Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (jcush313)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-09-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
just wondering if this has happened to anyone else before? i use the thumb screw claws so i don't have to carry a screw driver everywhere. will i got spanked so bad yesterday that i ripped the thumb screw in half and bent the whole claw on the board.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-09-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
hey cush,
thats why the thumb screws are found on all beginner to intermediate boards...get a damn screw driver on the boat and clamp those things down like a man would ya..
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-09-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
Funny. I saw the title and immediately thought you were referring to a move a guy I ride w/ throws.

I give you.. The Claw (aka The Pterodactyl):
Upload
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-09-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
haha thats hilarious!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-09-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
I use the thumb screws for the same reason and have for over 5 years. Never had any problems
Old     (jcush313)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-09-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
ill see if i can get a picture up to show u it. mayb you will get an idea of how i about died haha!
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-09-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
"The Claw" in question.

Upload
Old     (jcush313)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-09-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
thats it!
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-09-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
Get all metal claws.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-09-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
It didn't break because he used a thumb screw, it broke because of the force of the wreck.

I think it's funny that people think thumb screws are a bad thing and only good for beginners. When I am getting into my bindings, it's easy for me to reach down and check my thumb screws and tighten them if necessary. With regular screws it's hard to tell if they are loose and if they are, then you need to dig out the screw driver.

I would rather be using my time riding, then looking for tools!
Old     (jcush313)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-09-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
glad some1 agrees with me about the thumb screws! u rock dude haha. and yes i did get spanked thats how they broke not because they are junk.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-09-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
The REVERSE claw..
Upload
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-09-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
I was thinking the same thing Dan.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-09-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
I have to say, I think the claw is the worst design on a boot in the industry. It cost my daughter and ACL when the thing broke.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-09-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
damn mike, nice boat.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-10-2008, 6:47 AM Reply   
Thanks Derek, actually my profile pic is my 07. I never updated it to my 08. It is a silver metalflake. No reason to change it now, my 09 gets built next month. It is going to be an Ice Blue metalflake Xstar.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-10-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
I have seen that happen to a claw too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have to both agree AND disagree with you J Jakober. It is nice to reach down and check the bolts, yes. but you have to agree that some of the thumb bolts out there don't seem to have the same diameter of coverage as the "pro/ advanced-style" bolts. OR there is just more plastic used overall compared to the "pro/ advanced" screws. I could be wrong here saying this. I do think that some of the "pro" bolts are stronger than thumbs, but maybe not all of them though. (speaking of the entire wake market collectively and not just HY)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't like having to worry about tools either (especially losing them on or OFF the boat).. but that is ok. I can even change my stance and angles WHILE i am riding (if i wanted to). Lovin' my slingshot D2 boots! hope company-wake and some other companies new and old make something similar, only then would i consider switchin' ;)
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-10-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
I have a picture of what I call the scorpion, it is like the claw, but it is more over the head, arm curved and it looks like the stinger of a scorpion. I see people doing it on their toeside approach.
In response to the original poster, at least the claw failed and you didn't rip the insert out of the board. I have done that twice. Maybe the claw is designed to "fail" instead of ripping the insert out.
Old    thebiggmann            10-11-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
If you're looking for a place to unload your '08, I would be more than happy to take if off your hands Haha jk man, but nice boat.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-11-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
I use thumb screws for the same reason of being able to check while riding. I don't like to have to find a tool, especially at a contest. i can't tell you how many times a rider runs from the starting dock panicking looking for a screwdriver. The claw that is shown in the pic is a new one that didn't have the right insides to keep it on. they have remedied the fault but I like the old ones anyhoo.