Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old    r3612            02-03-2005, 8:28 PM Reply   
I will be taking a job in Reno NV with the Reno PD in August if everything goes as planned. WAs looking for area to live in possibly near lakes and resorts. I need to be within 30-45 min of Reno as that is where I"d be working.
We're looking to be in the 200k range

Any info would be great

For those who are gonna ask I was offered the job before the TV show started...... but now I want to go even more
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-03-2005, 8:54 PM Reply   
WAIT.....WHAT!!!!!!!..... When did all this come about!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!/?????????
Old    howie            02-03-2005, 11:33 PM Reply   
Sparks is a small area and growing I was looking to move out there last year. very close to reno and close to all the lakes over there also you could also built a house out there for that money, two years ago. do not know now. I have family out there thats all i know.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-04-2005, 11:27 AM Reply   
sorry bro you won't be living too close to any lakes in that range. You might have trouble finding a house at all. The Reno real estate market has picked up quite a bit in the last year
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-04-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
I put out this same post a couple years ago, I found that there were not a lot of lakes close. I think they built a lake in Sparks, but I dont know how public it is. Good thing is that you are close to Tahoe - if you dont mind the drive I recommend living there if you like the lake. I also think there was a newer sub going up between Reno and Tahoe...
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-04-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
If you want to live in Tahoe you are looking at prices around $400k and up. The lake in Sparks is for fishing only, no powerboats. It looks like you got some good info on wb.com. Sparks and Fernley and riding at Pyramid are probably your best bets.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-04-2005, 2:16 PM Reply   
I live in Truckee and commute to Reno. Drive is about 40-45 minutes, taking it easy (60-70 mph). You could live in Glenshire, which is about 15 mins. closer to Reno, and happens to be right next to Boca and Stampede.

I wakeboard on Boca, Stampede and Tahoe on the weekends. I don't have the flexibility to go out mid-week, but if one had to be at work at say, 1pm, you could definitely ride until 10-11am and still make it to work. The lakes up there are only good in the early morning.

Houses up in Truckee and Glenshire are, for sure, above $400K for a 3b, 2ba, however.

Don't know about the Reno housing market, but I think Scott might be on the mark. Lots of Reno folks end up at Boca and Stampede on the weekends...usually churning up the water with their wave runners! J/K, they're usually pretty cool, too. You could live in this area, hit up the nicer Sierra-type lakes on the weekend and hit Pyramid and closer lakes mid-week.

I think that there is a budding crowd of Reno people on this site, though, so you should be able to meet some good folks out here. I usually lurk, but thought that I'd chime in b/c I happen to know kind of a lot 'bout this topic. Good luck.

P.S. No Reno 911 jokes? I've never seen the show so I can't go there.

Old    r3612            02-04-2005, 5:33 PM Reply   
To clarify I'm not looking to live on a lake just close by. I'm used to an hr drive at least one way to d lakes around here. So that isn't a problem. I figured 200-250k would be a very good range. Little on the low end but I want to live comfortably

Oh yeah I have to be in Nevada anyways. So Truckee is out

(Message edited by r3612 on February 04, 2005)
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-05-2005, 8:00 AM Reply   
Brian, where do you live in Truckee?? Do you ever ride behind a black and white SAN. I think I saw you guys out at Boca one morning last summer, not sure though. We usually ride out there in the evenings after work. We should hook up sometime I'd love to ride with some new people in the area.
Old    scubastevebps            02-05-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
Welcome to Reno. I work as a medic up here and i am also looking at getting on with RPD. Let me know if you wanna hang out or have any questions about Reno. There are so many different lakes here to ride usually about 30mins to 2 hours away. For your price range i would suggest Fernly, its about 30min east of reno right next to Lahontan Resevoir. I also suggest Pyramid lake Highway or Truckee, but Truckee can be expensive.
Here's a list of lakes I usually ride
Lahontan
Pyramid Lake
Stampede
Boca
Topaz
Walker
Rye Patch
Tahoe
Donner
and my favorite Jackson Meadows