Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-18-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
So did anyone go with the diesel this year?
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-18-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
So many $$$$$ don't know why. Even Bio Diesel cost more today. I'm interested in LPG though
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-18-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
Thats probably is the most rediculous "upgrade" in wake boats. The cost on it is absurd relative to a diesel upgrade on a truck and as mark said diesel is 50 to 70 cents more right now.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-18-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
"I'm interested in LPG though"

I don't know much about propane, but may be a little explosive for a boat.

The cost of diesel may be offset by the resale value. I know that in bigger boats, diesel resells a lot higher than gas
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-18-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
It's not a proven commodity in wake boats like it is cars and larger vessels so it remains to be seen if it would hold much of that 15-20k upgrade. In a Vdrive it would make for some good ballast though.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-18-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
If you are actually talking about the VW TDi diesel, we just bought one for my gal. Took 4 months to special order it and we just drove it home tonight. The V10 was about 10k more but for 553 pounds of torque, I think it will pull a boat just fine. (The diesel upgrades are not worth 25k in a boat though.)

Here's a picture taken with my phone about an hour ago.

Upload
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-19-2008, 12:03 AM Reply   
My boat runs propane, so did my last MC. I've not been blown up yet!
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-19-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
Yeah the price is way too much for the upgrade. You could probably swap in a diesel for 1/3 the cost. I like the idea of LPG, but where do you get it? I have never seen a place to actually fill up.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-19-2008, 7:13 AM Reply   
RV centers, hardware stores, propane is available everywhere. The cost savings isn't what it used to be, but it is still cheaper than gasoline. The biggest obstacle is carrying tanks. Unless you have them made, you are going to have to find forklift tanks or outfit for a propane tank.

(Message edited by olSkoolTige on February 19, 2008)
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-19-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
Love the all time easy LPG setup.. A condenser, a mixer, a switch and a view relais... Voila, every gas engine will run on LPG!!
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-19-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
Forklift tanks fit snuggly either side of the engine in a V drive.
I run dual fuel to increase the range as I only get 3hrs or so on propane but generally thats long enough per day for me.

The reduced maintenance on propane is appreciated too.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-19-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
LPG only has about 2/3rds the potential energy of petrol, but LPG motors love turbos. Since the fuel is already vapourised it mixes with the air better and with the forced induction you get back the power you lose from switching fuels. I guess you'd possibly have to change the compression ratio though.

By the way petrol explodes too. An LPG tank won't explode (unless you throw it in a bonfire or something) if there is a breach in the tank the gas may catch fire if it leaks out, but since the tank is under pressure the fire stays on the outside.

(Message edited by Jtnz on February 19, 2008)
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-20-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
Here's our rig... not a TDI but a V8.... wouldn't have it any other way..

Couldn't justify the price difference of the TDI to the V8

Upload