Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-05-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Has anyone here had hernia ( Groin) surgery? How long were you out? I thought it was a pull but it just kept getting worse. My Doc is pretty optimistic on being just a few weeks to a month..
Old    nwwakerider            05-05-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
I have had two ingunal hernia surgerys. The first one they cut me open and I was out for over a month and the second time around I had it done laparoscopic, and was only out for a couple weeks. If you can do it laparoscopic, do it because it hurts a lot less. When I had my first surgery everytime I moved it felt like someone was stabbing me in the groin.
Old     (wakekid11)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-05-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
i had one when i was 16. for me it was during basketball season, so i was out for 6 weeks. i thought it was kinda funny i had one when i was only 16, lol
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-05-2008, 1:48 PM Reply   
He wants to do it with mesh & said that that it won't come back. Also he wants to use a pain pump that numbs the area after surgery for recovery. When you get old like me things start to wear out...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-05-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
I went snowboarding 4-5 weeks post surgery after open. I think it depends on whether they can sew you up, or you need a plug, the plug would require a little longer because of it being a foreign body. They all want to do the mesh, but ask him to wait until he's in there to decide, usually they can just close it
Old    nwwakerider            05-05-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
im 23 and ive had two already. not looking good for the future.
Old     (klp_what)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-05-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
i just got 2 hernias done with the mesh as well last week. After about 3 days I could do almost anything except lift. Maybe 1 or 2 more weeks till I get back on my board to be safe.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-05-2008, 3:17 PM Reply   
I had one when I was five. All I remember is that I was able to request a 7-Up any time I wanted to at the hospital and they would bring it to me. Good times.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-05-2008, 10:42 PM Reply   
I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy! Thanx to a big wire pull (750 MCM)I got one. It was weeks just to get around. the day after the surgery I thought everything inside was going to blow out of my incision. You dont relize how much you use your abdominal muscles till you cramp up in the shower cant move and try to yell for some help. My experience was this, just the slightest amount of pressure against the incision kept the pain at bay. Seriously I would invest in getting the one of those pregnant lady girdle elastic bands that help support their Buddah belly. Im not ashamed to say that I used one and that was what allowed me to get around up straight and walk around with some dignity and not bending over in pain like a cripple. laughing and coughing hurt like hell. However I just had a friend get his hernia surgery and his incision was minimal and he was back to work the next day, with no pain what so ever. Lucky bugger! Good luck bro, I hope your experience is/will be like my buddies and not like what mine was.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-05-2008, 10:45 PM Reply   
I have had 5 hernia surguries they arent that bad these days in and out as it is an out patient procedure these days. My son had a double Hernia 4 years ago and 4 days later he was out riding his Big Wheel.