Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (robie)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-05-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
So I am an idiot and wasn't thinking as I drove into a garage this morning while pulling my boat. Needless to say the tower didn't make it. I ripped the tow ball off, one of the bolts sheered at the base of the tower, the tower is bent and cracked, and the front starboard side screws ripped out but no the fiber glass looked ok at a glance.

What is my insurance company going to say when I call them with this? Will claiming this greatly increase my insurance next year? Will they try to fix the tower I have or just replace it?

Any suggestions on how to proceed with this will help. Thanks guys.

Not the best way to end a great weekend on the lake.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-05-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
who is your insurance with? what are your deductibles?
Old     (robie)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-05-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
I have to check when I get home. I think the deductible is $500 but I am not sure. Are some companies much better about working with you on things like this than others? I got it through a place in Dallas that Texas MasterCraft recommended.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-05-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
I am going through a claim with Foremost (Division of Farmers) as we speak. There is essentially two types of coverage on your boat, what they call the hull and personal property. Each category in my plan has a $500 deductable. Essentially, what it comes down to in my case with Foremost is, if you can take out of the boat it is personal property (coverage $1000). If it is attached to the boat (hull, engine, including stereo, marine equipment, upgrades such as towers) it is covered in the Hull categorty (coverage up to $40,000). From what I have learned over the last few months is that your tower is part of the hull and each insurance company is different in terms of the impact it will have on your rates. Since boating accidents happen less often than car accidents they are not quick to up your rates, but each case is handed seperately.
Old     (robie)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-05-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
Jason,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am going to call tomorrow. My deductible is $265 on Property Damage which is how my company breaks out the boat compared to personal property and the trailer.

I will let you guys know how this turns out for me. I don't think the tower can be repared, and i sure as hell don't want another of the same defective tower (I have had to have it welded twice so far). You guys think there is any chance I can get one of the new MC towers put on there?
Old     (robie)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-05-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
My insurance company is INAMAR Recretional Marine Insurance. Anyone have experience with them?
Old     (kbrowning)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-06-2006, 6:07 AM Reply   
Andrew,

You should be able to replace with whatever tower you like. They are going to repay you only what it costs to put the tower on that you had previously. If the new style tower is $500 more, you will make up the difference.

In an insurance claim it all boils down to the policy language. I sell commercial insurance, so I am not as versed on the personal insurance marketplace...but I have never heard of INAMAR. Hopefully, being that they specialize in Marine insurance, they are writing a quality product. I hope you have a good experience and your back on the water soon.