-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
Kentucky Lake in western Kentucky is also pretty good. We have a house there and you can pretty much always find good water plus there are some good places to party on the lake. It's a dry county if you go, however, so make sure you bring all of your booze with you.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-02-2005, 6:59 AM Reply   
Rented a houseboat on Cumberland a few years ago - every moring till noon the water was excellent. There are very few houses on cumberland and most of your boat traffic is from out of towners (like me). Anyway, board in the morning and party at night. Also, did a houseboat on the green river - cumberland is significanly better.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-02-2005, 8:42 AM Reply   
You go south to TN, all the good water you could want :P