Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-30-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
thanks for the help in the previous post guys. I found a guy who fixed my existing alternator - I had two fried solonoids ($194). Hopefully I had some water in there that caused the short and not an entire electrical problem.

Anyhow, I can't seem to fit the thing back into the bracket I took it out of. It was a very tight squeeze getting it out and I knew I would have a hard time getting it back in but it definitely doesn't look like it's fitting. Is there anyway I can loosen the bracket? I also think the alternator may not be flush like when new. Grrr... this thing is a pain in the butt.

Any help would be appreciated. Would love to be back on the water tomorrow.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-30-2008, 9:31 PM Reply   
Try to loosen all the bolts where the bracket goes into the engine block and/or heads, if its a 2 piece bracket system this should help, if you have a spacer in there (short piece of round tube metal usually thick and a few inches long that a bolt goes thru before it goes thru alt.) you may have to grind it down just a hair to get everything in there (but you shouldnt have to) if all else fails get it lined up and use a little persuasuion with a pry bar or RUBBER mallet, don't whack it with an every day hammer, although I probably would after getting frustrated enough.
Honestly it should go in pretty easy, make sure its not upside down or anything, and be sure all wires are hooked up correctly because if not once you give power it could fry your wiring
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-01-2008, 1:27 AM Reply   
Had the same problem when I did the timing belt/thermostat in a jetta a couple weeks ago. I used a large screwdriver to pry it back in its hole. It was a pain in the but.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-02-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
Yea i finally got it. Had to loosen the bolts on the bottom bracket. Slid back in perfectly after that.
Thanks guys.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-02-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
Ronia, is that what they told you they did? There is no such thing as solenoids in an alternator.