Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       01-11-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
I am looking at getting a new board this season. I currently ride a 134 LF substance and have liked it so far, it's an 04 and I am ready to try something new. Does the size sound ok? Or would riding a little longer board help me? I am looking for something with good pop but also some smooth landings in the flats! anyone have any ideas?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-11-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
how much do you weigh, and how tall are you?
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       01-11-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
I am a little guy about 5'6 160lbs
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-11-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
might want to try something in the 137-139 range, I would rec the trip 138, which is what I ride and i weigh about 160 aswell. Board is really fast, and has a continuous rocker, not a 3 stage. Also, the Ron1x covin (i believe has a 137) that is a bit simillar to the trip but with a bit more pop, but is also a fast board.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       01-11-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
Thanks Miguel! So you think I need to go with a little longer board?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-11-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
yeah. I used to ride a 134 also, and yes it works and is fun. But landings in the flat are a killer on the knees, and also, when riding on water that isnt glass, then you feel all the bumps and waves, where with a bit longer board its alot smoother on the water and softer on landings. what makes a huge difference too, is when cutting in and out, with the shorter board, it takes more effort, and with the longer board, you go alot faster with alot less effort.

Its kinda like snowboarding in powder with a smaller board(for your size) you have to lean back as hard as you can just to keep the nose up. But if you have a board that is your proper size, then you can just ride and dont really need to worry about leaning back the whole time.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       01-11-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
Thanks Miguel, I have noticed that I have to put a lot of pressure on my back foot! Sounds like a little longer board will help.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-11-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
Brandon, how did you like the substance? what would you improve on the ride, ie faster, holds harder edge, looser, releases easier, ect?
by telling us that we'd be able to point you in the right direction.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       01-11-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
I felt like I had to put a lot of pressure on my back foot. My landings were also wobly. If I didn't land perfect on my inverts I would loose it. edges were ok and speed to me was all about how hard you wanted to cut. As far as release off the wake I thought it was more on the rider and how much you absorbed the wake as to how much pop you could get. Is this all wrong?
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-11-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
I'm 5'6 160lbs and looking at the new Lyman pro model. Im looking at the 135 (which actually measures to 135.4 on the specs under boards on this site) and a 139. It's supposed to be a little faster than the Shane and still land soft.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-11-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
Brandon youre right that the rider has more control over everything else but the board can help out