Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-19-2011, 8:18 PM Reply   
Hey guys. I go to lake powell about 3 times each summer(wakeskate), and have looked for these certain backwaters ever since i saw them on fuel tv's brostock 09. The wakeskate competition during brostock took place in an area id never seen before in the 10 years ive been going to powell. I was just curious if anyone here knows where the wakeskate competition the 09 brostock took place.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-19-2011, 9:37 PM Reply   
if i am correct then the first half of this video should look familiar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsvPahN8Yk0

it was located in the furthest reaches of warm creek, the most northen stretch, just 2 miles further up the canyon from brostock camp

although this took place during the 08 bro stock, i know it was heavily used for wakeskating during the 08 one

the area is short and has since changed (as the fluctuating levels of powell tend to do) and is less friendly for wake. hard to get wake to wake without hitting bushes. i imagine finding this or any other spot used back then will be slim at best. it is a whole different lake each day, especially during spring when the lake rises a foot a day!
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-20-2011, 8:21 PM Reply   
That spot is it. Thank you so much for completing my long learn search!
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-20-2011, 9:20 PM Reply   
that spot may be under water for a while... Which spot, the one lined with bushes?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-21-2011, 10:42 PM Reply   
ya the spot with bushes on each side.

it was much smoother water back in there, but it was only 2 miles long at best, and not straight.
the video was 08 which was the year the lake finally made the castle rock cut passable so it was the first time that wash had seen lake water in years. the lake came up probably 10 ft higher since the filming of that video in the next month or two following. you would almost think it might make it better to have more water, but it made it harder to go wake to wake as said above.
i will have to see if i can find some footage from last summer riding it and how much it changed. It was super fun to ride in and be totally enclosed. you could turn around and go right back in and it would be glass again because the bushes would absorb the waves. but where the bushes helped they also made things difficult and get in your way. If only the bushes were twice as far apart and the canyon had no bends and was twice as long it would be PERFECT! ohh and watch for that dead end that creeps up on ya. hahaha