Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    big_kahuna            11-08-2003, 2:12 PM Reply   
I'm starting to plan a trip to Lake Shasta for late may early june.I not formiliar with the area so I'm looking for some advice on the best place to camp & do some boarding.I'm also looking for adverage temp around that time and the best place to grab a lesson or two? Some input would give me a place to start and would be appreciated
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       11-08-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
check out www.silverthornresort.com, everything you need
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-08-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   
Also check http://www.shastalake.com/ for just about every Lake Shasta tidbit you need.
Old    shakedogg            11-11-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
Rob,
I would personally stay away from driving all the way to silverthorn. Launch at Holiday Harbor or Shasta Marina. Temp of the lake will be still a little chilly but air will be warming up a bit. Check out John Stieners ski school for lessons and find some good riding up the Pit arm.
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-11-2003, 1:18 PM Reply   
hey man...shasta is my homelake
i can tell you anything you need to know.. the good spots and the whole works...let me know
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-11-2003, 1:20 PM Reply   
i would not recomond silverthorn either...go w/ holiday harbor, they have a good instructors w/ a nice brand new mastercraft...most people dont ride w/ instructors on this lake...we just learn from vidoes and other ways, if you ride early, go to freeway cove to the backbone by the dam..if you can take the cold..i would recomond upper mcloud...but dont spread the word...this is my lake and we dont want excess people who just make it choppy
Old    wakeboardputz            11-11-2003, 1:26 PM Reply   
I would definately go to Siverthorn. It is worth the drive. They have a bar & pizza place. Ian Kirk is the best instructor and that is where he has his school. Plus that end of the lake has the best water with both the Pit & Squaw arm. TRUST ME.
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-11-2003, 7:43 PM Reply   
hell no...mcloud is better man
Old     (speedy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-11-2003, 9:37 PM Reply   
I have to agree with wakeboardputz. Ian's school is called Ensane wakeboard camp. I've been the last 2 years and they were great. First year I rode with Ian and This year I rode with Matt, both of them rip!
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-11-2003, 11:09 PM Reply   
Technically "Ensane Wakeboard School" (according to his website) http://www.ensanewakeboarding.com/ - But what does that matter, anyways. They have some great instructors, Ian, Chris, Matt, Dan... Worth it! Cool people to kick it with, too. O yeah, Carla makes some good grub, too.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       11-12-2003, 12:12 PM Reply   
rob - you said you wanted to camp. If you mean tent camp, I highly suggest boating in to Ski Island. You can launch at Packers Bay right off the freeway and be there in a few minutes. Silverthorne is a quick boat trip around the corner for ice, drinks, gas, and food and there are 3 great coves right there. If you want to explore, hit the Pit or Squaw arm in the mid day for great water. That time of year, the lake should be close to full - just anchor your boat by your campsite.

Dave
Old    wakeboardputz            11-12-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
Seeee...Nick, I told you Pit & Squaw are the best. Mcloud is for hosers. Bad water, always ruff unless you go early in the morning.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-12-2003, 3:17 PM Reply   
Packets Bay is awsome. Huge parking lot and not alot of people know about it.... SHH!
Old    jetpilotrider03            11-12-2003, 10:51 PM Reply   
hey wakeboardputz...where the hell have you been man...mcloud always has good water...and if you cant take the cold water thats early in the season..just say so...and man, im not tryin to start something..cause shasta like the unity of riders anyway..we should be bitc*in' about it...but i stil think mcloud has bettter water..and it's way sicker up there
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       11-13-2003, 6:05 AM Reply   
I have to agree with Nick that the McCloud is great - way up PAST Hirtz Bay. The only problem is you burn $20 in gas each way just to get there and the main channel can be really rough. We always find the Pit and Squaw more convenient
Old     (kneebone)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-14-2003, 1:27 AM Reply   
Back to the original question...The only way to camp at Shasta and get away from all of the people is to boat in to a place. Arbuckle flat up the pit is great. Lots of people don't like the pit cause of the trees, but its the best water. The camp grounds up the McCloud are nice, but there's lots of people there. DO NOT go to Beehive beach on the sac near lakehead. If you make it out alive or don't get your car thiefed by the cranksters that live up their you'll be lucky. Late May best bet.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       11-14-2003, 5:11 PM Reply   
Ski Island - boat anchored right next to site.

ski island
Old    wakeboardputz            11-15-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
RightOn...sordave. I camped at that exact spot. It is right around the corner to Silverthorne and not far from Pit & Squaw.