Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    bmanİ            08-14-2003, 4:51 PM Reply   
I'm trying to learn a ts indy frontroll.. I took a couple tries at it yesterday and from this pic I've noticed a couple things but maybe you guys could point some more out to me..

#1. I should keep the handle closer to my body
#2. I should suck my knees up to my chest to get the grab..

any other pointers/tips on how to nail this?

thanks

first frontroll attempt
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-15-2003, 6:20 AM Reply   
Looks like you are trying a "front roll" and it's going tip over tail. A toe side front roll should be an edge over edge roll. A progressive cut into the wake, pop straigt up and off your toes. Once you are up, drop/tuck your chin to your chest and roll forward or to think of it another way let the wake pop you up and let your forward momentum roll you forward. Keep the handle at your waist. When you are 3/4 of the way through the roll let off with you back hand and spot the landing.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-19-2003, 9:19 PM Reply   
can you do a regular ts front roll? this looks like a hs front flip!
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       08-20-2003, 7:53 AM Reply   
Keep your handle in a better position, and keep your shoulders away from the boat. You are way too open and your arm is almost fully extended. 2 bad things.

(Message edited by canaday on August 20, 2003)
Old                08-21-2003, 5:42 AM Reply   
My best tip for Front rolls is: As you ride up the wake jam your toes into the wake as you pop. It is the difference in me making it or butting it. In the pic it looks like your doing more of a crow. The front roll needs to go over the top.
Old    bmanİ            08-21-2003, 11:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips guys! If I get out to the lake tonight after work I'll give it another go..
It kinda does look like a frontflip hey?

I'm gonna nail this next time out.
Old    bmanİ            08-22-2003, 7:02 AM Reply   
turns out I didn't land it but i did land a hs 540 and a couple tantrums..

I can't seem to keep my arms in on the frontroll.. I can pull some seriously ugly scarecrows but no frontrolls.. I think its got a lot to do with my arms.. They get way extended.. how can I keep them in?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-22-2003, 11:40 AM Reply   
how 'bout some video brian? there are some shots of me trying fronts in this video:

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=8207

im just not getting over on them - but that's more how it should look. don't know how you get so tweaked out. it definitely looks more like a crow. you might want to try taking your back hand off the handle - keeping both on tends to pull you to crow.

another tip from a friend was to conciously keep the handle in - even to the point of pulling on it when you're upside down as that's when the boat will start trying to pull it out of your hands again.

but definitely get some video of it. that'll help folks here give you pointers.

good luck.

Old    bmanİ            08-22-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
I watched your video and that's just how i thought it should look - basically just like a frontflip on a trampoline.. I don't know what my problem is, but yeah, ill definately try and get some video of it for you guys to critique..
Old    bmanİ            09-11-2003, 10:10 PM Reply   
alright i finally got some footage for you guys to critique.. I'm getting much, much, closer on them but my front arm is still getting pulled out and away from my body...

check em out:

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=8889

and

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=8889
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-12-2003, 7:58 AM Reply   
You are right. Keep your arm in.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-12-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   
Brian,

Based on how the video opened up for me, in the very first frame, you are squared up to the boat. That is bad when trying to do a front roll. Try doing a bunch of toeside indy grabs, keeping your shoulders completely turned away from the boat. Concentrate on handle position. After doing that a few times, try taking your front roll up into your trailing hand, and keeping your shoulders turned away from the boat the entire time. That should help you get over your toes for your landing.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-12-2003, 3:18 PM Reply   
ya brian - what happened to the first part of the trick? that's more important - to see how you left the wake.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-12-2003, 3:49 PM Reply   
I would love to see how you do a normal (not grabbed) front roll.
Old    bmanİ            09-12-2003, 4:03 PM Reply   
ya sorry guys, i accidentally linked to the same clip twice.. check this one out if you want..

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=8890
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-12-2003, 6:14 PM Reply   
ya i was going to ask that too sean. can you do a straight ts front roll brian?

like sean said you're definitely coming off the wake wrong. look at this:

crow?

why are you looking at the boat? you've already turned your shoulders. now when you go for the grab...

crow?2

the board is moving away from you, the rope is moving away from you and way over your head...and it's a mess. :-)

definitely you should work on just standing tall, getting your pop and then rotating forward towards the opposite shoreline. just like a front flip off the side of the boat. in fact you might want to try that - try doing a standing front flip off the boat holding the handle with someone holding the rope. that's the rotation you're looking for.
Old    bmanİ            09-12-2003, 7:00 PM Reply   
thanks for the tips.. me and this trick do not get along.. ill try it a bit more this weekend
Old    bmanİ            09-14-2003, 8:14 PM Reply   
landed it second try today. the key was really concentrating on keeping the handle locked on my front hip..
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-14-2003, 9:08 PM Reply   
damn, sweeeet! congrats brian. did you do the indy front or a regular front? got any pics/video??
Old    bmanİ            09-15-2003, 4:11 PM Reply   
indy frontroll. No pics or video this time - season is almost over, maybe 1 or 2 weekends left.. I'll see what I can do during that time.

On another note, i also landed a halfcab roll during the same session.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-15-2003, 4:15 PM Reply   
wow - sweet on the half-cab roll. i've only tried one and got completely lost.

on another note - you need to move!