Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-13-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
Looking at a 2000-2002 Malibu v-drive, probably a 21 foot unless i find a 23 foot boat at a good deal and if the 23 ft will still give good performance. Is there a difference between the hulls on these boats, VLX vs. LSV. Also, how about different wakes... wakeboarding and surfing are what i do most.
Old    stoked27            02-13-2005, 11:22 AM Reply   
don't know about the hull difference, but I know that the VLX won't disappoint you. I've got a 2004 VLX. I think (don't hold it against me) that the only difference is the location of the engine with the v-drive. Call a malibu dealer, they'dknow.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-13-2005, 12:50 PM Reply   
shooot! i should know this, but check out www.malibuboatowners.com they know everything.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-13-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
Not 100% sure but I believe the LSV has the diamond hull which is crap for wakeboarding. Make sure that it does not have the diamond hull. You will also want to make sure the VLX is not a diamond hull. I believe those years they are unless it is a wakesetter then it is the good hull. This past year we put 3500 pounds in my friends sunsetter direct drive with the diamond hull and the wake still blew.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-13-2005, 6:32 PM Reply   
here's an excellent article from MBO on hull differences:
http://www.malibuboatowners.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid= 46&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-13-2005, 7:33 PM Reply   
what hull did they use on the '04 VLX?
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       02-13-2005, 9:18 PM Reply   
Do yourself a favor... Make sure you don't get the diamond hull. The wake hull is really good, and doesn't take a whole lot of weight to crank up a big wake. The Diamond hull on the other hand, does. Like Stan said, you can load the diamond hull with a lot of weight, and it still won't produce a respectable wake. We had the same problem this last summer. We had roughly 2200 lbs., plus the wedge, and the wake wasn't where it should have been... Plus, it had a wierd shape to it.

The diamond hull is made for skiing, and not throwing a wake... It does a good job of it too, but I don't think it works sufficiently as a wakeboarding hull.

-Blake
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       02-13-2005, 9:22 PM Reply   
The 04 VLX has the wake hull. Believe it, or not, but the only noticible difference is the outer 2-3" of the hull. Instead of angling up (with the flow of the v-hull), the diamond hull angles down, therefore causing the boat to rise as it moves through the water. It's a small difference, but it's definitely noticible when you're behind the boat.

-Blake
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-13-2005, 9:30 PM Reply   
The '04 VLX had the SV23 Hull.
The '05 Ride has the SV23 Hull.
The '05 VLX has the V25 Hull
The '05 WSLSV has the V25 Hull.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       02-13-2005, 9:38 PM Reply   
I think there is a SV23 Diamond, and a SV23 Wake hull... The VLX has the wake hull, LSV has the diamond hull, but this is on the 2004 models, I don't know squat about the 05's.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-13-2005, 9:57 PM Reply   
To clarify, All of the hulls I listed above are the Wake Hull.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       02-13-2005, 10:21 PM Reply   
oh, damn! Troy busted me on that one.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-14-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
There are some un-informed opinions here unfortunately.... Both boats listed have sick wakes. They did make hull changes, but both the old and the new hulls are good. All the VLX's are sick. The LSV's are sick also. Main difference being the amount of weight to produce a huge wake. The LSV is bigger and takes more weight. I regularly ride behind an '01 LSV and a '04 LSV. They are both wicked. I actually prefer the '01. I think the wake is cleaner.

Stay away from the Sunsetter and Sunsetter LSV. Not that the wake isn't useable, but it isn't on the same level ast he LSV. Pick which boat you want based on sizing and enjoy.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-14-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
the 04 and 05 ws LSVs have the same hull as on the 05 ws vlx. LSV is great if you bring out more people on a regular basis, then the wake is about the same as the vlx.